Re: coconut oil

  • Matthew I
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2006
      Thanks for that additional info. It's great you have the experience to be able to verify information. I just read a little on her 'oral chelation', seems a little far-fetched huh.

      But with my crappy link (healingdaily.com) aside, and in relation to arterial congestion, do you think the studies conducted from the other previous link

      http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocgood.html#two

      are good enough to say that coconut oil would be safe to ingest?

      The references relate to
      Kaunitz H, Dayrit CS. Coconut oil consumption and coronary heart disease. Philippine Journal of Internal Medicine 1992;30:165-171. Prior IA, Davidson F, Salmond CE, Czochanska Z. Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: a natural experiment: the Pukapuka and Tokelau Island studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1981;34:1552-1561.

      Kurup PA, Rajmohan T. II. Consumption of coconut oil and coconut kernel and the incidence of atherosclerosis. Coconut and Coconut Oil in Human Nutrition, Proceedings. Symposium on Coconut and Coconut Oil in Human Nutrition. 27 March 1994. Coconut Development Board, Kochi, India, 1995, pp 35-59

      New York Times, Medical Science, Tuesday, January 29, 1991. Common virus seen as having early role in arteries' clogging (byline Sandra Blakeslee).

      I would be interested to see if Ingesting coconut oil could do anything, as its cheap and easily accessible, but dont want to develop heart problems! The links look reputable to me, thoughts?
      Hi Matt,

      Thanks for this. You've certainly gone to a lot of trouble, and it is very
      much appreciated.

      Three of the web sites you provided links for have very interesting reading,
      but the fourth ("healingdaily. com") just appalled me. Unfortunately, not all
      sites dealing with 'natural healing' are created equal. Some are based on
      reality and offer sound nutritional advice, while others are just garbage.

      Healingdaily. com is big on quoting Dr Hulda Regehr Clark, Ph.D., a fraudster
      notorious for claiming that all cancers are caused by one particular
      intestinal flatworm or fluke - never mind that it is restricted to
      South-East Asia. She says she can cure any cancer within 5 days through
      herbs and zappers. These zappers supposedly electrocute all bodily
      parasites, but don't use much power so "even small children can be zapped
      with considerable benefit".

      Poor little critters - and I'm not referring to the flatworms. :(

      Add in the pseudo-scientific nonsense about oral chelation to remove heavy
      metal toxicity and we really are being transported into fantasyland.
      According to this, the human body holds millions of tiny pieces of metal,
      just waiting to go off and give us heart disease and cancer. "When a free
      radical happens to collide with one of these tiny pieces of toxic metal ...
      there could be a chain-reaction of MILLIONS of new free radicals produced
      from this one impact. ... Many of these new free radicals will hit other
      pieces of toxic metal, causing other MILLIONS of free radicals to become
      newly created, each of them ready to damage your DNA and increase your
      chances for cancer."

      People have the right to believe whatever makes them happy - or scares them
      witless - but this is just soooo sad. :(

      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Hulda_Regehr_ Clark

      http://www.quackwat ch.org/01Quacker yRelatedTopics/ Cancer/clark. html

      http://www.quackwat ch.org/01Quacker yRelatedTopics/ chelation. html

      Kind regards,

      Aurelia

    • Lyn
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
        I use Spectrum organic refined, which has no solvents, for cooking and
        on my face (didn't irritate and no breakouts). It's just the fat, not
        the carb portion that the unrefined coconut oil has in it.

        I did buy some unrefined to see if eating it would help my thyroid
        system but off a spoon isn't cutting it -- I gagged *G*! So it's off to
        find a way to blend it into something that I'll eat daily. I wouldn't
        try this on my face as it's got the carbs and other stuff that might
        wreak havoc on skin or at least on mine.

        Lyn
      • Kemx
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2006
          lyn,
          do ref./ and unrefined coconut oil provide 2 different things for nutrition?

          why doesn't the refined help thyroid? .

          i'm very confused about the difference between the 2 coconut oils,
          thanks, emily

          --
          Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
          New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki

        • Elena Mutter

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2006
              Aurelia,

              I can�t claim this idea as my own. I merely replied to a thread Peggy started. Now hopefully we can prove it is safe and beneficial. And I hear you about the computer time. Naughty me does the majority of posts from work. I�d hate to see my boss�s face skimming over my internet usage logs. Lucky no-one expects that much from a graduate! And please excuse this long post for those that aren�t interested.

