Re: [rosacea] Treating rosacea with ivermectin (U.S. Patent)

  • David Pascoe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Mark,

      I would advise caution for a couple of reasons. Firstly a patent is
      not an indication that a drug is suitable for rosacea - it just means
      someone owns the idea.

      Secondly there is little available research on the suitability of
      ivermectin to rosacea. All that I can find is just one paper with just one patient described. The one liner from a citing paper was "A
      patient with follicular, papulopustular rosacea-like eruption with a
      long history of unsuccessful treatment also responded to the
      ivermectin therapy."

      You have never mentioned having papules and pustules so I doubt there
      is much chance that you are going to see any benefit. Some members of
      rosacea-support have tried ivermectin, but, and I'm not really sure
      why - they don't keep reporting back that they continue to see good
      results and/or continue to take it.

      Note also that the sole paper also mentions using topical permethrin
      to help eradicate the demodex. I wouldn't suggest that any rosacea
      sufferer put this on their skin - and in fact those who have tried
      reported disastrous results. So this is yet another reason that I
      think you will be disappointed - you won't be using permethrin and
      ivermectin is pretty experimental.

      Despite all these warninings I wish you all the best and hope you do
      indeed get to see some benefit.

      davidp.

      http://rosacea.ii.net/hl/22828.html

      demodex mites, ivermectin (stromectol) and its use in dermatology
      http://rosacea.ii.net/news/2006/02/demodex-mites-ivermectin-stromectol.html

      --
      David Pascoe, pascoedj@...
    • khm4aim
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        Mark

        I take Ivermectin 2 X per month

        I worked out the dosage and schedule with my derm and some trial and
        error. I take 5 ea 3mg tabs about eery 15 days.

        Demodex lifecycle is 14 days.

        Once a month seems to have let them get too far ahead.

        If you want to see more posts search for khm - my posts will pop up.

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "markostapiak"