Re: [rosacea] List Owner consider changing default reply address ?

  • kemx
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      i like all the email....but i know many do not. Emily
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
        If someone emails me directly i usually only answer them, unless it is info others could use also. emily

        --
        David Pascoe, pascoedj@...

        --
        Please read the list highlights and FAQ before posting to the whole group:
        http://rosacea.ii.net

      • jasper_vader
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
          Yes, although i agree that it would be convenient to have default
          reply go to list, i have realised two things
          (a)"email
          > number count would go crazy if it was changed." - david

          and

          (b) although i feel a little embarased if i accidentally post to the
          individual, i think it is kind of cool to unintentionally do so, cos
          they usually reply anyway, and then if i like i can CC my reply to
          the entire group.

          cheers
          jas

          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, David Pascoe <pascoedj@g...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Adam,
          >
          > I have resisted until now. When the group was starting it was a
          real
          > disincentive to join in when your inbox became so full. I think
          people
          > are used to more email now, but still it might well discourage
          those
          > who only check their email weekly (can you imagine !).
          >
          > I like the idea that people need to think and make one small
          > deliberate step to copy the whole group. Quality over quantity is a
          > goal as well.
          >
          > I'd say if people think that there is a even a small chance that
          the
          > group would be interested in the reply, they should copy the whole
          > group. We may well be missing some good information because of this
          > setting, and we will never know unless we try. Still I think the
          email
          > number count would go crazy if it was changed.
          >
          > davidp.
          >
          > On 12/1/05, Adam Seychell <a_seychell@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi David Pascoe,
          > > I believe you are the owner of this list and I'm just asking the
          > > question if you think there is good reason to keep the default
          reply
          > > address to the sender rather than the group. I could understand
          this
          > > would be a good choice if traffic was too high, but I suspect
          there
          > > might be too much good information missed as a result of replies
          not
          > > being sent to the group. Just my 2c worth.
          > >
          > > Only the list owner has privilege of customizing the yahoogroups
          > > settings. I'm posting this publicly in case anyone else has any
          comments
          > > to make.
          > >
          > > Adam
          >
          > --
          > David Pascoe, pascoedj@g...

        • Adam Seychell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
            A normal email client like Mozilla, Firefox, MS Outlook Express, Eudora,
            et, would reply to the optional "Reply-To" address in the header, If
            "Reply-To" doesn't exist (as generated by rosacea-support mailing list)
            then default "From" address will be used, which is the person sending
            the email.

            Any good email client, as well as Yahoo Web email have a message filter
            feature. So you can automatically have all your [rosacea] related emails
            in one folder separate from your main inbox. I think most people on
            mailing lists would take advantage of filters.

            I guess it only makes difference for people who have group messages sent
            to their email address. This was the standard way of using mailing
            lists, but I guess these days its just as common to login to
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rosacea-support/ and do it from a web
            browser. I personally like the speed and flexibility of using dedicated
            email software (email client).

            Adam.