Re: time between eating and reaction and Peri-menopause

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 23, 2013
      I think you're right that it may be partly hormonal. Older women often have low progesterone levels, both peri- and post-menopausal. Estrogen dominance can cause problems.

      Now that I'm using progesterone cream for other reasons, my face has calmed down too. (except that I still have to avoid spicy hot foods.) Also, if you have sleep problems -- going to sleep or staying asleep -- it may be low progesterone. The cream seems to help with that too.

      You might consult a gynecologist about hormone levels.

      Sharon

      --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, LM B <lmb_14850@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have been struggling with rosacea - eyes, redness, swelling, acne - for about 6 months. I feel - like most of you helpless. I have been keeping a daily food diary and have tried a lot of medications. At this stage, I am trying to address it through diet and other natural means. I also think it is hormonally related because I am Peri-menopausal and the worst time is a week before my period.
      >
      > Two questions:
      > 1. What is the time lag between when you eat something and when you have a reaction? I notice that sometimes I have something - like a glass of wine and I can feel my face heat up but other times, it seems to come the next morning. It makes it difficult to know what is causing the reaction.
      > 2. Has anyone else noticed a correlation between a flare up and hormonal changes? Has anyone tried to address the hormonal imbalances?
      >
      > thanks so much!!! Lehn

    • Janet Livingston
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 24, 2013
        Hi, Lehn,  I had mild rosacea for years, just light flushing.  The last couple of years, since I went through menopause (in 2011), I've noticed it's been much blotchier.  I'm a little uncertain about hormone therapy, (although if the hot flashes don't go away soon I may give in) so I've had some IPL treatments and attempting to control the rosacea with over the counter topical treatments and diet.
        All the best,
        Janet

          Has anyone else noticed a correlation between a flare up and hormonal changes? Has anyone tried to address the hormonal imbalances?

        thanks so much!!! Lehn

      • Aimee
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 24, 2013
          Hi Janet
          I did try that a couple of years ago and was very disappointed that it didnt help me at all.

          Spent alot of money for all the testing and then the compounding creams, and it didn't make any difference at all.  Not even in the way I felt, much less improve the flaring.

          Would be nice to hear from someone that tried it that found it helpful :)

          Aimee

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 25, 2013
            Hi all,

            I'm fairly new here, this is my first post.

            I do think that there is a hormonal link, at least for some.

            I've always had red flushing, but that's all. I've been on hormone replacement therapy for a couple of years now after being diagnosed with early menopause in my mid 30s (thank goodness - I was having SUCH a hard time). The rosacea has been status quo through it all, but 2 months ago my pharmacy ordered the wrong strength of progesterone and my rosacea immediately flared up. My face was covered in red itchy bumps, which I'd never had before, so I attribute that to the increased progesterone strength. The next month I went back to my usual strength, but it's taken about 2 months to get back to my usual uneven tone/ flushing.

            So that's my experience with hormones and rosacea, for what it's worth.
            This heat wave is not helping, either!
            Best,
            Jen
          • Janet Livingston

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 26, 2013
                OH most definitely..hormonal imbalances account for much of my rosacea. It all has to do with getting proper sleep, exercise, food, etc. Not getting sleep drives the imbalance in hormones. If you don't exercise, there's an imbalance in the insulin (which again is affected by hormone balance). Also STRESS plays a major role on the hormones. It's all intertwined together. I get one factor out of whack and the rosacea flares big time. It's really a big balancing act. Plus I don't use chemical or drug treatments any more so I have to really have my life balance in all areas. It's working so far. The flareups are rare and the postules are tiny and heal quick when I get them.
                --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, LM B <lmb_14850@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I have been struggling with rosacea - eyes, redness, swelling, acne - for about 6 months. I feel - like most of you helpless. I have been keeping a daily food diary and have tried a lot of medications. At this stage, I am trying to address it through diet and other natural means. I also think it is hormonally related because I am Peri-menopausal and the worst time is a week before my period.
                >
                > Two questions:
                > 1. What is the time lag between when you eat something and when you have a reaction? I notice that sometimes I have something - like a glass of wine and I can feel my face heat up but other times, it seems to come the next morning. It makes it difficult to know what is causing the reaction.
                > 2. Has anyone else noticed a correlation between a flare up and hormonal changes? Has anyone tried to address the hormonal imbalances?
                >
                > thanks so much!!! Lehn

