Re: [rosacea] Garden of Wisdom Products

  • Kristina Wall
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi Dee-

      I agree with Beth. Less is more. I keep trying other products as well (like the the Yes to carrots) but they are to harsh for my skin.  I keep returning to the Cerave or Cetaphil.  I think my favorite is the Cerave cleansers but the Cetaphil moisturizers.  We were talking about this earlier, have you tried the Clinique redness line for rosacea? The reviews are fabulous and the people are the board heard good things to. Maybe you can try a sample pack. I still might because I'm struggling with the blotchy redness on my cheeks, which the topicals and/or antibiotcs do not help. I hate to say it, but just because products are "natural" doesn't mean they are gentlier on your skin- as least I've noticed this. However, I do love Jojoba oil for a moisturizer!

      Good Luck.

      Kristina

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
        thanks Kristina
        Ive done so much picking at my blackheads that Im inflamed and raw now in my chin area.
        It seems like things are ok for a while then Bam an explosion hits.  I cant get the clogs under
        control for any length of time.  The gentle cleansers recommended for Rosaceans aggrevate
        my chin area and clog no matter if I use a washcloth in this area only or my Clarisonic.
        The sides of my face are red blotchs I believe from SD and are slowly fading but I look
        diseased in the morning when I first wake up.  Before I do anything I have to conceal this
        "dots".  Some times there are 10-20 of them sporadically on the sides of my face.  I cant
        seem to figure out what fades them and what doesnt.  My derm did perscribe 20mg of Accutane
        once a week.  That was 10weeks ago and there has been zero change in my skin.  In fact,
        its worse.  Its such a low dose that there really arent any side effects but I do think my oil is less.
        It has not stopped the constant sebum plugs from forming and needing to be "dug" out.  I hate
        my skin, my self and my life right now.  I m very depressed over the state of things and
        often dont leave the house.  I just dont know how I can get over this.  Its been so long since Ive
        been happy.  I dont know what that is anymore..Sorry for being depressing but I'm at an all point
        low.  I truly believe after 30 yrs there is nothing left out there for my skin.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
          Hi Dee-
          I can't imagine.  I get down as well when my skin is having a bad day, so I can understand that. My skin is also worse in the morning with red spots. Don't know exactly why, I thought skin "heals" at night, so I would wake up with nice skin, but it is always red and blotchy. It usually gets better throughout the day. What exactly do you mean by "clogs"?  What do the derms say? Can you do microdermabrasion or anything like that to help?  Is your skin very sensitive? Are you positive you are dealing with only rosacea? Have you tried adding the baking soda to your wash like Todd suggested?

          Kristina

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
            Hi Dee,

            I do know how you feel....sometimes my skin is so red and rashy I want to hide. This time of year is especially hard. I am in NJ and it's currently cold. I can't wear wool, anything with acrylic blends or cashmere. The sad part is I am still learning even after having this condition for many years that there is always something new I can't wear or put near my face. Recently, I thought I was looking trendy and cute with my new scarf  and t shirt until I caught sight of myself in a mirror at the mall and my chin was a bright bright red. The scarf was an acrylic blend.

            I never leave the house without foundation and plenty of cover up. I have days when I want to call off work because my skin is a mess.  But, I can't afford to because I just started. I work in retail so I deal with alot of people and some days I am humiliated by huge red bumps or a super red appearance. I am going to try Clinique Redness Relief to see if it helps. I do see a derm. but I can't afford any expensive laser treatments.

            I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone with your feelings. If I find anything that works....I'll post it. I hope things improve for you quickly.

            Victoria

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
              Please let us know how the Clinique line works for you. I just bought the foundation and so far so good. It seems to cover well without any irritation.

              Kristina

              ________________________________

[...]

