[rosacea] Re: zinc oxide

  • leugene
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 1999
      Esther,

      Thank you for the information. I plan to give it a try. I have had a lot of
      problems during the Christmas season with flareups. (Stress, cookie
      baking!,cold weather, etc.) I hope it will work for me.
      (Leugene@...)

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 1999
        Hi Esther,
        Your improvement from using zinc oxide, in my opinion, has scientific basis: 1) It is a physical sunblock; hence it takes care of one rosacea trigger- the sun. The usual zinc oxide you buy, unlike the microfine ones used in sunscreens, will give only SPF of 4-6 at most. Therefore, you still have to cover up w/ a wide-brimmed hat. 2) The opacity of zinc oxide leaves a thin whitish residue on the skin which neutralizes the ruddiness you have, thus giving you some camouflage. 3) When you add vaseline (petrolatum) to the  zinc oxide, the mixture lubricates the skin which diminishes the flaking and makes your skin feel better. The downside of zinc oxide are: it is chalky if applied thickly; it is greasy and not very esthetic and kind of cumbersome especially for men who are not used to applying much on their skin. Lastly, those w/ oily-combination type skin will definitely not be crazy about it.
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 1999
          In a message dated 12/31/98 8:42:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          ruizdelvizo@... writes:

          << I will try
          to research a brand that is non-drying and non-acnegenic. I'll let
          you all know if I'm successful. >>

          Thanks Matija.
          Esther

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/rosacea-support
        • katz rule
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 5, 1999
            i'll go look for this carol...
            i appreciate your reiterating what works for you...

            nicki

            On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:22:08 -0800 (PST) Thomas Voigt
            <tfvoigt@...> writes:
            >Forgive me, group, I feel as if I might be a "broken record" but
            >perhaps
            >it bears repeating--a great zinc oxide cream to try is the "Oily
            >Skin"
            >night cream from Reviva; it does cost more than Desitin, but in zinc
            >oxide
            >circles--esp. with our type skins--it has great success in helping
            >with
            >the healing, and breakouts.
            or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/rosacea-support
          • PAUL TOWNLEY-SMITH
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 5, 1999
              Carol,
              Thanks for the tip about Reviva-I'm one who's been harping about desitin
              because it helps me so much, but I'd be happy to find something that is
              meant for the face and gives the same or better results!
              Kerry

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/rosacea-support
            • Gretchen12@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 12, 1999
                Carol,
                Could you post the ingredients of that Oily skin Cream???? Sounds
                good.......how about a phone number......haven't seen it in the health stores
                here????
                Gretch

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/rosacea-support
              • Esther231@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 7, 1999
                  In a message dated 3/6/99 9:04:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, mbromage@...
                  writes:

                  << Does anyone know where you can get the zinc oxide mixed with dimethicone
                  that
                  Dr. Nase suggested? >>

                  Mary,
                  I don't think this is on the market yet. Often, a pharmacy will be willing to
                  make up something if you know what you want in a product. Since all of this
                  is available over the counter, bet you could get it made up without too much
                  trouble. (Not that I've done this, I haven't. But I do know people who have
                  stuff made up for them.)
                  HTH
                  Esther

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/rosacea-support
                • Erin Loomis
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 23, 2000
                    Hi Dale--

                    I just started using zinc oxide ointment at the
                    suggestion of one of our other group members. I've
                    been using it once a night for almost a week now and
                    it has worked very well in reducing the inflammatory
                    papules (which have been the bain of my existence the
                    last few months). Many people say it helps reduce both
                    the papules (those little bumps) and the redness as
                    well as the irritation and burning many of us
                    experience. I'm not exactly sure how it works. I
                    assume it must have anti-inflammatory properties. I do
                    know that zinc is a proven skin protectant and can act
                    as a barrier b/n your skin and the environment (sun,
                    wind, pollutants, etc). I just use a generic store
                    brand of zinc oxide cream that I purchased in the baby
                    products section of my local grocery story. This
                    no-name has about 20% zinc oxide in a base of mineral
                    oil, white wax, and petrolatum. I thought I might
                    react to the mineral oil and petrol. (since I have
                    been warned against using them in the past) but I've
                    had zero problems thus far. Many people in this group
                    have used products like Desitin (the diaper rash
                    cream) with much success. The product you described is
                    probably worth a shot, unless it's very expensive--the
                    tube I bought cost me about 2-3 dollars. Also, be
                    careful with lanolin--it's a common skin irritant
                    derived from wool. However, some people have no
                    problems with it in small quantities. In fact, it's
                    the last ingredient in the soap I use, and I don't
                    seem to react to it (and I have one of the most
                    tempermental faces in the universe).

                    Other people in the group are having luck with
                    sulfur-based products. There are prescription topicals
                    like Klaron and Sulfacet, and then there are cosmetics
                    like the Margarite line. There's also the Purple Emu
                    A/R Cream, which has been a face-saver for quite a few
                    people over the last month. I can't remember what's in
                    it aside from emu oil, but those more knowledgable
                    about it can tell you.

                    Lots to scope out--hope this gives you some starting
                    points...

                    Erin

                    --- Don McCririck <dmccriri@...>

                    http://im.yahoo.com