              • diane Wickersheim
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Aimee
                  I know this is several weeks old but I wanted to say I too am on the compounding cream for menopausal symptoms now for 2 yrs and they have not helped in the least.  Im on a daily dose of estrogen (3mg) and progesterone (200mg) and I swear my levels are at their lowest now.  Its like my body is not absorbing the cream or something.  I also had no DHEA so Im supplementing with that as well.  No change in rosacea (better or worse) but my hot flashes at night seemed to get slightly better.   I have to have my hormones checked again next week after a month of increased dosages so we will see.  My estrogen levels were ok but I had only .01 of progesterone..Doesnt make sense when Im applying the cream every day.  I guess I  need to look into  somethinig else..

                  dee

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 10, 2013
                    Makes me wonder what all the hype is about with these natural hormones. I stopped throwing my money away and went back to the estrogen patch.
                    Are you still going to continue with the creams?

                    good luck
                    Aimee

                    --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, diane Wickersheim <dianewickersheim@...> wrote:

                    > Aimee
                    > I know this is several weeks old but I wanted to say I too am on the compounding cream for menopausal symptoms now for 2 yrs and they have not helped in the least.  Im on a daily dose of estrogen (3mg) and progesterone (200mg) and I swear my levels are at their lowest now.  Its like my body is not absorbing the cream or something.  I also had no DHEA so Im supplementing with that as well.  No change in rosacea (better or worse) but my hot flashes at night seemed to get slightly better.   I have to have my hormones checked again next week after a month of increased dosages so we will see.  My estrogen levels were ok but I had only .01 of progesterone..Doesnt make sense when Im applying the cream every day.  I guess I  need to look into  somethinig else..
                    >
                    > dee
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • arthur coppola
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 11, 2013
                      this has nothing to do wwith hormonal creams, would just like to mention I've had success in inhibiting rosacea for 40 years + by just putting on a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar. This mixture is ususally prescribed for eliminating ear infections (swimmer's ear)

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 11, 2013
                        Well to be fair, we are female and it doesn't appear that you are.

                        Females have alot of conditions that are attributed to hormone imbalance. Saying it has nothing to do with it is incorrect, as for some , it might.

                        Someone here said the fumes stung the eyes. Did you answer that? as it's likely I missed it altho I was looking for your answer and didnt see it. If you did answer, would you say it again?

                        thanks
                        Aimee

                        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, arthur coppola <coppaa2002@...> wrote:

                        > this has nothing to do wwith hormonal creams, would just like to mention I've had success in inhibiting rosacea for 40 years + by just putting on a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar. This mixture is ususally prescribed for eliminating ear infections (swimmer's ear)
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Fern Roy
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 11, 2013
                          Hi Aimee:

                          I have started using it for Keratosis Pilaris and if I put in any where near my face when it is on my hands it  burns my eyes.  I would be very careful using it on my face to close to the eyes and especially the eye lids.  My hands are nice and smooth from using it.  Sometimes I think it might be helping the KP will see what it is doing in a few weeks or month,.  Fern

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 11, 2013
                            Hi arthur;

                            Do you make a bottle up to use or should it be made fresh each day?  If you make a bottle up to use is there a time limit you can keep it?  Thanks  My hands are nice and soft from putting it on my thighs and back of arms for Keratosis Pelaris which it might be helping to soon to be real sure.  I put it on 3-4 X a day do you think I might be over dueing it?  Thanks, Fern
                          • Aimee
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 11, 2013
                              Hi Fern,
                              thanks for posting but to be clear, I am not using it. I know someone had posted here and said they tried it but it stung the eyes.
                              Hope it works :)

                              Aimee

                              --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Fern Roy <fernroy37@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Aimee:
                              >
                              > I have started using it for Keratosis Pilaris and if I put in any where near my face when it is on my hands it  burns my eyes.  I would be very careful using it on my face to close to the eyes and especially the eye lids.  My hands are nice and smooth from using it.  Sometimes I think it might be helping the KP will see what it is doing in a few weeks or month,.  Fern
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Richard Shaw
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 12, 2013
                                I am careful not to get the solution too near the eyes now as the fumes cause irritation.
                                I have been using it morning and night from a bottle with 2 teaspoons of alcohol and 2 of
                                vinegar. I use a small piece of cotton wool to apply it. The results are very good so far. Time
                                will tell if I am still affected by flare ups.
                                I will be telling my son about this as he also suffers from Rosasea. I will report back with
                                his progress if he uses it.

