Derms and their breadth of knowledge

  • Brian Shaffner
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2006
      (This post is clearly labled as my -opinion- :))

      On the subject of consulting the derm about alternative treatments. A good precaution, BUT relying on them as the final authority can be dentrimental to a rosacean. Some of them will immediately discount anything that doesn't come out of their text book. The derm I saw for rosacea was a blowhard who just wanted to prescribe antibiotics and finacea and get rid of me. He claimed IPL only temporarily bleaches the blood vessels in the face and didn't really handle anything. Pulse dye laser is still the way to go.

      Excuse me? Antibiotics? I don't have P&P's yet, and I've yet to hear of one person for whom they were effective in handling general redness.

      Finacea? If it's working for some of you, that's great, but if I had a dime for every anecdote I read where someone got worse from Finacea, I could pay for a full round of IPL.

      Pulse dye laser? Didn't alot of folk get permanent scarring from those?

      If you're lucky enough to have a really -good- derm, more power to you. But I would take some of what they say with a grain of salt. This isn't acne, or superficial skin cancer, and some derms appear to be over their knowledge with rosacea.

      Talk to the derm, sure, but also talk to other health field professionals and scour the web very thoroughly. In many cases, you can find personal accounts, good & bad, of almost any product under the sun. And those informal reports -may- be worth alot more than a conservative, biased "professional" opinon in some instances. Consulting multiple sources will give you the broadest picture, and allow you to make the most informed choice possible.

      --Brian
    • nurse_artist
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        I've gone through several derms over the years and a few of them were
        ok. I am very happy with my current derm. The difference with this
        derm was that someone recommended her based on their experience.

        Whle educating yourself, I say keep up the search for a derm you feel
        comfortable with. This way we are safer, and derms will see what new
        ingredients are working or not for us.

        I think it is very important to follow up with your derm letting them
        know what worked and what did not. If they don't hear from you, I
        think they often assume whatever they provided worked like a charm.
        HA! See how that could skew the general perception of how effective
        rosacea treatments are? It just takes one phone call.

        Artist

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Brian Shaffner
        <brianshaffner@...> wrote:

        > (This post is clearly labled as my -opinion- :))
        >
        > On the subject of consulting the derm about alternative treatments.
        A good precaution, BUT relying on them as the final authority can be
        dentrimental to a rosacean. Some of them will immediately discount
        anything that doesn't come out of their text book. The derm I saw for
        rosacea was a blowhard who just wanted to prescribe antibiotics and
        finacea and get rid of me. He claimed IPL only temporarily bleaches
        the blood vessels in the face and didn't really handle anything. Pulse
        dye laser is still the way to go.

        > Excuse me? Antibiotics? I don't have P&P's yet, and I've yet to
        hear of one person for whom they were effective in handling general
        redness.

        > Finacea? If it's working for some of you, that's great, but if I
        had a dime for every anecdote I read where someone got worse from
        Finacea, I could pay for a full round of IPL.

        > Pulse dye laser? Didn't alot of folk get permanent scarring from
        those?

        > If you're lucky enough to have a really -good- derm, more power to
        you. But I would take some of what they say with a grain of salt.
        This isn't acne, or superficial skin cancer, and some derms appear to
        be over their knowledge with rosacea.

        > Talk to the derm, sure, but also talk to other health field
        professionals and scour the web very thoroughly. In many cases, you
        can find personal accounts, good & bad, of almost any product under
        the sun. And those informal reports -may- be worth alot more than a
        conservative, biased "professional" opinon in some instances.
        Consulting multiple sources will give you the broadest picture, and
        allow you to make the most informed choice possible.

        > --Brian

      • Aimee
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          You are so right! I have started to do just that. Lst time I emailed saying that I was taking a break from IPL, I never got a return letter lol.

          It seems like they want to know, but then don't really if it isn't favorable to them. My last IPL with the Starlux left me with too many new veins and I told her so. I never blamed her at all..... just stated the way it was.

          I have had one laser treatment and I much prefer it. Helped alot.
          regards
          Aimee

          --
          Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net