oily skin

  • bass.and.boney.inc@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
      8/31/00 9:37:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time From:TARAMYBELL@...

      Hello, everyone!
      I am a long time member of the group, long time sufferer of rosacea.
      This is the first time i am writing because i never see anyone writing about
      this.I have VERY oily skin. Soon after i wash my face (within 20 minutes), it
      becomes very oily. The oil is not just over my nose and cheeks but all over.
      Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do about it?
      Thanks for any help.
      Tara =)

      *****

      There are many causes of oily skin. The primary ones are below that can be
      altered by the individual to decrease the oilyness:

      When the body becomes stressed from many causes, even dehydration, the
      adrenal cortex converts adrenal androgens to testosterone in BOTH men and
      women, resulting in overactive sebaceous glands. In the normal female, the
      ovaries produce 25% of the testosterone, and 75% is converted from adrenal
      androgens. Women only have 10% of the testosterone that men have. Men have
      thicker skin and muscles than women and can handle much more testosterone.
      Under stress, however, the adrenal androgen conversion can almost double
      the testosterone in both men and women. This causes the T zone of the face
      to become oily, while other areas are still dry from dehydration. Adult
      acne and rosacea are sometimes a by-product of stress and/or dehydration.
      Water and estrogen calm the "body's stress alarm system".

      Both facial redness and acne are caused in part by high calorie
      carbohydrates (pastas, breads) and sugar spiking from all sweet foods.
      Most of us have heard of kids bouncing off the walls with hyperactivity
      after eating high sugar foods. So, if you think of things that give you a
      high burn rate, high energy, or foods that would most likely add fat to
      your body, and you will be able to identify the worst culprits: foods and
      beverages that stimulate the sebaceous gland system and thus cause more oil
      and redness. Stimulants such as coffees, teas, soft drinks with caffeine,
      alcohol beverages and chocolates also stimulate this system, causing
      further facial redness, oily skin and acne. Consuming more water helps us
      to reduce reddening and sebaceous gland oils.

      Ralph Bass
    • Martin Freestone
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2000
        Hi Tara,

        It's been a long time since I logged on to this site and so I only
        just saw your message.

        I too have very oily skin and have tried to do something about it
        instead of just washing with a cleanser designed for oily skin.
        Doctors have been very reluctant to prescribe anything for it because
        they have told me that it is in fact good to have oily skin, i.e.
        it's
        preferable to dry skin! In the case of women I have heard that
        sometimes hormones (or is it something to control hormones?) are
        given. One drug that may help is Roaccutane but I don't know any
        doctor who would prescribe it just for that. An alternative might be
        Retin-A or Retinova/Renova, as they are topical alternatives to
        Roaccutane. I've also heard that acupuncture could be the best
        treatment, but have yet to try it myself.

        Martin

      • rred_rrobin99
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
          Hi all:

          My skin has become so oily of late even in the mornings I wake up
          with a shine on my face.
          My forehead feels like sandpaper with all the tiny bumps and so oily.
          Does the Flax seed or other oils promote oily skin?
          What type of cleanser would be best suited to a oily rosacea skin.
          I also started to flush again after my shower......for about 4 moths
          I didn'd have any problems with this.

          Any comments or advise would be welcome.

          Regards:
          Red-Robin
        • pinkbuda
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2004
            Was wondering if anyone noticed an increase in oily ski( if you have
            that problem) with tking more supplements like the fish oil or
            flaxseed oil.
            Also on the rosacea diet with the increase in protein? Have any of
            those things affected anyones skin as in making it more oily and
            more break outs?
          • Lonne
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2004
              My skin is oily; I take fish oil and haven't noticed a difference in
              oiliness.

              Lonne

              --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "pinkbuda" <amonamon@b...>
              wrote:
              > Was wondering if anyone noticed an increase in oily ski( if you
              have
              > that problem) with tking more supplements like the fish oil or
              > flaxseed oil.
            • theresaweir2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 12, 2004
                I started eating an extremely lowfat diet several years ago. Now, whenever I eat
                anything with much fat or oil, my face goes crazy. Within 12 hours I'm practically
                dripping. It takes it a couple of days to get back to normal, but with acne left behind.
                I wonder if it's because my body isn't used to processing fat and oil. Or maybe it's
                hormonal.
              • william_dominic
                Message 7 of 8 , May 14, 2005
                  On the areas of my face where I have rosacea my skin is oily I can
                  wash my face and in 1 hour its oily again my doc said it is not from
                  rosacea but I never had oily skin until now. Does anyone else have
                  the same problem.
                  thanks, william
                • sarahjayneskeet
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2006
                    Hi as the weather has started warming up i have noticed my face is
                    becoming very oily causing more breakouts and flareups does anyone
                    have a remedy for this or know of a product in the uk that would be a
                    good help?