Rossiter in Dorset, UK

  • Dave Rossiter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2000
      Dear All,

      As I know someone out there is researching the Rossiter family from Child
      Okeford in Dorset I thought you might be interested in this note from Robin
      in the village.

      All the best for the New Year -
      (If the Greenwich 2000 web site recognises that this is the last year of
      the 20th century - it's good enough for me!!)

      Dave R.

      >>From sf.clay@... Sun Jan 02 15:01:42 2000
      >From: "Susie Clay" <sf.clay@...>
      >Subject: Rossiter in Dorset, UK
      >Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 15:02:47 -0000
      >
      >Hello, Dave!
      >
      >My Churchwarden has asked if I would contact any Rossiters, as they have
      >discovered a Rossiter (Rositer) Vault in the Church - there was a Rossiter
      >family in "The Big House" here in Child Okeford, Dorset, for many years
      >prior to about 1880.
      >
      >Please pass this message on....
      >

      >Regards -- Robin

    • Bill & Ann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
        Hi Dave & Merv;

        Yes, I did get this message. This is the one that I told you about Merv,
        where the workmen were attempting to move the 13th century font when the
        floor caved in.

        It turns out that the 200 yr. old, 8 inch beam had rotted through & with the
        added weight of the men, disintegrated. When the archaeologist went into
        the crypt they found that the stone (used for the floor) was actually a
        gravestone, taken from the graveyard, & placed face-down on the floor. The
        churchwarden said that it was very plain that the gravestone had been in the
        graveyard for many years before being brought inside & used as part of the
        floor.

        The scenario they have put together but cannot prove is this:

        There was a new guy came to town who had money. He worked with the minister
        of the church at that time, who also came from a family with money. Between
        the two of them they tried to eradicate any mention of any influential
        families in the town.

        He says that they know that there are other family crypts under the church
        floor but that it would cost far too much to dig it up to find out who they
        were. Apparently these two chappies did quite a number on the good folks of
        Child Okeford. He was very suspicious when they couldn't find any mention
        of the crypt in the church record books so went looking for an explanation.

        Now I have something else to search out. What was the beef between the
        ROSSITER clan & the 2 guys with money? Or did somebody just want to be
        'King Rat'?

        The fact that the ROSSITERs found a way to make their presence known just
        goes to show you you can't keep a good man down. :))

        Happy New Year to you both from a balmy -3C Ontario, Canada

        Ann
        petersw@...