              Here are the referenced articles RE: Coconut Oil, I copied and pasted the smaller ones, But didn�t want to make it into a novel. Maybe you can quickly load up the others and then read them offline?

              Ref 1 � �Kaunitz H, Dayrit CS. Coconut oil consumption and coronary heart disease. Philippine Journal of Internal Medicine 1992;30:165-171. Prior IA, Davidson F, Salmond CE, Czochanska Z. Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: a natural experiment: the Pukapuka and Tokelau Island studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1981;34:1552-1561.�

              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9316363]

              �The role of coconut and coconut oil in coronary heart disease in Kerala, south India.

              Coronary heart disease (CHD) is common in India and, recently, an increase in the incidence of CHD was reported from the South Indian state of Kerala. The traditional Indian diet is low in fat content. The high incidence of CHD in Indians is, therefore, in contrast to western studies that have correlated high fat, saturated fat and cholesterol intake to CHD. Consumption of coconut and coconut oil that contain high amounts of saturated fat and are thought to be strongly atherogenic, are believed to be one of the main reasons for the high incidence of CHD in Kerala. To explore this presumed link, we studied 32 CHD patients and 16 age and sex matched healthy controls. Consumption of coconut and coconut oil was found to be similar in both groups. The groups did not differ in the fat, saturated fat and cholesterol consumption. The results imply no specific role for coconut or coconut oil in the causation of CHD in the present set of Indian patients from Kerala. The exact reason
              for the high and increasing incidence of CHD among Indians is still unknown.�

              Ref 2 - �Kurup PA, Rajmohan T. II. Consumption of coconut oil and coconut kernel and the incidence of atherosclerosis. Coconut and Coconut Oil in Human Nutrition, Proceedings. Symposium on Coconut and Coconut Oil in Human Nutrition. 27 March 1994. Coconut Development Board, Kochi, India, 1995, pp 35-59�

              CANT FIND THIS ONE ANYWHERE!?!?

              Ref 3 �New York Times, Medical Science, Tuesday, January 29, 1991. Common virus seen as having early role in arteries' clogging (byline Sandra Blakeslee).�

              http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D0CE6DD103AF93AA15752C0A967958260

              Ref 4 � �Coconut: In Support of Good Health in the 21st Century by Mary G. Enig, Ph.D., F.A.C.N.�

              http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/28/coconut_health.htm

              Ref 5 tp://www.lauric.org/functional.html

              I also found the following article that is pretty interesting.

              Here is the line that got my attention regarding your cholesterol levels.

              �It reduced total cholesterol, triglycerides, phospholipids, LDL, and VLDL cholesterol levels and increased HDL cholesterol in serum and tissues.�

              Where HDL is considered the �good� cholesterol (refer to http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=180 for a good explanation on good and bad cholesterol)

              From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15329324&query_hl=7&itool=pubmed_docsum

              �Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation.

              OBJECTIVES: The present study was conducted to investigate the effect of consumption of virgin coconut oil (VCO) on various lipid parameters in comparison with copra oil (CO). In addition, the preventive effect of polyphenol fraction (PF) from test oils on copper induced oxidation of LDL and carbonyl formation was also studied. DESIGN AND METHODS: After 45 days of oil feeding to Sprague-Dawley rats, several lipid parameters and lipoprotein levels were determined. PF was isolated from the oils and its effect on in vitro LDL oxidation was assessed. RESULTS: VCO obtained by wet process has a beneficial effect in lowering lipid components compared to CO. It reduced total cholesterol, triglycerides, phospholipids, LDL, and VLDL cholesterol levels and increased HDL cholesterol in serum and tissues. The PF of virgin coconut oil was also found to be capable of preventing in vitro LDL oxidation with reduced carbonyl formation. CONCLUSION: The results demonstrated the potential
              beneficiary effect of virgin coconut oil in lowering lipid levels in serum and tissues and LDL oxidation by physiological oxidants. This property of VCO may be attributed to the biologically active polyphenol components present in the oil.�

              And as for ILSI, their mission statement is �the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) is a nonprofit, worldwide foundation that seeks to improve the well-being of the general public through the advancement of science�
              The web-site for Ref 5 actually references the conference you were talking about. Saying
              �Functional Foods were defined at: An ILSI NORTH AMERICA SPECIAL CONFERENCE�.
              I couldn�t find any articles from the conference though unfortunately.

              Matt.

