Re: [rosacea] tretinoin a.k.a. retin-a

  • K Cumming
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
      I would seek a second opinion!!

      -Kathy

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: aurban90
      To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 2:07 AM
      Subject: [rosacea] tretinoin a.k.a. retin-a

      I saw a new dermatologist the other day. I think he scared me. He kept referring to my rosacea as "acne" rather than "rosacea," and when I asked him about it, he said they were the same. He gave me a prescription for tretinoin (Retin-a/retinoic acid). I called the pharmacist to ask how much the prescription would cost (my insurance doesn't cover tretinoin) and it is $100. The doc said it should only cost me about $40. The worst part is I just found a NY Times article talking about Retin-A, and while it does seem to work for acne, it is not recommended for people with rosacea.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

      What should I do? Should I go forward with it, or try to get another appointment with the other dermatologist I was seeing. I'm finished with initial three months of doxy/metrogel. I haven't tried Finacea yet, but with all of the good reviews on here, I'm thinking of asking about that one. I hate having this problem though. I wish it would just go away so I can not have to worry about my red face.

    • JackJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
        I've been using 40g Accutane since Feb 5 - approx 7 weeks now
        and results have been very positive thankfully.

        In late winter 2011, an approx. 4" redness/rash diagonal strip from above my left eye down & across my nose and onto my right mid-cheek developed.

        My derm diagnosed it as Rosacea and rxed topicals that worked
        well but reactively as opposed to proactively.

        I decided to get a 2nd opinion (from a previous derm I had to stop going to b/c of insurance coverage) and she rxed the current Accutane.

        I realize my result is anecdotal but the Accutane has been effective
        with no side effects other than dry skin treatable w/ moisterizers.

        I am currently not using any Rosacea medicine, but over the past month and a half Accutane has worked better than the Rosacea topicals were.

        I no longer know if the rash was Rosacea I just assumed the derm's
        diagnosis was accurate. I still have high regard for her but I am
        thankful I got a 2nd opinion.

        Problem skin - Acne, Rosacea, ... it just is a struggle.
        If my example can be of help to anyone here ...

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "aurban90" <angela.b.urban@...> wrote:

        > I saw a new dermatologist the other day. I think he scared me. He kept referring to my rosacea as "acne" rather than "rosacea," and when I asked him about it, he said they were the same. He gave me a prescription for tretinoin (Retin-a/retinoic acid). I called the pharmacist to ask how much the prescription would cost (my insurance doesn't cover tretinoin) and it is $100. The doc said it should only cost me about $40. The worst part is I just found a NY Times article talking about Retin-A, and while it does seem to work for acne, it is not recommended for people with rosacea.
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
        >
        > What should I do? Should I go forward with it, or try to get another appointment with the other dermatologist I was seeing. I'm finished with initial three months of doxy/metrogel. I haven't tried Finacea yet, but with all of the good reviews on here, I'm thinking of asking about that one. I hate having this problem though. I wish it would just go away so I can not have to worry about my red face.

      • diane Wickersheim
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
          my derm would like to try the same approach.  Short term of 40mg a day because everything else I have tried has failed.  I have seborrheic dermatitis as well and what will treat the rosacea aggrevates the SD so I'm constantly chasing my tail and the red lesions
          that plague my face daily.  There is constant inflammation that is never relieved.  How quick did you see results and is it 40mg a day?
          I did a course of 20mg once a week for 13 weeks and it had no effect good or bad on my skin.  I stopped as that derm was only going on my approach and never offered any quality information so i have since switched to one of the most foremost derms in NYC.

          thanks for the info
          dee

          ________________________________
          I've been using 40g Accutane since Feb 5 - approx 7 weeks now
          and results have been very positive thankfully.

          In late winter 2011, an approx. 4" redness/rash diagonal strip from above my left eye down & across my nose and onto my right mid-cheek developed.

          My derm diagnosed it as Rosacea and rxed topicals that worked
          well but reactively as opposed to proactively.

          I decided to get a 2nd opinion (from a previous derm I had to stop going to b/c of insurance coverage) and she rxed the current Accutane.

          I realize my result is anecdotal but the Accutane has been effective
          with no side effects other than dry skin treatable w/ moisterizers.

          I am currently not using any Rosacea medicine, but over the past month and a half Accutane has worked better than the Rosacea topicals were.

          I no longer know if the rash was Rosacea I just assumed the derm's
          diagnosis was accurate. I still have high regard for her but I am
          thankful I got a 2nd opinion.

          Problem skin - Acne, Rosacea, ... it just is a struggle.
          If my example can be of help to anyone here ...

          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "aurban90" <angela.b.urban@...> wrote:

          > I saw a new dermatologist the other day. I think he scared me. He kept referring to my rosacea as "acne" rather than "rosacea," and when I asked him about it, he said they were the same. He gave me a prescription for tretinoin (Retin-a/retinoic acid). I called the pharmacist to ask how much the prescription would cost (my insurance doesn't cover tretinoin) and it is $100. The doc said it should only cost me about $40. The worst part is I just found a NY Times article talking about Retin-A, and while it does seem to work for acne, it is not recommended for people with rosacea.
          >
          > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
          >
          > What should I do? Should I go forward with it, or try to get another appointment with the other dermatologist I was seeing. I'm finished with initial three months of doxy/metrogel. I haven't tried Finacea yet, but with all of the good reviews on here, I'm thinking of asking about that one. I hate having this problem though. I wish it would just go away so I can not have to worry about my red face.

        • Kristina Wall
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
            Tried Oracea and Doxy a few times and it actually broke me out more. I am now back to using my original antibiotic, Ceftin, and it cleared me up within a day or two.

            Kristina

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com, "aurban90" <angela.b.urban@...> wrote:

            > I saw a new dermatologist the other day. I think he scared me. He kept referring to my rosacea as "acne" rather than "rosacea," and when I asked him about it, he said they were the same. He gave me a prescription for tretinoin (Retin-a/retinoic acid). I called the pharmacist to ask how much the prescription would cost (my insurance doesn't cover tretinoin) and it is $100. The doc said it should only cost me about $40. The worst part is I just found a NY Times article talking about Retin-A, and while it does seem to work for acne, it is not recommended for people with rosacea.
            >
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
            >
            > What should I do? Should I go forward with it, or try to get another appointment with the other dermatologist I was seeing. I'm finished with initial three months of doxy/metrogel. I haven't tried Finacea yet, but with all of the good reviews on here, I'm thinking of asking about that one. I hate having this problem though. I wish it would just go away so I can not have to worry about my red face.

          • aurban90
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
              The first week, I saw no results with the 40mg of doxy. It was like I had stopped doing everything. My face was flushed and I had the burning just as bad as before I got treated. The second week though, I started to see improvement, and this week I barely have any flushing. I only get the flare ups the week before menstruation, so it's possible that's why the doc also prescribed the tretinoin. For now, I'm only taking the 40mg (20mg of doxy twice a day) and applying the metrogel once in the morning. Prior to this treatment, I was taking the 100mg of the doxy, plus using metro twice per day. I think the metro twice a day was too much for my skin, making it too oily and causing more flare ups.

              My son has SD. I'd love to hear what works for that. I've used olive oil on his scalp and it seems to help at times.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, diane Wickersheim <dianewickersheim@...> wrote:

                > I have seborrheic dermatitis as well ...

                My derm said the Accutane will not be effective on SD.
                FWIW Ciclopirox Olamine Cream USP 0.77% has alleviated SD for me.

                > How quick did you see results and is it 40mg a day?

                Immediate.

                I hope these medications will be effective for you.
                Peace and good luck ...