Re: [rosacea] acne lamp

  • banshee06@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hi Erika-

      Eeek- I'll try to answer your q's best I can, but I say eek because I
      don't know if they're really answers or raise more questions ;o

      <1.) If one can only get a blue/red HS lamp, would it make sense to
      operate it without the blue bulbs? Will it work with 2 bulbs missing? I
      only mention this for those that may be irritated by the blue light. >

      Okee, I know with the British version, at least I'm pretty sure, when 2
      bulbs are gone, the rest won't light up. It's on one circuit.....I have
      no idea if this is the case with the HappyLight.

      As far as doing it with just 2 red bulbs- I'm not sure if I said it or
      not in my other thingie,
      but blue light/N-lite work off the same wavelength, so for safety and
      efficacy for rosacea, I'd recommend all red.......

      Having just 2 red bulbs though....I think is the same as if you had a
      1/2 red 1/2 blue unit because the light output will be diluted, and you
      probably won't have an even light field. If you have the 2 bulbs on the
      left-the right won't be hit with full strength. And if you space them
      every other slot, the middle might not get full strength. What I mean by
      full strength is not only is the wavelength important, but the joules.
      With only 2 bulbs, some areas will not receive 4 joules- but less,
      weaker.

      <2.) I found a website that deals with every kind of weird bulb, & have
      emailed them about the bulbs in these devices. There are all sorts of
      small 15-20 watt fluorescent fixtures out there, and I cannot believe
      that these bulbs aren't commercially available. So, I asked this company
      about getting the red ones (yup, I'm thinking about building one in my
      basement! lol!) Anyway - do these lamps appear to have somewhat standard
      sockets, & are the bulbs a standard length (ie, have you seen a white
      version of the bulb in the lighting department at a store?) >

      With this one- I'm with ya Erika. I checked into building my own, or
      even using LED flashlights, but you run into a couple of things:

      Again you have a power issue....Not all LED's are created equal. Just
      because an LED says it gets a certain wavelength, or operates off a
      certain amount of power doesn't mean it delivers energy well. High
      quality LED's have what's called a peak power. They stay close to the
      energy and wavelength they're supposed to without fluctuating too much.
      And photons travel in a uniform fashion.....Think of a good
      universal remote that can turn on your tv and VCR from 25 feet as
      opposed to a cheap one you have to stand really close to get to work or
      press the button a billion times.

      It's really tough when you're buying commercial LED's to seperate the
      good from the bad because you don't have a means to test their peak.

      Another thing is 15-20 watts isn't a lot of juice. My acne lamp operates
      off of 75 watts, as I assume the other one would. Let me see if I can
      expain why wattage is important........

      First you have the wavelength-how far the energy should travel....Then
      you have the joules, how much energy the source is outputting, but then
      you have the power......Take the Yag laser for example. You have a
      1064nm wavelength, could set it for 30 joules, but if it's got a faded
      beam, like if the power was operating on 1/2 full-it's not going to pack
      enough punch to get enough photons to the target.

      The only efficacy studies I know of have been done with the British lamp
      @ 75 watts, so I wish I could help out with buiding your own, but I
      truthfully don't know how it would effect tx, or what adjustments you'd
      need to make in terms of tx length or frequency at a lesser wattage.

      Overall if it's going to cost you close to $200 to make you own I'd just
      buy a premade.

      Lastly you have spot piece size. 50 LED's is a good #, but how big is
      the cluster- If it's even 3 inches across in a circle, you run into the
      issue of it not covering your whole tx area.....Digressing to my other
      post, one area needs at least 10 min. of exposure a day to absorb a good
      amount of energy to create a potentially helpful biologcal
      response.......If you have to hold it in 5 seperate areas or more,
      you're already running into a 50 min tx time. Not accounting for the
      lesser wattage. So, I'd think it might be a hassle. Not necessarily
      useless, but again I couldn't say how it would effect overall tx.

      I'm sorry I couldn't help out more, it's probably not what you wanted
      to hear :( But I'd hate to see you spend all that time or $ w/o telling
      what the potential pitfalls may be.

