"The vitamin D miracle: Is it for real?"

  • Aurelia.Dawn
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,

      Since not everyone in this group also reads our direct-posting Rosacea Support Forum, I wanted to draw your attention to a post I've just made regarding an insightful Canadian article on possible health benefits of vitamin D.

      http://rosacea-support.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=523

      Kind regards,

      Aurelia
    • vicky.nichols
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        WOW!!!!
        I had a very long discussion about rosacea and the sun with my
        dermatologist when I was first diagnosised... She advised me to stay
        out of the sun.. which is standard practice.. when I asked her about
        taking vitamin D to compensate for not being in the sun, she told me
        that the body wouldn't recognize vitamin D supplements. I was a bit
        confused since D is added to milk..but doc told me to stay away from
        milk... ugh.. this is so very interesting... After battling with this
        for so long and avoiding the sun for all this time.. I decided that
        there had to be a different way.... I've been sitting in the sun,
        with no suncreen for about 5 minutes a day.. longer if I think that I
        won't burn or if it's been cloudy for several days in a row... I
        thought it was the soap I was using that caused the improvement....
        now I'm thinking it was the sun...
        I'm off to buy some vitamin D to add to my arsenal...

        Thanks so much for sharing this... maybe we can beat this afterall!!!!

        Vicky

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Aurelia.Dawn"
        <aurelia.dawn@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Since not everyone in this group also reads our direct-posting
        Rosacea Support Forum, I wanted to draw your attention to a post I've
        just made regarding an insightful Canadian article on possible health
        benefits of vitamin D.

        > http://rosacea-support.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=523
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Aurelia

      • michele
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
          Dear Aurelia- This is most interesting and to the point. Thank you for posting it. I have
          been supplementing for nearly a year, but my personal low stomach acid has kept my
          body from absorbing all the needed nutrients. Happily I think I've found and answer and
          my vitamin D (as well as the rest) will slip into the arsenal. Thanks again for such an
          interesting read. Best, Michele

          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Aurelia.Dawn" <aurelia.dawn@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Since not everyone in this group also reads our direct-posting Rosacea Support Forum, I
          wanted to draw your attention to a post I've just made regarding an insightful Canadian
          article on possible health benefits of vitamin D.

          > http://rosacea-support.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=523
          >
          > Kind regards,
          >
          > Aurelia

        • Aurelia.Dawn
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            I must confess that our dear friend Dan, who created our Rosacea Support Resource Pages, drew this article to our attention. He's a lovely man, and truly missed.

            He sends his best to everyone. (Not sure if I passed that on, just before Easter. It was a hectic time.)

            Kind regards,

            Aurelia
          • Aurelia.Dawn
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
              Hi Vicky,

              > I've been sitting in the sun, with no suncreen for about 5 minutes a day.. longer if I think that I won't burn or if it's been cloudy for several days in a row... <

              That sounds perfectly safe. However, when taking a bit of sun, I mostly try to get it anywhere except the rosacea areas. For my face, I aim at filtered sun by wearing a light sunhat or by weeding mostly with my back to the sun.

              I wonder what others are doing, in terms of trying to get more vitamin D, whether naturally or otherwise?

              Kind regards,

              Aurelia
            • Elena Mutter
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                HI Aurelia,

                How have you been? How's your mom? To answer your vitamin D question, I just now started taking the D3 supplement. Confused about the dosing though because the one I have isn't in the form of I.U. it is mg. and I believe it is 400 mg. I know the dose is much higher in the form of I.U.'s. I only just started taking it when I got hit with a stomach bug on last Saturday night and here it is 5 days later and I'm just getting back on my feet. So, I really couldn't take my supplements during that time as I ate and drank nothing until today. As for the sun exposure, I do the same as you but slightly different. I had read that vitamin D gets processed or made or whatever, through our eyes, so I purposefully make sure that along with no sunscreen, I also wear no sunglasses and I go out in the sun for about 15 min. but in the very early morning when it is the least harmful. When I could walk regularly (I hate this fibromyalgia!), I would just walk at about 7 or 8
                a.m. and have no sunscreen or sunglasses on. Anyway, that's how I've tried to do it now for a few years.

                Take care,
                Elena

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2008
                  Hi Elena,

                  We're all doing well, thanks. Mum is great, except a bit too perky - was giving me cheek about my slightly excessive consumption of chocolate biscuits. Ahem. ;)

                  Sorry to hear about your tummy bug, and glad you're at last starting to feel better.

                  Very early morning walks in light sun sound utterly delightful. I would undoubtedly do the same, if I wasn't sound asleep at that time of day. :D

                  Kindest regards,

                  Aurelia
                • Elena Mutter

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
                      Hi Elena,

                      You are so right! A truly loving mother is always "on duty" for as long as she lives. Well, you already knew that, didn't you? :)

                      Kindest regards,

                      Aurelia
                    • Shuchita Kapila
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 14, 2008
                        Hello Aurelia

                        Hows your skin doing? I read all the posts on our
                        forum and I am really proud of this group. Nobody has
                        ever given me more support than members of this group.
                        I see that you are quiet regular in replying to posts
                        and always have a kind word or good advice for anyone
                        whos writes in. Hats off to you.

                        I am doing fine. No more flushing and burning, no P&Ps
                        though I still look a little red and keep wondering if
                        I should get IPL for the veins on the sides of my
                        nose.

                        Can you tell me of ways to hide the veins apart from
                        using a foundation.

                        Shuchita
                        --- "Aurelia.Dawn" <aurelia.dawn@...> wrote:

                        > I must confess that our dear friend Dan, who created
                        > our Rosacea Support Resource Pages, drew this
                        > article to our attention. He's a lovely man, and
                        > truly missed.
                        >
                        > He sends his best to everyone. (Not sure if I passed
                        > that on, just before Easter. It was a hectic time.)
                        >
                        > Kind regards,
                        >
                        > Aurelia

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                      • Aurelia.Dawn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 14, 2008
                          Hi Shuchita,

                          Welcome back! It's always good to hear from you. Many thanks for your very kind words.

                          We mods remember how grateful we were when you first came out of lurk mode to help another member by sharing invaluable local knowledge. We also remember the great kindness and sympathy you showed. Truly an excellent example of the generosity of spirit we always hope to see on the board.

                          My skin is doing reasonably well and I've no real complaints, thank goodness. Glad to hear that you can say the same, apart from a little redness and concern about the veins on the sides of your nose.

                          Sorry but I don't know of any way to hide them except with make-up. If you don't fancy foundation, the main options are probably pressed minerals (if you can find one that doesn't irritate your skin) or else a good concealer, although most do require some kind of powder or liquid cover to blend them in with the general skin tone.

                          Several of our RSG members have recently posted about concealers they consider particularly useful.

                          If you have found IPL good for those veins in the past, perhaps it might be best to go back for another treatment before they get more troublesome?

                          Kind regards, and thanks again,

                          Aurelia

                          PS Please don't be a stranger! :)