Re: Lotion? That's it?

  • lisamouries
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2008
      Hello Elyse.
      Both your replies came through perfectly. It just usually has a time
      delay as it has to go through screening from the moderators. That
      avoids any spam and sales people getting through.

      I'm surprised you can't put any moisturising lotion before using the
      lamp. Is that true Artist? Even calendula oil or emu oil? or even Rosa
      Relief which really penetrates the skin very efficiently? I would have
      thought that as long as you leave a good half hour absorbtion time
      that would be OK. I haven't bought a lamp yet myself but am seriously
      thinking about it (as my birthday is coming up shortly) so would be
      very interested in knowing about this issue too.

      Good to hear that the creams are working.

      Kind regards.
      Lisa M.

      --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lisa,
      >
      > Unfortunately I've been pretty bad about doing the red lamp. I've
      done it very sporadically,
      > mostly because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use face lotion while
      under the lamp and my
      > skin can't bear to be without lotion after being washed. I end up
      worse after the lamp. If I
      > could use lotion I think I'd use the lamp much much more. If you
      have any info on using
      > lotion before sitting under the lamp, I'd really appreciate it!
      >
      > BTW: These creams seem to be working more and more every day. Though
      I am beginning
      > to think that stress is/was a big factor in my outbreaks....not a
      shock I guess.

      > Thanks,
      > Elyse

    • vicky
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2008
        I would think the same thing.. have you tried calling the manufacter
        to find out? sometimes the they have some type of tech to answer
        those questions. I'd be interested to know myself...

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "lisamouries"
        <lisamouries@...> wrote:

        > Hello Elyse.
        > Both your replies came through perfectly. It just usually has a time
        > delay as it has to go through screening from the moderators. That
        > avoids any spam and sales people getting through.
        >
        > I'm surprised you can't put any moisturising lotion before using the
        > lamp. Is that true Artist? Even calendula oil or emu oil? or even
        Rosa
        > Relief which really penetrates the skin very efficiently? I would
        have
        > thought that as long as you leave a good half hour absorbtion time
        > that would be OK. I haven't bought a lamp yet myself but am
        seriously
        > thinking about it (as my birthday is coming up shortly) so would be
        > very interested in knowing about this issue too.
        >
        > Good to hear that the creams are working.
        >
        > Kind regards.
        > Lisa M.
        >
        > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
        wrote:

        > > Hi Lisa,
        > >
        > > Unfortunately I've been pretty bad about doing the red lamp. I've
        > done it very sporadically,
        > > mostly because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use face lotion
        while
        > under the lamp and my
        > > skin can't bear to be without lotion after being washed. I end up
        > worse after the lamp. If I
        > > could use lotion I think I'd use the lamp much much more. If you
        > have any info on using
        > > lotion before sitting under the lamp, I'd really appreciate it!
        > >
        > > BTW: These creams seem to be working more and more every day.
        Though
        > I am beginning
        > > to think that stress is/was a big factor in my outbreaks....not a
        > shock I guess.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Elyse

      • elyse0171
        Message 3 of 22 , May 1, 2008
          I haven't yet called the manufacturer, but the directions that come with the lamp said to
          use it with a clean face, and I've read some random internet sites that say you should wash
          your face and put nothing on before sitting under the lamp. But, I think the best idea is to
          call the manufacturer. I think I'll do that later today and will let you all know what I find
          out :-)

          Elyse

          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "vicky" <vicky.nichols@...> wrote:

          > I would think the same thing.. have you tried calling the manufacter
          > to find out? sometimes the they have some type of tech to answer
          > those questions. I'd be interested to know myself...
          >

          > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "lisamouries"
          > <lisamouries@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Elyse.
          > > Both your replies came through perfectly. It just usually has a time
          > > delay as it has to go through screening from the moderators. That
          > > avoids any spam and sales people getting through.
          > >
          > > I'm surprised you can't put any moisturising lotion before using the
          > > lamp. Is that true Artist? Even calendula oil or emu oil? or even
          > Rosa
          > > Relief which really penetrates the skin very efficiently? I would
          > have
          > > thought that as long as you leave a good half hour absorbtion time
          > > that would be OK. I haven't bought a lamp yet myself but am
          > seriously
          > > thinking about it (as my birthday is coming up shortly) so would be
          > > very interested in knowing about this issue too.
          > >
          > > Good to hear that the creams are working.
          > >
          > > Kind regards.
          > > Lisa M.
          > >
          > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Lisa,
          > > >
          > > > Unfortunately I've been pretty bad about doing the red lamp. I've
          > > done it very sporadically,
          > > > mostly because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use face lotion
          > while
          > > under the lamp and my
          > > > skin can't bear to be without lotion after being washed. I end up
          > > worse after the lamp. If I
          > > > could use lotion I think I'd use the lamp much much more. If you
          > > have any info on using
          > > > lotion before sitting under the lamp, I'd really appreciate it!
          > > >
          > > > BTW: These creams seem to be working more and more every day.
          > Though
          > > I am beginning
          > > > to think that stress is/was a big factor in my outbreaks....not a
          > > shock I guess.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Elyse

        • elyse0171
          Message 4 of 22 , May 22, 2008
            Okay, so I finally tried the lamp with lotion on my face and it was totally fine. So, I'm
            finally going to start using it on a regular basis and will let you all know how it goes! On
            another note, are there antibiotics other than doxycycline that are good for rosacea? My
            body seems to hate Doxy, but I need something because, as good as all my creams have
            been, I can't seem to work out without getting a pretty bad flare :-(

            Elyse

          • Kenne Dean
            Message 5 of 22 , May 23, 2008
              Elyse,

              There is another class of antibiotics called macrolide antibiotics
              (for example, Clarithromyacin) that will also work, but they are
              very strong, and I think they are not for long-term use.
              I am having good long-term results with "periostat", which is a
              low-dose doxy that my body tolerates just fine. It's 20mg doxy
              twice a day. Enough to have the wonderful anti-inflammatory
              properties that we're looking for, but too low a dose to mess with
              the biotic properties in your stomach. I'd urge you to give it a
              try before you give up on doxy. Just remember, it takes a while for
              the benefits to kick in, and I've been taking it pretty much nonstop
              for a couple of years now, with absolutely no side effects.

              Kenne in Hawaii

              wrote:

              > Okay, so I finally tried the lamp with lotion on my face and it
              was totally fine. So, I'm
              > finally going to start using it on a regular basis and will let
              you all know how it goes! On
              > another note, are there antibiotics other than doxycycline that
              are good for rosacea? My
              > body seems to hate Doxy, but I need something because, as good as
              all my creams have
              > been, I can't seem to work out without getting a pretty bad
              flare :-(

              > Elyse
              >
              > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
              wrote:

              > > I haven't yet called the manufacturer, but the directions that
              come with the lamp said to
              > > use it with a clean face, and I've read some random internet
              sites that say you should
              > wash
              > > your face and put nothing on before sitting under the lamp. But,
              I think the best idea is
              > > call the manufacturer. I think I'll do that later today and will
              let you all know what I find
              > > out :-)
              > >
              > > Elyse
              > >

              > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "vicky" <vicky.nichols@>
              wrote:

              > > > I would think the same thing.. have you tried calling the
              manufacter
              > > > to find out? sometimes the they have some type of tech to
              answer
              > > > those questions. I'd be interested to know myself...
              > > >

              > > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "lisamouries"

              That

              > > > Rosa
              > > > have
              > > > seriously

              > > > while
              If you

              > > > Though

            • elyse0171
              Message 6 of 22 , May 24, 2008
                Hi Kenne,

                I'm actually on only 50mg doxy per day, but my problem is not with the typical side effects
                but that the doxycycline actually gave me pill-induced esophagitis (i.e., a bad burn in my
                throat) and now I can't swallow it. Instead, I'm taking a syrup form now, but it still seems
                to bother my sensitive throat (or maybe I just have a weird reaction to Doxy). Either way,
                there's no way I can take it. But if the macrolides are very strong, I worry that the side
                effects there may be even worse. Hmpf..... Heard anything about ampicillin?

