SOM: Foxcote, Out of Records error :-(

  • Dave Rossiter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 1999
      Hi all,

      Looking for ideas here.

      I've just had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours in Taunton R.O.
      where I have been tracing my ROSSITER family.

      Problem is , once you get to 1685 in the tiny village of Foscott (Foxcote)
      there are very few if any records left to refer to.

      I've checked the BTs (which are extremely patchy) and every early document
      relating to the village.

      I've been able to confirm some information passed to me by David Smart,
      regarding an Indenture of Lease dated 1687 from Hubert Orange to Abraham
      Rositer (son of James and father of James & John) who is the last ancestor
      I can positivey identifiy.

      I also know that in 1632 James Rositer was Church Warden
      and in 1621 William Rositer was Church Warden

      and that a John Roseter & Anne his wife had daughters
      Margarite baptised 6 Feb 1630
      Sarah baptised 1 Jan 1632

      Perhaps the Churchwarden James was the son of Churchwarden Wm.
      and perhaps Abraham was the grandson of churchwarden James.

      How can I find out more ??

      It's most inconsiderate of these ancient rectors to lose their records!!

      Would anyone know if there could be other sources - perhaps Bristol or
      BANES record offices who might have some info which could help.
      Dave Rossiter

      Home Page - http://www.btinternet.com/~dave.r/index.htm

      Researching :-
      ROSSITER,------------------------------------ > SOMERSET > LONDON