Rossiters!

  • sarah keerie
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi everyone

      I have more info re Frederick C Rossiter (and other snippets).

      Frederick was born 23 Feb 1880 in Teynham and left England for Canada in
      c1910. He was to join the brick works at Glat Mine Company, however, he
      ended up working in the Lethbridge Freight Sheds for the Canadian Pacific
      Railway. He died in 1978 (awaiting the actual date).

      Fred married Gertrude Edith Ireland who was 15 years younger and from
      Bolton, Lancs. They had two sons, David Charles Rossiter and Brian
      Frederick Rossiter (Brian died in Nov 1998) in Richmond BC. His ashes are
      laid to resit in the Field of Honor at Mountain View Cemetary.

      David Charles Rossiter had a son and daughter, David and Barbara Jean.
      David lives in Lethbridge and he has given me this info. Barbara lives in
      Toronto. David has a son, Paul, by his first marriage and an adopted
      daughter with his second wife, Dory Dowling.

      Siblings of Elizabeth Rose:
      Nell (Eleanor) lived in Cornwall. She married Laurie Bentley.
      Alice married Bob White. Three children. A daughter married to Basil
      Freestone (newspaper publisher & writer) in 1972 they lived in Rochester and
      I think that the daughter still does.
      Gwen, married to Norman Smith - they adopted Tony Weller (who took their
      name and became Smith-Weller)
      and a brother, Bob (Robert?). Robert was shot and killed by his son,
      Phillip c1970 in Georgetown, Ontario.

      Oliver G born c1878 - a mystery still, he just upt and left the family never
      to be heard of again.

      I have been reading through what Glynn sent and wonder whether they are a
      match to any of "my" Rossiters or whether any more light can be shed upon
      them:

      I have an Edward, born c1853 son of John Rossiter and Jane Eason. (1861
      living at Milton aged 8 / 1871 Frognall, Teynham aged 17). I wonder whether
      the following is this Edward:

      1891 Census Milton (living at 17 Cockelshell Walk, Sittingbourne)
      Edward, aged 39, General Labourer born Sittingbourne
      Rosa, wife, aged 38, born Sittingbourne
      Children:
      Edward 12, scholar, Sittingbourne
      William, 10, scholar, Sittingbourne
      Emily, 9, scholar, Sittingbourne
      Annie, 6, scholar, Sittingbourne
      Jane, 3, Sittingbourne
      George, 1, Sittingbourne
      Spickett, Charlotte, sister, 24, Sittingbourne
      Spicket, Lily, niece, 1, Sittingbourne

      In the 1881 census they are living at 11 Cockleshell Road, Sittingbourne
      Edward, 29, Labourer at Cement Works
      Rosey, 27
      Children:
      Rosey, 4
      Edward, 1 (note Edward s/o Edward & Rosa, Labourer, bp Sittingbourne,
      25.4.1880)
      (George Bowes, Lodger)

      I did spot another Edward a lodger at 6 Westgate Road Faversham, aged 27,
      Foreman of Brickworks in the 1881 Census (Faversham) living with Mary Rhodes
      so maybe this is Edward and not the one above!!!

      William/Hester Marden references:
      Emily Victoria, d/o William & Hester, Labourer bp 23.12.1844 Sittingbourne -
      could this be another daughter?
      George Henry, s/o William & Hester, Labourer bp .5.4.1846 Sittingbourne - a
      son?

      Other references:
      Albert Rossiter s/o Edward and Rosa, Labourer, bp Sittingbourne 27 Aug
      1882 - although he doesn't appear in the 1881 census listed (so guess he was
      born
      after the census was taken in the April) above nor in the 1891.

      Any thoughts gratefully received.
      Sarah
    • Sarah Keerie
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2002
        Perchance would anyone know whether the following Edith MILLEN who appears in the 1881 census is the one that married Charles George ROSSITER

        Dwelling: 87 High St

        Census Place: Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Source: FHL Film 1341232 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0975 Folio 72 Page 10

        Marr Age Sex Birthplace

        John MILLEN M 63 M Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Head

        Occ: Butcher & Farmer

        Frances MILLEN M 62 F Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Wife

        Emma MILLEN U 35 F Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Daur

        Cordelia MILLEN U 33 F Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Daur

        Edith MILLEN U 21 F Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Daur

        Ernest A. MILLEN U 15 M Sittingbourne, Kent, England

        Rel: Son

        Occ: Butcher

        Another one I am stuck on is Hester Rossiter, "married" to James Kitchingham, I can't find her in the 1881 census so perhaps she had died, her daughter was living with Hester's parents in Teynham.

        TIA

        Sarah