Introducing myself

  • David.Smart@xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 1998
      Hi!

      I'm interested in ROSSITERs via POBJOY research, particularly in a
      triangle between Bath and Wells in Somerset and Trowbridge in Wilts.

      I have three POBJOY/ROSSITER marriages, possibly unconnected:

      Robert PJ of Wellow = Mary R of Foxcote at Gt Elm (nr Frome), 1742

      Edward R = Ann PJ, botp, Frome St John, 1783

      James PJ (cord[waine]r) = Elizabeth R, Norton St Philip, 1804. From the
      Census she was born in Laverton in 1775, and Tracie W has found her
      baptism for me.

      A further PJ/R connection is that the death of Charles PJ, master
      shoemaker, in Frome in 1865 was registered by his neighbour C[harles]
      ROSSITER, who was present at death. Charles PJ left his money to Henry
      SIMPSON, s/o Robinson and Ann S. Hy was a judge's clerk and gave his son
      Edgar the middle name ROSSITER. I wonder if his mother Ann was a
      ROSSITER, but haven't found a marriage.

      I have been through the Foxcote PRs, extracted ROSSITERs to 1840 and
      sketched an outline of their descent. This is helped by some leases I
      got from Bristol RO. I've also checked some sections of Wellow for
      ROSSITERs.

      I recently downloaded Soms, Wilts and Glos ROSSITERS from the IGI,
      including the new (1997) addendum. I have this as a text file, which can
      probably be read as a GEDCOM. I'm currently working through this
      material to fit it into my existing ROSSITER database.

      David Smart
      London, England

      Guild of One-Name Studies member #2027: POBJOY and variants worldwide
      Website at http://freespace.virgin.net/david.smart6