Fibrous variant of rhinophyma

  • markostapiak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      Does anyone have any good information about the progression of the
      fibrous variant of rhinophyma? I may be in the early stages of it, but
      I don't know.

      Please reply.

      Mark
    • David Pascoe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Mark,

        One possibility to explore is the use of accutane for early stage rhinophyma.

        There are some good, recently published articles that focus on rosacea
        and low-dose accutane. It is more difficult to find studies that
        specificially address treating rhinophyma with accutane.

        I have collected a few papers here ;

        http://rosacea.ii.net/news/2006/09/treating-rhinophyma-with-accutane.html

        "Phymatous subtype

        Isotretinoin monotherapy is beneficial for early to moderate phymatous rosacea."

        and

        "Isotretinoin has also been demonstrated to decrease nasal volume in
        rhinophyma. The most significant regression has been noted in younger
        patients with less advanced disease."

        are 2 quick extracts that might lead to more helpful informaiton.

        I don't have first hand experience with either this sort of symptom or
        taking accutane but hopefully these papers might give you and your
        doctor some options.

        all the best !
        davidp.

        --