      Hey if you figure it out- I'll hire you to head up my product
      development! ;) I knew I should have paid better attention in quantum
      physics class! LOL.

      HTH-
      Kristen

      http://community.webtv.net/banshee06/ParadigmROSE
    • Peter Waters
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hello Erika

        Can't see any reason why the Happyskin lamp will not work on only the 2 red
        tubes but you will need to talk to the manufacturers first to find out for
        sure. If you tamper with the lamp yourself it may invalidate any warrantee
        you have etc. but I would have thought it must be fairly straight forward to
        change the tubes as over time they can wear out or even blow. With the
        Dermalux unit the tubes have a bayonet type fitting and no cover so it is
        easy to change the tubes. If it was me I would try the Happyskin lamp first
        to see if the blue gave me a problem and if it appeared they did I would
        remove them and try red to see if this improved things. If it did I would
        then try and get another 2 red tubes.

        The tubes in the Dermalux unit are made by Sylvania but I am not sure of the
        manufacturer of the tubes for the US version. The tubes are fairly special
        and again I am not sure how easy it is to get them from another source with
        the same results. The last time I renewed my red tubes it cost me £110
        which is over 50% of the total cost of the lamp. The rest of the lamp is
        just the same as a standard self tanning unit and should be readily
        available from numerous places.

        Don't spend $285 on goggles as I have a spare pair I can sell you for $200
        :)

        Seriously hope this helps and good luck.

        Peter

        > I've been looking at the Happyskin lamp & comparing it to the Dermalux. I
        > have a couple of questions for either of you (or anyone else here that may
        > know):
        >
        > 1.) If one can only get a blue/red HS lamp, would it make sense to operate
        > it without the blue bulbs? Will it work with 2 bulbs missing? I only
        > mention this for those that may be irritated by the blue light.
        >
        > 2.) I found a website that deals with every kind of weird bulb, & have
        > emailed them about the bulbs in these devices. There are all sorts of
        small
        > 15-20 watt fluorescent fixtures out there, and I cannot believe that these
        > bulbs aren't commercially available. So, I asked this company about
        getting
        > the red ones (yup, I'm thinking about building one in my basement! lol!)
        > Anyway - do these lamps appear to have somewhat standard sockets, & are
        the
        > bulbs a standard length (ie, have you seen a white version of the bulb in
        > the lighting department at a store?)
        >
        > Just so you know - w/ the aforementioned company, I gave them the links to
        > both sites, & the info as I knew it from Kristens posts about the energy
        (4
        > joules per minute, 600-700nm wavelength, red bulbs). I hope that since
        they
        > deal w/ medical devices also, that they can tease out what I'm looking
        for.
        > The company is called The Specialty Bulb Company
        > (http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/60677432/home.htm )
        >
        > Now watch - I'll be able to build my own for $19.95 & some duct tape, but
        > getting the goggles will run me $285!
        >
        > TIA!
        > - Erika in Michigan

      • Peter Waters
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2004
          Hello

          This isn't the same lamp that I first used 5 years ago and converted to all
          red light for treating rosacea. Having said this and looked at the website
          I can't see why in principle the result should be any different. Difficult
          to comment on why it made your hives worse unless you were too close to the
          tubes or you have a sensitivity to fluorescent light / tubes.

          If you are not satisfied and they offer a guarantee then ask for your money
          back. As them if anybody else has reported back a sensitivity to the device
          but make sure you tell them you were using it for acne not rosacea,
          otherwise it might invalidate the guarantee.

          Regards

          Peter

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2004
            The exact same thing happened to me. I am extremely sensitive to heat and
            light so I was never able to use the lamp long enough to see any positive
            results.

          • theresaweir2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2004
              --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, SunBad2000@c... wrote:
              > The exact same thing happened to me. I am extremely sensitive to heat and
              > light so I was never able to use the lamp long enough to see any positive
              > results.

              I'm kind of glad to hear it's not just me!

              The great news is that it looks as if they will let me return it for a full refund.
            • SunBad2000@cs.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 11, 2004
                Did you have your lamp for longer than the three month trial period offered
                by most suppliers? That's the case with me, so I'm not sure if they would let
                me return mine.