Re: [rosacea] Doxy/Oral antibiotics....insight please

  • Kristina Wall
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
      Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.

      Thanks. Kristina

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
        Well my few days of being off of it - DID NOT WORK :)
        I am right back on it.  It was fine for a few days and then my face starting burning like crazy if I strayed off my purist diet - on doxy I can eat many other foods.
        I don't know about other doxy doses BUT I do know that oracea is a special time release dosage that they are not allowing to be generically made - mine is only 40mg once a day and works great for me.
        You can get an oracea card that allows you to get it cheaper.    I know we can't be on it forever but I am going to try to be on it as long as possible.
        Wish I had better news for you!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
          kristina,
          i was on & off doxy for 18 months...I started getting weird bumps while on it but initially it helped clear up my chin.  I still have never found out what started producing the hive like bumps so I stopped the doxy...well in short im still getting the bumps so I was considering doxy again.  I have both the 50mg, 100mg and 40mg of oracea....you mentioned that you had the 50mg of doxy and i was wondering what the difference was from the 40mg of orcacea?    I too was thinking of going back myself as I need a break from this cycle of inflammation that my skin has been under.  I also feel it will help emotionally if I can see a difference even for a little while.   How many days have you been on it?

          dee

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
            Hi Dee- This is only my third day. The 50mg is still considered an antibiotic, where I think the 40mg is not.  Also, Oracea is much more expensive than gen. doxy. My derm said Oracea doesn't seem to be very effective.  So I figured 50mg every other day, is cheaper, and still a low dose doxy and probably effective.

            I did have some GI issues today though, not sure if it related to doxy, or what I ate today.  Did you ever take a probiotic with the doxy?

            As far as makeup ( I read your other post), I like Clinique's continuous coverage for spot treating the redness. It is fairly moisturizing but oil free. I didn't think the redness solutions foundations covered the redness enough for me.

            Kristina

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2012
              Karen- Oh no:( Yes, not exactly what I wanted to hear.  I really want to be on something safe, long term.  Please let me know if Doxy starts working again for you.  This is also important.
              My goal is to start the doxy until my skin improves, while using a topical that has worked in the past, then weening myself off the doxy to just the topical. I already was just on a topical, before my rosacea was very bad, and it worked just fine. I was on Clindamycin Solution.  But when it returned this Spring, my skin was awful and no topicals worked, so I tried an antibiotic which worked immediately, but then stopped working a month or two after taking it. I really wish there was a long term solution to at least keep the condition under control. It definitely can take control of your life and that is not what I want to happen.

              Kristina

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
                Hi,
                I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.
                Karolina
                --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                >
                > Thanks. Kristina
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Kristina Wall
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Did your rosacea go back to "normal" after stopping it, or get worse?  I am on the pill, and am looking into other methods so I can use doxy if I need to.

                  It sure doesn't sound like doxy is all its cracked up to be. Isn't there anything that works long term to keep it under control?  Why would someone even use oral antibiotics if they only work for a month or so?

                  Kristina

                  ________________________________
                  I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.
                  Karolina
                  --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                  > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                  >
                  > Thanks. Kristina
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • David and Lee Durham
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Kristina, I think alot of people have been on Doxy long term and it continues to help them. I've been on it for several months, and I continue to get help from it. But for me, I use it for my eyes, not my skin. My skin basically remains the same always. Except for when I flush. I have general redness on my checks, chin, a bit on my nose and slight on my forehead. That never goes away, but at times I do flush and it's even redder. I never get any acne and have only have had pustules once on my face when I was trying to find a good dose of progesterone to be on. They left a reddish scar on my face, so I definitely don't want those.....I'm thankful I don't have any P&P's. So I guess it depends on what your problems are.....you will probably just have to see whether you can or cannot stay on it long term. I only take 20mg a day, and it helps.

                    Lee

                    To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com

                    I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.
                    Karolina
                    --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                    > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to get worse and much harder to control.� It needs time to heal for a little while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice the decrease in redness.� I'm also going to give one of the topicals another shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                    > �
                    > Thanks. Kristina
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Kristina Wall
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2012
                      Hi Lee- I have P&P's and redness, which is why I wanted to try doxy. I need a break from it all, so my skin can heal. I sure hope it works, and works long term for me.

                      Thanks. Kristina

                      ________________________________

                      To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com

                      I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.
                      Karolina
                      --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                      > Thanks. Kristina
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Marya Tietz
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 3, 2012
                        As I mentioned before I have been on Oracea for three and a half years with
                        excellent results.  I have been taking it three days a week for the past
                        eighteen months.  However, I am also on Spironalactone 50 mg. and Finacea (only
                        on my chin which was my trouble area) so those are probably helping also.  As in
                        everything with rosacea, people respond differently to medications and
                        supplements.  But I definitely would not assume doxy is not going to work for
                        you long term without trying it.

                        ________________________________

                        I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was
                        planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea
                        flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral
                        contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

                        Karolina
                        --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                        > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea
                        >but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to
                        >get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little
                        >while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice
                        >the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another
                        >shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any
                        >info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or
                        >my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                        >
                        > Thanks. Kristina
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Kristina Wall
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 3, 2012
                          Marya-  Thanks. I sure hope it does:)

                          Kristina

                          ________________________________

                          I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was
                          planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea
                          flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral
                          contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

                          Karolina
                          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                          > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea
                          >but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to
                          >get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little
                          >while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice
                          >the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another
                          >shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any
                          >info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or
                          >my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                          >
                          > Thanks. Kristina
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Kristina Wall
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 4, 2012
                            Has anyone noticed tooth discoloration with using a low dose of doxy? I just read about that and wondered if that is common.  Also, how long does doxy typically take to work or see improvements?

                            Thanks. Kristina

                            ________________________________

                            I was on Oracea for a few months and then had to stop using it becasue I was
                            planning pregnancy. It only helped minimally to begin with and then my rosacea
                            flared up again after stopping. Also, you have to consider you can't be on oral
                            contraceptives while using it. Hopefully you will have a better experience.

                            Karolina
                            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Kristina Wall <kmwall05@...> wrote:

                            > Well, I decided to go on doxy 50mg every other day. So it's not exactly oracea
                            >but a pretty low dose. My fear if I don't do it now, my skin will continue to
                            >get worse and much harder to control.  It needs time to heal for a little
                            >while, which is why I decided on the doxy. After a few days, I already notice
                            >the decrease in redness.  I'm also going to give one of the topicals another
                            >shot in conjunction, along with my clinique skin care routine. If anyone has any
                            >info on doxy, please share. My fear is that it will just stop working one day or
                            >my rosacea will get worse when I stop taking it.
                            >
                            > Thanks. Kristina
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Todd Davidson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 4, 2012
                              Very common side effect of oral antibiotics. Just use some extra white strips a couple times a week and you will be fine.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                            • Lynne Kingsley
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 6, 2012
                                Kristina;
                                    Yes, I have some discoloration; but I've been taking tetra-doxy antibiotics for almost 40 years for my skin; I'm 63 now. Whitening does help; esp the professional bleaching by a DDS.  Try the strips first,though.(Crest?) Dont overdo it.
                                     Be vigilant out there,too.
                                       Lynne

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 6, 2012
                                  Lynne-  Has the doxy continued to work for you for the entire 40 years???? If so, I'm ok with a little discoloration:)

                                  Kristina