                                Richard.
                              • arthur coppola
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 12, 2013
                                  I make it up once and use it till its finished, then make up a new batch. I use it once a day after washing my face. I found it works on many skin ailments, rash, itch, rough spots. I apply it with my fingers but I suppose you can cut up a sponge, but apply to eyelids with a finger and have wet wash rag handy if it gets into eye although I had no trouble. I am now testing it on part of my scalp for dandruff.

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 12, 2013
                                    Would be interested in how its working

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 12, 2013
                                      never had trouble with fumes stinging eyes, but then everyone is different (talking about vinegar/alcohol mix).

                                      ________________________________
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 12, 2013
                                        Dear Rosacea Group:

                                        I would advise completely against getting rubbing alcohol anywhere near your
                                        eyes. It can cause blindness. And your eyesight cannot be restored.

                                        While we often want cheap and quick fixes for this condition ‹ please ask
                                        yourself if it is worth losing your eyesight over because it could happen.

                                        I know we are all grown-ups and must each make our own health decisions and
                                        as co-moderator, I must advise that rubbing alcohol is an irritant to mucus
                                        membranes, the skin and respiratory tract. Is it worth using to damage your
                                        lungs and go blind? Just askin.

                                        Beth PB

                                        On 7/12/13 9:11 AM, "arthur coppola" <coppaa2002@...> wrote:

                                        > I make it up once and use it till its finished, then make up a new batch. I
                                        > use it once a day after washing my face. I found it works on many skin
                                        > ailments, rash, itch, rough spots. I apply it with my fingers but I suppose
                                        > you can cut up a sponge, but apply to eyelids with a finger and have wet wash
                                        > rag handy if it gets into eye although I had no trouble. I am now testing it
                                        > on part of my scalp for dandruff.
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________
                                        > From: Fern Roy <fernroy37@... <mailto:fernroy37%40yahoo.com> >

                                      • jalcordo44
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 13, 2013
                                          Hi. I notice a correlation between hormones and rosacea flare ups every month when I get my period. usually a few days before I start I flare up then it clears up for about 2 days. and then when my period is over i always get a flare up again. I notice this pattern every month so I know it is related to hormones.
                                          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, LM B <lmb_14850@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi all,
                                          > I have been struggling with rosacea - eyes, redness, swelling, acne - for about 6 months. I feel - like most of you helpless. I have been keeping a daily food diary and have tried a lot of medications. At this stage, I am trying to address it through diet and other natural means. I also think it is hormonally related because I am Peri-menopausal and the worst time is a week before my period.
                                          >
                                          > Two questions:
                                          > 1. What is the time lag between when you eat something and when you have a reaction? I notice that sometimes I have something - like a glass of wine and I can feel my face heat up but other times, it seems to come the next morning. It makes it difficult to know what is causing the reaction.
                                          > 2. Has anyone else noticed a correlation between a flare up and hormonal changes? Has anyone tried to address the hormonal imbalances?
                                          >
                                          > thanks so much!!! Lehn

                                        • arthur coppola
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 13, 2013
                                            have done it for years, if you keep eyes closed then after treatment rinse then open your eyes, don't see a problem. Not using just alcohol, but mixed with vinegar.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 13, 2013
                                              Hi;

                                              You did not answer my questions.

                                              When I first put it on my thighs it looks better but have not put it on yet today and it is 1 PM and they red spots are really showing up.  The back of the upper arms may be a little less bumpy it is kind of hard to tell.  It has been around 5 days or so since I started it, I should of marked it down.  Will see what it looks like in a month.  I have been using Brigg ACV for SIBO and it has been helping that problem, helps me to digest the food and eliminate the gas problem. I also use vinegar a lot for cleaning.  Fern

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 13, 2013
                                                Hi;

                                                Sorry I did not see you had answered my questions.  What is good for dandruff is to rinse you hair with diluted vinegar.  When I visited my mother and they had hard water it stopped me from getting dandruff.  It will make your hair nice and soft you can leave it in or rinse it out, I always leave it in.  Vinegar is good for so many things. Thanks, Fern