Ella Wheeler Wilcox, an Amercian Poet, Journalist and Free Thinker

  • hercullesrj
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      Ella Wheeler Wilcox

      AUDREY GLOVER

      Many Rosicrucian students will remember Ella Wheeler Wilcox as the
      poet of whom Max Heindel wrote in The Rosicrucian Cosmo-
      Conception, "Ella Wheeler Wilcox, with the true compassion of all far
      advanced souls, champions this occult maxim ( There is One Life - the
      Life of God ) in the following beautiful words," and them quotes her
      poem, "The Voice of the Voiceless." But probably few know that she
      met Max Heindel and conversed with him, as she relates in her
      autobiography, "The Worlds and I", published shortly before her death
      in 1919.

      That Ella Wheeler Wilcox was an advanced soul is evidenced in her
      voluminous poetry. Her words of faith, hope, love, compassion, and
      spiritual wisdom must have helped and cheered millions of people, for
      she was well known over this country and in England for many years.
      Her life motto, she tells us, was Service. Her family was for the
      most part scornful of all things religious, yet she writes,

      "From the hour I could think, I always thought with reverence and
      love of God, the Great Creator of this wonderful universe. Faith was
      born in my soul, and as a little child my believe in prayer and in my
      guardian angels haloed my world."

      She was often hurt by the irreverence shown in her family and goes
      on to say,

      "In after years I understood why this was. Being an old soul myself,
      reincarnated many more times than any other member of my family, I
      knew the truth of spiritual things not revealed to them. I could not
      formulate what I knew, but what I felt myself the spiritual parent of
      my elders; and I longed to help them to clearer sight."

      Ella Wheeler was born in 1855 on a farm in Wisconsin, the youngest of
      four children. Her childhood and youth were meager in physical
      comforts, and in mental, emotional, and spiritual satisfactions. She
      started writing poetry at a very early age, and was well known as a
      poet in her own state by the time she graduated from high school.
      When about 28 years of age , she married Robert Wilcox. They had one
      child , a son, who died shortly after birth.Not long after their
      marriage, they both became interested in Theosophy and accepted its
      teachings. Thoughout life, they were always interested in psychic and
      spiritual matters . Early in their married life, they promised each
      other that whoever went first to the
      realms beyond would return and communicate with the other, if
      possible, and they had little doubt but that it was possible.

      Robert Wilcox died in 1916, after over thirty years of close and
      loving companionship with his wife. She was overcome with grief,
      which became ever more intense as week after week went without any
      message from him.She visited famous mediums all over the country, and
      also a number of "Wise Ones" of various religious and philosophies,
      without finding what she sought. A stay at a Theosophical retreat
      helped her to become calmer, and good friends there warned her
      against blind dependence on spiritualism. She tells it thus,

      "Opposed to spiritualism, which degenerates into fortune telling,
      and, which delays the souls of those gone on by continual appeals to
      return for trivial purposes, they yet approved of my investigations
      into the occult, knowing my purpose was not be misured or abused.
      They even accompanied me in some of my investigations and helped me
      to discriminate between mere mind reading, chatter of elementals from
      borderland, and messages from higher planes."

      It was at this time that she went to California, as she heard that
      the spiritual vibrations were stronger there. She went to see Max
      Heindel, still seeking help in her sorrow, still unable to understand
      why she had had no word from her Robert. This is how she tells of
      this meeting.

      "In talking with Max Heindel, the leader of the Rosicrucian
      Philosophy in California, he made very clear to me the effect of
      intense grief. Mr. Heindel assured me that I would come in touch with
      the spirit of my husband when I learned to control my sorrow. I
      replied that it seemed strange to me that an omnipotent God could not
      send a flash of his light into a suffering soul to bring its
      conviction when most needed. Did you ever stand beside a clear pool
      of water, asked Mr. Heindel, and see the trees and skies repeated
      therein? And did you ever cast a stone into that pool and see it
      clouded and turmoiled, so it gave no reflection? Yet
      the skies and trees were waiting above to be reflected when the
      waters grew calm. So God and your husband's spirit wait to show
      themselves to you when the turbulence of sorrow is quieted".

      The truth of his words was proved to her several months later.She
      returned to her home in the East, and spent hours daily in prayer and
      meditation. She composed a little mantra which she said over and
      over,

      "I am the living witness: The dead live: And they speak through
      us and to us: And I am the voice that gives this glorious truth to
      the suffering world: I am ready , God: I am ready , Christ: I am
      ready, Robert. "

      Little by little she came to understand God's purpose in allowing
      this suffering,

      "Holding in store for me the greatest gift the Lords of Karma have
      to bestow to those on earth, God wanted me to cast away, one by one,
      every prop on which I
      leaned, and to break every tie which bound me to material things, or
      held me closely to earthly affections."

      Eventually , she made unmistakable contact with her husband, and had
      soulsatisfying conversations with him.

      Afterward she made valiant efforts to give out occult truths to a
      suffering world[World War I was still in progress] , but she met for
      the most part with scorn and disbelief. People , she said, were like
      the country woman who, when she saw a giraffe for the first time,
      turned away saying , "There ain't no such animal!" Faced with
      incontroversible proofs of continuing life after death, they would
      still deny it! She wrote,

      "As we think, act, and live here today , we
      built the structures of our homes in spirit realms after we leave
      earth, and we build karma for future lives, thousands of years to
      come, on this earth or other planets.Life will assume new dignity,
      and labor new interest for us, when we come to the knowledge that
      death is but a continuation of life and labor , in higher planes".

      Now, forty years after her death (1), occult students are still
      trying to give these truths to a suffering world.Some gains have been
      made, but the progress seems so slow!

      Let us close with Ella Wheller Wilcox's closing words in her book,

      "From this mighty storehouse(of God, and the hierarchies of Spiritual
      Beings ) we may gather wisdow and knowledge, and receive light and
      power, as we pass through this preparatory room of earth, which is
      only one of the innumerable mansions in our Father's house. Think on
      these things".

      (1) Editor Note: This article was published in Rays From The Rose
      Cross, the Rosicrucian Fellowship Magazine in July, 1959.

      Visit Ella Wheeler Wilxox Web Site in

      http://ellawheelerwilcox.netfirms.com