            • Matthew I
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 5, 2006
                Thanks for having a read of all those articles and offering your opinion. While there does seem to be a lot of information suggesting that it doesn�t contribute to heart disease, there is still a lot of information out there that is a bit �up in the air�. As you point out, although the studies seem to be �pro coconut�, they still aren�t conclusive.

                You are definitely right to be cautious. There is no point taking a risk if you have high cholesterol without more conclusive information.
                I think that another highly influential factor on the life expectancy is the availability of health care. The majority of the people on the westernised diet are wealthy enough to have frequent access, or atleast have some sort of access to health services. Simple diseases that we can be vaccinated against, or treated for may not be as easily accessible in these other poorer countries.

                I managed to find some extra virgin coconut oil on the weekend in a health food store in Sydney. It�s cold compressed, and actually solidifies at temperatures below 22 Degrees Celsius, (around 72 degrees Farenheit).

                I�m going to start a two week trial to see if there will be any benefits. I am going to apply the coconut oil topically before I go to bed, and also eat a tablespoon a day and see what happens. 250g cost about AUS$8.00.

              • dfries2003
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 5, 2006
                  Best of luck with it Matt! Keep us posted on your results...

                  --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Matthew I <mtthw_i@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for having a read of all those articles and offering your
                  opinion. While there does seem to be a lot of information suggesting
                  that it doesn¢t contribute to heart disease, there is still a lot of
                  information out there that is a bit ¡up in the air¢. As you point out,
                  although the studies seem to be ¡pro coconut¢, they still aren¢t
                  conclusive.

                  > You are definitely right to be cautious. There is no point taking a
                  risk if you have high cholesterol without more conclusive information.
                  > I think that another highly influential factor on the life
                  expectancy is the availability of health care. The majority of the
                  people on the westernised diet are wealthy enough to have frequent
                  access, or atleast have some sort of access to health services. Simple
                  diseases that we can be vaccinated against, or treated for may not be
                  as easily accessible in these other poorer countries.

                  > I managed to find some extra virgin coconut oil on the weekend in a
                  health food store in Sydney. It¢s cold compressed, and actually
                  solidifies at temperatures below 22 Degrees Celsius, (around 72
                  degrees Farenheit).

                  > I¢m going to start a two week trial to see if there will be any
                  benefits. I am going to apply the coconut oil topically before I go to
                  bed, and also eat a tablespoon a day and see what happens. 250g cost
                  about AUS$8.00.

                  http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                • rose jill
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 5, 2006
                    Hi dan,(missed ya) hope you are doing well, and matt I am sure many rosaceans are looking forward on hearing the results on this very contraversial subject. tamara

                    dfries2003 <dfries2003@...> wrote: Best of luck with it Matt! Keep us posted on your results...

                    --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Matthew I wrote:

                    > Thanks for having a read of all those articles and offering your
                    opinion. While there does seem to be a lot of information suggesting
                    that it doesn¢t contribute to heart disease, there is still a lot of
                    information out there that is a bit ¡up in the air¢. As you point out,
                    although the studies seem to be ¡pro coconut¢, they still aren¢t
                    conclusive.

                    > You are definitely right to be cautious. There is no point taking a
                    risk if you have high cholesterol without more conclusive information.
                    > I think that another highly influential factor on the life
                    expectancy is the availability of health care. The majority of the
                    people on the westernised diet are wealthy enough to have frequent
                    access, or atleast have some sort of access to health services. Simple
                    diseases that we can be vaccinated against, or treated for may not be
                    as easily accessible in these other poorer countries.

                    > I managed to find some extra virgin coconut oil on the weekend in a
                    health food store in Sydney. It¢s cold compressed, and actually
                    solidifies at temperatures below 22 Degrees Celsius, (around 72
                    degrees Farenheit).

                    > I¢m going to start a two week trial to see if there will be any
                    benefits. I am going to apply the coconut oil topically before I go to
                    bed, and also eat a tablespoon a day and see what happens. 250g cost
                    about AUS$8.00.

                    http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                    Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
                    New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki

                  • Jason
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 5, 2006
                      Hi,

                      Anyone tried Restylane Injection to help with hydration of skin since it's Hyaluronic acid?
                      I have tried almost all type of moisturizer but whenever I stayed in air-conditioned place, my faces gets scaly and flaky and red again.

                      Thanks.

                      jason

                    • Elena Mutter

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 23, 2008
                          I, put 1 tsp in my,Irish, oatmeal and it was very tasty!