Re: [rosacea] anxiety meds

  • Lesley M
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
      I have type I rosacea....my face burns constantly.  The only variation is the degree. When it gets really bad, it makes me restless & annoyed.  I take Xanax 0.25mg once a day only when absolutely needed (I'm too bull headed for my own good).  I also take a low dose Celexa for the anxiety & PTSD it caused.  Hope this helps.

      Lesley
       California

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2012
        I take an anxiety med. I haven't noticed that my anxiety med affects my ocular rosacea or regular rosacea. Anxiety by itself sure affects it though!

        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Kristina Wall" <kmwall05@...> wrote:

        > Hi All-
        >
        > Does anyone on the board take anxiety meds? Do they affect rosacea in anyway?
        >
        > I have been having a lot of anxiety lately and have not been able to sleep in the last year. I really attribute some of this to my rosacea. I am up and bed nervous of what I might see in the mirror the next morning. I could go to bed with ok skin and wake up in a flare. My flares usually happen at night and mostly on my righ cheek. I am up a few times and night checking to make sure no more new p&p's have popped up. Has anyone else gotten this anxious over their rosacea or is it just me?
        >
        > Thanks. Kristina

      • diane Wickersheim
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2012
          Boy did you ever hit the nail on the head for me!!! Im am so anxiety ridden also that it disturbs my sleep too. I check my face several times a night as well as many times a day too. I take xanax as well too and i dont think it affects the p&p's negatively. I try not to take every day and if i do its only at night at .25 mg so i can sleep. I was doing good for a few days and had no new changes in diet or routine and was actually thinking that i hit a turning point and something was working. Well no go cause i went to bed last night with a completely clear jawline and today woke with a massive red welt.. I dont understand what brings them out in rhat spot.. Is it food or hormones???? Ive been on spiro for a year and still git them and M currently on hormone cream and still get them too.. I once tried Saw Palmetto, maybe its time to revisit something else that will help hormones..
          On a side note, anyone who has been on Armour for their thyroid see an increase in bumps or have results been podistive?

        • Kristina Wall
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
            My dr. gave me .25 xanax for sleep too. It seems to be helping. All I ask for is a good night sleep so I can function for work the next day. I would wake up several nights, as well, to check my face, it was becoming awful. It consumed my mind- it was all I could think about. I hit those "good skin weeks" too, where I think I'm home-free and then I flare comes again and I don't know why. The nights are the worst for my anxiety, because I wash my face and use the meds- which initially get my skin red all over again. Morning and day are usually best for me. By the morning my skin is calmer (if I didn't flare overnight), and during the day, the makeup covers most of my rosacea, so then I'm feeling fairly confident.  However, I am going in to see a new derm at the end of the month for a second option on my options. Now I'm just on Finacea along with my other supplements. I think Finacea is helping some, but it still does irritate my skin after I put it on.
            Maybe I should wait longer after to washing it to appy or use a moisturizer first, any tips??

            Kristina

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
              Kristina,

              Are you mixing the Finacea with your moisturizer or putting it on straight?
              There are a couple of ways you can minimize the stinging & irritation. One
              is to apply the moisturizer first. You may want to do this until your skin
              no longer feels irritated post-Finacea. Another trick is to mix the Finacea
              with the moisturizer. This would be a good second step if you do the
              moisturizer first. Then wait until your skin no longer is irritated by the
              Finacea/moisturizer mix.

              When I first began with azelaic acid (Finacea, Azelax), my skin did not like
              it at all. I started by moisturizing first, then the topical. After a
              couple of weeks, then I mixed the topical with the moisturizer and applied
              that. Gradually, I decreased the moisturizer with the Finacea until I was
              doing them in separate steps.

              Hope this helps! If the irritation shows up, go back to the way of doing it
              that did not aggravate the skin condition. :-) Another tip is to wait at
              least 10 minutes between layers of products. Let what you put on dry
              thoroughly before adding the next layer. This is so basic but I know I
              never thought this could make difference until I saw that it did.

              Beth PB

              On 9/3/12 5:33 AM, "Kristina Wall" <kmwall05@...> wrote:

              > My dr. gave me .25 xanax for sleep too. It seems to be helping. All I ask for
              > is a good night sleep so I can function for work the next day. I would wake up
              > several nights, as well, to check my face, it was becoming awful. It consumed
              > my mind- it was all I could think about. I hit those "good skin weeks" too,
              > where I think I'm home-free and then I flare comes again and I don't know why.
              > The nights are the worst for my anxiety, because I wash my face and use the
              > meds- which initially get my skin red all over again. Morning and day are
              > usually best for me. By the morning my skin is calmer (if I didn't flare
              > overnight), and during the day, the makeup covers most of my rosacea, so then
              > I'm feeling fairly confident.  However, I am going in to see a new derm at the
              > end of the month for a second option on my options. Now I'm just on Finacea
              > along with my other supplements. I think Finacea is helping some, but it still
              > does irritate my skin after I put it on.
              > Maybe I should wait longer after to washing it to appy or use a moisturizer
              > first, any tips??
              >
              > Kristina

