Re: Sexual moderation/abstinence

  • orderofthegrail
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
      Sexual Moderation? Hmmm, I think all things should be taken in
      moderation including moderation. Sexual Abstinence? A great way to
      develop various neurotic disorders. Chastity? Much better, if you
      define Chastity as "Sacred Love", in other words, sex used as a
      sacrament and a gift with all the consideration and care that would
      normally be given to and with a dearly loved one.

      The best book I've yet read on the subject is Elizabeth
      Haitch's "Sexual Energy and Yoga" by Elisabeth Haich. Here's a link
      to it on Powell's books: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?
      inkey=1-0943358035-8

      The idea of controlling the only energy that can effectively
      override the mind's control (the mind, says Blavatsky, is "..the
      slayer of the real) is not a good idea. Only the heart effictively
      coaxes, matures, and transforms sexual and emotional energy, using
      it's heat for an alchemical transformation of the vehicles. Why
      would you want to "turn off" the tap through which flows Love and
      Life? Of course, you cannot, ultimately control it. It will break
      free in some uncontrollable urge eventually...is that what you want?

      Love casteth out fear, and fear is CONTROL!!!!!

      Donna

      In rosicrucianinlebanon@yahoogroups.com, william_humes
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Good question Mary,
      > I myself am celibate, having relations only with other celibates.
      > (joke) I consider that human being have two major areas of focus
      > available. Call them above and below. Physical and spiritual.
      Some
      > call Spiritual and psychic the same thing, though they are not.
      In
      > any event, you can focus your awareness in one area at a time
      only.
      > Sex, being physical, draws the mind into involvment with material
      > things. When the mind is so involved it is doing nothing toward
      > spiritual goals. If Sex is allowed to become an obsession
      progress
      > is stalled. Same with food or money or any material thing. The
      > focus of the mind can be above/inner or below/outer. There is, of
      > course, a spiritual/metaphysical aspect to sex. Males have a
      female
      > aspect and females have a male aspest. Sex can allow each aspect
      in
      > turn to be experienced, and the internal balance of ones own
      aspects
      > is an important pursuit. It can be pursued in other ways and sex
      is,
      > after all, distracting. Supression af any part of one's nature is
      > not a good thing because it will eventually burst free and in the
      > meantime will color your perceptions of all things unknowingly.
      > William(retrotech)
      >
      > --- In rosicrucianinlebanon@yahoogroups.com, "Mary"
      > <mensagrrrl@y...> wrote:
      > > Hate to open a "can of worms," but what do you all think of
      sexual
      > > moderation/abstinence as a factor in spiritual growth?
      > >
      > > Mary
    • MD
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
        Thank you for your comments, I must agree.

        --- orderofthegrail <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
          Thanks, your comments were very meaningful.

          --- william_humes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • william_humes
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2003
            The idea of controlling the only energy that
            > > can effectively
            > > override the mind's control is not a good idea.

            Yes, this is true. Is that what is happening though? Mind, in some
            reckonings, is the end product of the parts of the body, and any one
            of those tiny minds has the power to make itself heard, or even
            dominate, the thinking and actions of the whole. But, if you are
            very hungry, in any way, the mind is not over-ridden, but re-
            directed, and may become much more clever in achieving it's desire.
            Of the seven major Chakras, the lower three are called the profane.
            They deal with the needs and desires of the body and it's
            maintenance. They are quite well enough developed and need no
            further attention in most people. The heart, throat, brow, and
            crown, deal with progressively higher aspects of the being. The
            heart and crown are said to be the only two in the body which are in
            direct contact with the higher self. If anyone wishes to use sexual
            energy in conjunction with higher centers the energy is quite
            vibrant, but as I pointed out, the activity is distracting and it
            becomes difficult to maintain focus on anything higher while it's
            going on.
          • MD
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
              >If anyone
              > wishes to use sexual
              > energy in conjunction with higher centers the
              > energy is quite
              > vibrant,

              How does one do this?

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
                MD,
                Everyone? teaches a different method and you would probably devise
                your own. The whole being participates in everything we do, but our
                focus is the critical thing. Think of the Chakras as a strip of film
                negatives and the mind (not a good word to use) as a magnifying glass
                trained on the strip. You focus on one frame and the rest are still
                there at the edges of view, but shrunken. Eating or breathing or
                drinking become a different activity if you shift your focus. Sex
                can be an animal act or an act of love or an exercize in science or a
                spiritual union. As I said sex is distracting. Try dividing your
                attention while it is going on. Try focusing on the throat Chakra
                and it's qualities even just a bit. Try reciting your favourite poem
                or the cast of Friends. Maybe it is better to work the Psychic
                centers each alone by themselves rather than trying to divert a bit
                of the sexual energy. Still, there are Tantric Yoga sites all over
                the web. It would be better to do it with a teacher as it can go
                quite wrong.
                William(retrotech)

                --- In rosicrucianinlebanon@yahoogroups.com, MD <mensagrrrl@y...>
                wrote:
                > >If anyone
                > > wishes to use sexual
                > > energy in conjunction with higher centers the
                > > energy is quite
                > > vibrant,
                >
                > How does one do this?

              • MD
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
                  Bill,

                  thanks for your explanation. Without seeming
                  immodest--I brought up the initial question
                  because my partner seems overly focused on sex
                  although he claims to be on a spiritual path. He
                  is in fact one of the most spiritual people I
                  have ever been close to, however, I wondered if
                  we were overexpending our energies & thus
                  hindering our psychic development.

                  Mary

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
                    Mary,
                    When the psychic centers become more efficient the extra energy
                    accumulated invigorates all parts of the being. Good and bad. Bad
                    habits and appetites as well as good. Whatever is there to begin
                    with is strengthened. Joyful activities are not a bad thing but the
                    extra energy might be used in other ways. Karma becomes involved
                    here. All the admonishments to serve others are for a good reason.
                    It is safest for the developing student to concentrate on being of
                    service to others while developing these talents and techniques. A
                    certain time each day might be set asside for sending healing
                    energies to those in need. This will draw energy into higher
                    spheres. Balance is the important thing.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
                      Thank you, I think I understand.

                      Mary