                Thanks so much,
                Elyse

                --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Kenne Dean" <kennedean@...> wrote:

                > Elyse,
                >
                > There is another class of antibiotics called macrolide antibiotics
                > (for example, Clarithromyacin) that will also work, but they are
                > very strong, and I think they are not for long-term use.
                > I am having good long-term results with "periostat", which is a
                > low-dose doxy that my body tolerates just fine. It's 20mg doxy
                > twice a day. Enough to have the wonderful anti-inflammatory
                > properties that we're looking for, but too low a dose to mess with
                > the biotic properties in your stomach. I'd urge you to give it a
                > try before you give up on doxy. Just remember, it takes a while for
                > the benefits to kick in, and I've been taking it pretty much nonstop
                > for a couple of years now, with absolutely no side effects.
                >
                > Kenne in Hawaii
                >
                > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Okay, so I finally tried the lamp with lotion on my face and it
                > was totally fine. So, I'm
                > > finally going to start using it on a regular basis and will let
                > you all know how it goes! On
                > > another note, are there antibiotics other than doxycycline that
                > are good for rosacea? My
                > > body seems to hate Doxy, but I need something because, as good as
                > all my creams have
                > > been, I can't seem to work out without getting a pretty bad
                > flare :-(
                > >
                > > Elyse
                > >
                > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I haven't yet called the manufacturer, but the directions that
                > come with the lamp said to
                > > > use it with a clean face, and I've read some random internet
                > sites that say you should
                > > wash
                > > > your face and put nothing on before sitting under the lamp. But,
                > I think the best idea is
                > > > call the manufacturer. I think I'll do that later today and will
                > let you all know what I find
                > > > out :-)
                > > >
                > > > Elyse
                > > >

                > > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "vicky" <vicky.nichols@>

                > manufacter
                > answer

                > has a time
                > That

                > using the
                > even
                > would
                > absorbtion time
                > would be

                > <elyse0171@>

                > lamp. I've
                > lotion
                > end up
                > If you
                > appreciate it!

                > day.
                > outbreaks....not a

              • nurse_artist
                Message 7 of 22 , May 24, 2008
                  Tetracycline works well. Have you considered that? It works better for
                  me than doxycycline for some reason. I just started 250mg per day and
                  am backing off topicals. It will take about a month to have an effect.

                  Cheers!

                  Artist

                  --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Kenne,
                  >
                  > I'm actually on only 50mg doxy per day, but my problem is not with
                  the typical side effects
                  > but that the doxycycline actually gave me pill-induced esophagitis
                  (i.e., a bad burn in my
                  > throat) and now I can't swallow it. Instead, I'm taking a syrup form
                  now, but it still seems
                  > to bother my sensitive throat (or maybe I just have a weird reaction
                  to Doxy). Either way,
                  > there's no way I can take it. But if the macrolides are very strong,
                  I worry that the side
                  > effects there may be even worse. Hmpf..... Heard anything about
                  ampicillin?

                  > Thanks so much,
                  > Elyse

                • traceyl1019
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 24, 2008
                    Elyse - Make sure when you take it you are nat laying down for
                    atleats an hour, should help with the burning..
                    --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "nurse_artist"
                    <nurse_artist@...> wrote:

                    > Tetracycline works well. Have you considered that? It works better
                    for
                    > me than doxycycline for some reason. I just started 250mg per day
                    and
                    > am backing off topicals. It will take about a month to have an
                    effect.