            • Beth Phillips Brown
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
                Hello Friends,

                Recently, I had the worst flare I¹d had in a very long time ‹ more than a
                year and a half, more like two years. I couldn¹t figure out what was going
                on. Here¹s what helped me get over it -- Mychelle¹s Clear Skin Spot
                Treatment which contains sulphur and zinc as well as some other ingredients.
                I was hesitant to try it but kind of desperate as the p&p was getting close
                to the size of Texas ‹ it had kept growing all week long. The woman at the
                health food store said it works for her. She gave me some in a small
                container, charged .75 for the ³sample² size so I wasn¹t out big bucks if it
                didn¹t work. I put some on right then and by the time I was ready to wash my
                face for bed, it has significantly shrunk. Now this morning, it¹s much,
                much smaller.

                I also used Keys¹ brand healing lotion. just a dab right on the spot about
                10 minutes or so after the mychelle spot treatment. It has a strong smell
                but I was amazed neither of these products triggered more flaring or bad
                stuff. Maybe due to using them only where I really, really needed them.

                In any case, wanted to share with you. I think the flare was caused by
                eating way too many heirloom tomatoes. They were so good, I just couldn¹t
                help myself and I didn¹t connect the two as related until this morning.

                Beth PB

              • Kristina Wall
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Hi Beth-
                  I put the Finacea right after washing my face. I never tried putting it on before the moisturizer or mixing the two together. I also never waited several minutes after washing my face, even though I know I'm supposed to. The Finacea, although works, was flaring my face up big time, so I need to try these tips. I guess I'm just so in a rush to get the medication on, that I don't want to wait but my skin pays the price. Thanks again, Beth.  Hope your flare subsides. Thanks for the sharing what works. I've gotten one huge one here and here, but I ended up using hydrocortisone on it- since they are far and few between- usually I just had several smaller ones or ones that come out under the skin.

                  I will try washing, exfoliating (BHA), moisturizing, and then applying Finacea tonight and see how that works for me.

                  Thanks again!

                  Kristina

                  ________________________________

                  On 9/3/12 5:33 AM, "Kristina Wall" <mailto:kmwall05%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > My dr. gave me .25 xanax for sleep too. It seems to be helping. All I ask for
                  > is a good night sleep so I can function for work the next day. I would wake up
                  > several nights, as well, to check my face, it was becoming awful. It consumed
                  > my mind- it was all I could think about. I hit those "good skin weeks" too,
                  > where I think I'm home-free and then I flare comes again and I don't know why.
                  > The nights are the worst for my anxiety, because I wash my face and use the
                  > meds- which initially get my skin red all over again. Morning and day are
                  > usually best for me. By the morning my skin is calmer (if I didn't flare
                  > overnight), and during the day, the makeup covers most of my rosacea, so then
                  > I'm feeling fairly confident.  However, I am going in to see a new derm at the
                  > end of the month for a second option on my options. Now I'm just on Finacea
                  > along with my other supplements. I think Finacea is helping some, but it still
                  > does irritate my skin after I put it on.
                  > Maybe I should wait longer after to washing it to appy or use a moisturizer
                  > first, any tips??
                  >
                  > Kristina

                • Lita Eitner-England
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 2012
                    As a middle-aged woman with rosacea, I find I HAVE to wait at least a half hour
                    to 45 mins before I put anything on my face after delicately washing it. If I
                    put anything (including meds) on too soon, it's just a disaster.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2012
                      Kristina;
                        Hi, I take 0.5 mg of lorazipam 1x a nite at bedtime. Helps me settle down and sleep at least 4 hours. Keeping stress low and a decent nite's sleep is always  best for us rosaceans. Keep the room cool also, even in Winter.
                          Be vigilant out there.
                          Lynne

                      ________________________________
                      Does anyone on the board take anxiety meds? Do they affect rosacea in anyway?

                      I have been having a lot of anxiety lately and have not been able to sleep in the last year. I really attribute some of this to my rosacea. I am up and bed nervous of what I might see in the mirror the next morning. I could go to bed with ok skin and wake up in a flare. My flares usually happen at night and mostly on my righ cheek. I am up a few times and night checking to make sure no more new p&p's have popped up. Has anyone else gotten this anxious over their rosacea or is it just me?

                      Thanks. Kristina

                    • Lucy Banish
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2012
                        Hey!!
                        I have been taking clonazapm for 5 years....I was prescribed it for anxiety and I discovered a wonderful s/e is it completely stops the blushing/flushing part of rosacea.

                        However, these pills are addictive as are any in the benzodiazepine category.

                        I started at 0.5 mg 1x a day 5 years ago and now am on 3 mg daily.

                        Be careful.
                      • Karen Woller
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2012
                          same - addicted to xanax but it does help - pick your poison