Re: Antidepressants for Rosacea?

  • drnase2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      > do SSRI antidepressants like Paxil or Celexa help Rosacea?...I
      > remember hearing something about that.....I don't see how they
      could
      > help(seems strange an antidepressant could affect a skin
      condition)
      > but I would be willing to try if anyone has had success with them?

      Generally, they do help rosacea. Although everyone is different,
      situational depression (e.g. rosacea induced depression) over time
      will alter the level of serotonin in the brain. In several areas
      of the brain that respond to stress, heat, fatique, sleep
      deprivation,etc. a decrease in serotonin will decrease the threshold
      for flushing (e.g. increase flushing). So stabilizing serotonin
      levels with paxil or even the newer serotonin/norepiniphrine uptake
      inhibitors can be of benefit.

      Good luck. Most of us know exactly what you are going through.

      Geoffrey

      Dr. Geoffrey Nase
      Ph.D. Microvascular Physiologist
      http://www.drnase.com