Re: [rosacea] Re: hydrocortisone

  • Todd Davidson
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 1, 2013
      Metronidazole has been the "golden standard" rosacea treatment since the 80's with the development of "metrogel". Now azelaic acid gel "finacea" and metrogel are both considered first line treatments for rosacea.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 28, 2013, at 9:29 PM, Beth Phillips Brown <philipsbrown@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ann,
      >
      > A point of clarification: metronidazole is not a steroid. It is an
      > antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. Its
      > uses include topical use for rosacea. I have heard of it being used in pill
      > form for combinations of conditions or other conditions like the h.pylori
      > bacteria that causes ulcers. It is a serious heavy-duty medication to be
      > taking and has some very unpleasant side effects. I was kind of amazed to
      > see its brand name as Flagyl. Seeing that freaked me out a little!
      >
      > Some of us would get rebound rosacea from using hydrocortisone cream on the
      > face. Maybe it works for you and that’s fine. I am a big proponent of
      > whatever works.
      > There is no one-size-fits-all cure or management strategy! We’ll all be
      > further along with supporting each other’s choices with education and
      > information that can turn to knowledge and the wisdom that comes from
      > experience.
      >
      > :-)
      > Beth PB
      >
      > On 2/28/13 4:03 PM, "Ann" AnnieGoose10@...> wrote:
      >

      > > i have never EVER had a problem with hydrocortisone cream -- not in the over
      > > 20 years that i have used it. FYI - i am totally allergic to prednisone so
      > > all the doctors and nurses are amazed that i can use hydrocortisone cream
      > > without a problem.
      > >
      > > whenever i put it on my face -- it took away the redness in less than 15
      > > minutes. and MY dermatologist told me it was okay to use -- since i am
      > > terribly allergic to all the other steroids like the Metronidazole.
      > >
      > > please remember that all of us are different and our systems are different.
      > > so what has been working for me will not necessarily work for someone else.

    • Beth Phillips Brown
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 16, 2013
        Hi Todd:

        I figured out what the problem was/is: a housemate was putting tissue with
        lotion in the bathroom but she never told me the tissue had lotion until I
        mentioned I was having this problem. Since I stopped using the tissue, it¹s
        healed and I¹m only using the Avenue product when it¹s a bad allergy day and
        any kind of tissue would irritate the area.

        Thanks! Maybe something ilke the above is what could be triggering yours,
        too.

        Beth PB