ROSSITERs in Foxcote

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 1998
      I got Bristol RO to send me a copy of the 1690 indenture by which the
      Manor of Foxcote was sold by Hugh IVY to Robert SMITH of Frome. I hoped
      it might mention the mill referred to in the marriage of Ann ROSSITER
      'of the mill' to Samuel ALBORN in 1698. No luck on this, and it actually
      says nothing of interest.

      BUT, BRO sent me a copy of the handlist of Ashton Court (SMITH/SMYTHE
      family) deeds for Foxcote, and it mentions:

      - a lease dated 1687 by Humphry ORANGE (then owner of the Manor) to
      'Abraham ROSSITER of Laverton, tailor'for the messuage occupied by James
      R, father of Abe R, giving details of the land. This is presumably the
      Abe who married Frances GIBBS in Fx in 1682.

      - a lease dated 1693/4 by Robert SMITH to John R of Fx, carpenter, with
      land in the Tennants Feild adjoining the Fx-Bath Rd on three lives. This
      could be John 'Senr' or John husband of Jane his (?) son.

      David Smart
      London, England

      Guild of One-Name Studies member #2027
      POBJOY, POPJOY, POPEJOY, POBGEE etc. any time, any place!
      Website at http://freespace.virgin.net/david.smart6