                    > Cheers!
                    >
                    > Artist
                    >
                    > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
                    wrote:

                    > > Hi Kenne,
                    > >
                    > > I'm actually on only 50mg doxy per day, but my problem is not
                    with
                    > the typical side effects
                    > > but that the doxycycline actually gave me pill-induced
                    esophagitis
                    > (i.e., a bad burn in my
                    > > throat) and now I can't swallow it. Instead, I'm taking a syrup
                    form
                    > now, but it still seems
                    > > to bother my sensitive throat (or maybe I just have a weird
                    reaction
                    > to Doxy). Either way,
                    > > there's no way I can take it. But if the macrolides are very
                    strong,
                    > I worry that the side
                    > > effects there may be even worse. Hmpf..... Heard anything about
                    > ampicillin?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks so much,
                    > > Elyse

                  • elyse0171
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                      I was thinking about taking Tetracycline instead, hoping it might have a better effect (or
                      less of a bad effect). I'm taking the meds the way I was told with more than a full glass of
                      water even and not lying down after for an hour. I think the damage is done for now and
                      need to let my throat heal before I can take these meds at all. Once it is healed though I
                      think I'll try tetracycline out, they make that in a liquid form too...

                      Artist: Is 250 a "low dose"? Or, do you know if it's possible to take a low dose of
                      tetracycline and still have it work?

                      Thanks!
                      Elyse

                      --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "traceyl1019" <traceyl1019@...> wrote:

                      > Elyse - Make sure when you take it you are nat laying down for
                      > atleats an hour, should help with the burning..
                      > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "nurse_artist"
                      > <nurse_artist@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Tetracycline works well. Have you considered that? It works better
                      > for
                      > > me than doxycycline for some reason. I just started 250mg per day
                      > and
                      > > am backing off topicals. It will take about a month to have an
                      > effect.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers!
                      > >
                      > > Artist
                      > >
                      > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "elyse0171" <elyse0171@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Kenne,
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm actually on only 50mg doxy per day, but my problem is not
                      > with
                      > > the typical side effects
                      > > > but that the doxycycline actually gave me pill-induced
                      > esophagitis
                      > > (i.e., a bad burn in my
                      > > > throat) and now I can't swallow it. Instead, I'm taking a syrup
                      > form
                      > > now, but it still seems
                      > > > to bother my sensitive throat (or maybe I just have a weird
                      > reaction
                      > > to Doxy). Either way,
                      > > > there's no way I can take it. But if the macrolides are very
                      > strong,
                      > > I worry that the side
                      > > > effects there may be even worse. Hmpf..... Heard anything about
                      > > ampicillin?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks so much,
                      > > > Elyse

                    • Jonnie Herring
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                        Hi,
                        I have been reading rather than posting, but I can report that
                        doxycycline was prescribed for me one time. I immediately had a flair
                        up on one side of my face, looking like sunburn. The doctor told me I
                        was in the small percentage of people for whom doxy increases
                        photosensitivity. On the other hand, in response to a recent increase
                        in pimples, the doctor prescribed Erythroycin, which worked at once. I
                        am now dropping from twice a day to once a day, and then will stop if
                        all goes well.

                        Hope that helps,
                        Jonnie
                      • elyse0171
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                          Hmmm, maybe I am likewise having rare reactions to doxycycline, since even the liquid
                          form seems to give me esophagitis. I'll definitely ask my doc about erythromycin.

                          Thanks so much,
                          Elyse

                          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Jonnie Herring" <jherring@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I have been reading rather than posting, but I can report that
                          > doxycycline was prescribed for me one time. I immediately had a flair
                          > up on one side of my face, looking like sunburn. The doctor told me I
                          > was in the small percentage of people for whom doxy increases
                          > photosensitivity. On the other hand, in response to a recent increase
                          > in pimples, the doctor prescribed Erythroycin, which worked at once. I
                          > am now dropping from twice a day to once a day, and then will stop if
                          > all goes well.
                          >
                          > Hope that helps,
                          > Jonnie

