Re: **** 1881 CENSUS ****

  • Merv Rossiter
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
      Hi Tracy

      The following information has just come to hand.

      Charles ROSSITER bapt 25 June 1809, m 1829 to Sarah HODGES, b 1810 at
      Kilmersdon, d 1866.
      They had a son Solomon bapt 28 May 1829 Kilmersdon, m Joanna PARFITT, b
      1837, d 1865.
      Solomon remarried 1866 to Elizabeth CARTER

      Solomon and Joanna had children, Albert b 10 Apr 1858 Coleford, d
      1858.,Agnes Ann b 1859,
      Ann b 1861, d 1861.,Ellen Louise b 1862.

      Dave has listed the St.Caths index numbers which are as follows.

      Solomon ROSSITTER, d 1899 Frome Mar 1/4 5c 316
      Joanna ROSSITER, d 1865 Frome Dec 1/4 5c 358

      I am still looking for the parents of Charles ROSSITER (b 1809). If you
      can help, I would be
      obliged.

      With best wishes

      Merv Rossiter
      merv@...
      http://www.winshop.com.au/merv/ (Rossiter newsletter)
      http://www.winshop.com.au/merv/rossiter (personal homepage)
      Researching the Rossiter family name world wide

      ----------
      > From: Dave Rossiter <Dave.R@...>
      > To: Tracie Wallace <Tracie_Wallace@...>
      > Cc: rossiter@onelist.com
      > Subject: [rossiter] Re: **** 1881 CENSUS ****
      > Date: Sunday, 31 January 1999 2:38
      >
      > From: Dave Rossiter <Dave.R@...>
      >
      > At 11:35 25/01/1999 +0000, you wrote:
      > > Hi Dave
      > >

      > > Would you please have a look for Soloman ROSSITER who was married
      > > to Joanne Parfit. Joanne died sometime between 1859 and 1891, so
      > > if she is on the 1881 census, this will narrow the date down
      > > somewhat. They had children Agnes Ann bor 1859, Albert born 1857
      > > and Ellen Louise born 1862, although obviously the children may not

      > > be living at home.
      > >
      > > Soloman should be around 52 years old, I'm not sure how old Joanne
      > > would have been.
      > >
      > > Soloman was born in Kilmersdon, Somerset and he was married
      > > probably in Frome Somerset.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Tracie
      > >

      > Hi Tracie,
      >
      > Results of the search not all that promising....
      >
      > There was one SOLOMAN R. and one SOLOMON R. in the 1881 list
      >
      > ROSITER, Soloman, 41, M, Head, M, YKS, Castleford, Coal Miner,
      > Self, SOM, Midsomer Norton, 4594, 105, 28,#, 1840
      >
      > ROSSITER, Solomon, 56, M, BroL, M, SOM, Babington, Coal Miner,
      > COOMBS, Alfred, SOM, Ashwick, 2404, 61, 36, #, 1825
      >
      > The only Joanne listed was -
      >
      > ROSSITER, Joanne, 73, F, Wife, M, SOM, East Penna+, Ag Lab Wife,
      > ROSSITER, Edward, SOM, East Pennard, 2408, 68, 5, #, 1808
      >
      > The only candidate for Solomon's death was -
      >
      > 1899, Mar, Rossitter, Solomon, 69, Frome, 5c, 316, 1830
      >
      > No Joannes listed in the death index but there were -
      >
      > 1865, Dec, Rossiter, Joanna, , Frome, 5c, 358,
      > 1886, Dec, Rossiter, Joanna, 78, Shepton Mallet, 5c, 354, 1808
      >
      > However I think I found Albert in the census -
      >
      > ROSSITER Albert, 24, M, Bord, U, SOM, Frome, Groom (8),
      > ALLARD, Mary, SOM, Elm, 2401, 5, 3, #, 1857
      >
      > And possibly Ellen -
      >
      > ROSSITER, Ellen, 21, F, Serv, SOM, Stanton Pr+, Housemaid Dom+,
      > BROWN, W.S. (Revd), SOM, Leigh On Mendip, 2448, 60, 4, #, 1860.
      >
      > Census Fields are -
      > Surname, Forename/s, Age, Sex, Relationship to Head, Marital Status,
      Census
      > County, Census Parish, Occupation, Name of Head, Birth County, Birth
      Parish,