                        • Linda Sobers
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 26, 2008
                            I took Minocycline (not sure of the spelling) for P&P for about 6 years. One night about 7 years ago, I had severe allergic reaction to minocycline and found myself in the emergency room. Since then, I have not had any cycline antibiotics. The dr. said I cannot take that chance.
                            I was desparate because my skin was getting so bad so he gave me a z-pac, the 5 day antibiotic. I take one a week and it seems to help. He also put me on a stronger dose of Metrogel. I have not used it yet because my daughter gets married in less than 2 weeks and I find metrogel makes my face worse until it makes it better. I just can't seem to find the right formula for my skin. I can live with the redness but the tons of tiny pimples and sand paper skin is hard to deal with. I can actually feel it coming on!! I hate it. Then, after a day or 2 or 3, I wake up and my skin is perfectly clear. It is so strange and so hit or miss. I think stress is my main trigger. Even a little stress seems to bring it on.
                            Thanks for listening.
                            Linda
                            Hmmm, maybe I am likewise having rare reactions to doxycycline, since even the liquid
                            form seems to give me esophagitis. I'll definitely ask my doc about erythromycin.

                            Thanks so much,
                            Elyse

                            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Jonnie Herring" <jherring@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            > I have been reading rather than posting, but I can report that
                            > doxycycline was prescribed for me one time. I immediately had a flair
                            > up on one side of my face, looking like sunburn. The doctor told me I
                            > was in the small percentage of people for whom doxy increases
                            > photosensitivity. On the other hand, in response to a recent increase
                            > in pimples, the doctor prescribed Erythroycin, which worked at once. I
                            > am now dropping from twice a day to once a day, and then will stop if
                            > all goes well.
                            >
                            > Hope that helps,
                            > Jonnie

                          • elyse0171
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 26, 2008
                              Linda,

                              Well, it sounds like "our" Rosacea is very similar. I can feel mine coming on too, so
                              strange. And anxiety-provoking too of course. I think stress is likewise my biggest trigger,
                              and forget about crying... that's a sure-fire way to get my skin all red and raw and tons of
                              bumps. I've also found doing exercise practically impossible. I'm now trying some herbal
                              supplements (Saw Palmetto in particular) and will see if they help at all, and will certainly
                              let you know. I too am having trouble finding the "right" regimen for myself. But, I think
                              this is normal, since rosacea comes and goes for most and just when we think we found
                              the right routine we have to change it :-( By the way, I've noticed that a well-moisturized
                              face is helpful. This can be problematic for acne-prone skin (like mine!) but helpful either
                              way..... I care more about the rosacea right now.

                              These cyclines are strange drugs. I've heard some weird things about Minocycline and
                              drug-induced Lupus as well, so it's probably best that you're off it either way...

                              Well, we're not alone. That's good at least! Congratulations to your daughter and I'll cross
                              my fingers for you that you should wake up that morning with a perfectly clear face!!

                              Elyse

                              --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Sobers" <lindasobers@...> wrote:

                              > I took Minocycline (not sure of the spelling) for P&P for about 6 years. One night about 7
                              years ago, I had severe allergic reaction to minocycline and found myself in the emergency
                              room. Since then, I have not had any cycline antibiotics. The dr. said I cannot take that
                              chance.
                              > I was desparate because my skin was getting so bad so he gave me a z-pac, the 5 day
                              antibiotic. I take one a week and it seems to help. He also put me on a stronger dose of
                              Metrogel. I have not used it yet because my daughter gets married in less than 2 weeks
                              and I find metrogel makes my face worse until it makes it better. I just can't seem to find
                              the right formula for my skin. I can live with the redness but the tons of tiny pimples and
                              sand paper skin is hard to deal with. I can actually feel it coming on!! I hate it. Then, after
                              a day or 2 or 3, I wake up and my skin is perfectly clear. It is so strange and so hit or
                              miss. I think stress is my main trigger. Even a little stress seems to bring it on.
                              > Thanks for listening.
                              > Linda

                            • Linda Sobers
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 27, 2008
                                Eylse,
                                Thanks so much for understanding my rosecea "problems" Everyone is so different, symtom wise.
                                Let me know about the saw palmetto. I am just praying my skin is clear for June 7th.
                                Thanks, Linda