            • Beth Phillips Brown
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
                Hi Dee,

                I¹m sorry that you¹re feeling so depressed about your skin¹s condition. I
                wish I had a magic wand to wave in your direction and make it all better.
                At the least, I wish I had a suggestion for you and I don¹t. All I can do
                is listen via the group and send you a cup of not-too-hot-but-just-right
                your favorite flavor cyber-tea.
                Could you declare a mirror moratorium for a couple of days? Maybe if you
                must look in the mirror, for every awful thing you see or find, find
                something beautiful there, too. That¹s all I can suggest.

                Kindest regards,
                Beth PB
              • AnnieGoose10@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 2, 2011
                  i have a friend here in WA state who loves the clinique line -- she says
                  that it really works for her.

                  finally went to the dermatologist a week ago Monday -- she gave me a
                  prescription for metrogel for my rosacea -- but it's like $500 a month!!!! and
                  our insurance plan will only pay 40% of that -- so i WON'T be filling that
                  prescription any time soon. right now i'm using both jojoba and calendula
                  and so far so good.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2011
                    Yes, I wouldn't pay it either.  It didn't work for me and I think it didn't work for many others on the board too. The only topical that works for me (and I tried them all) was clindamycin but it gave me some GI issues so I needed to stop (but according to my derm that is rare with a topical). That is probably cheaper, you could ask your derm about that.
                    Kristina

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2011
                      Kristina
                      I have tons of clogged pores that fill my chin and corners of my mouth.  they are so fine
                      and they are attached to the hair follicle.  It seems like the dead skin is covering the pore
                      which then backs up.  I have not been able to stop or prevent these in two years. I've had
                      testing for everything know to man and cannot figure out for the life of me what contributes
                      to them.  I literally have to dig them out of my chin.  I cannot find a moisturizer that
                      adds much needed hydration without adding to the clogs.  This does not even cover the
                      rest of my face that is plagued with red uneven texture, veins and HUGE pores...Im so
                      disgusting to look at sometimes and makeup does not help at all.  It only adds to my dryness
                      and accentuates my already dilated pores...Ive had 3 Vbeams and theyve done nothing.
                      Im due to go again on Monday at $400 each session and I just dont know if it will be worth it.
                      She wants to also combine the Vbeam with the gentle YAG laser but I've heard horror stories
                      about this laser.  I really want something to shrink my pores as they look like open crators...

                      Dee

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 4, 2011
                        Hi Annie Goose:

                        Check out the generic version of Metrogel ­ metronadizole, I think it¹s
                        called. Target, CVS, Walgreens & RiteAid all have
                        programs for generic drugs. You will need to either google these drug
                        stores and their programs to see if this is included in their
                        list. If so, it should be no more than $25 - 40 /month. It¹s worth a try!

                        Beth PB

                        On 12/2/11 6:23 PM, "AnnieGoose10@..." <AnnieGoose10@...> wrote:

                        > i have a friend here in WA state who loves the clinique line -- she says
                        > that it really works for her.
                        >
                        > finally went to the dermatologist a week ago Monday -- she gave me a
                        > prescription for metrogel for my rosacea -- but it's like $500 a month!!!!
                        > and
                        > our insurance plan will only pay 40% of that -- so i WON'T be filling that
                        > prescription any time soon. right now i'm using both jojoba and calendula
                        > and so far so good.

                      • karen quigley
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 22, 2012
                          Hi Victoria,
                          I too am from NJ and you sound ALOT like myself.  I'm sooooo glad to know there's someone like me out there and in NJ too.  Let me know how you fare with the Clinque Redness line.  I've looked at it shopping in the mall, but haven't "pulled the trigger" on buying it yet.

                          Thanks
                          Karen

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 22, 2012
                            Victoria & Karen
                            I too am from NJ and I've tried the clinique redess line. Specifically the concealer.  I m sorry to say I didnt like it as much as my dermablend. It was not a good match for my skin color either.  It will be going back to macy's.

                            Dee

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 23, 2012
                              Hi Karen and Dee,

                              I purchased the Clinique Redness Line in mid December.  But,  I am reluctant to try anything new on my face right now because it has calmed down, finally. It was pretty awful for awhile. I haven't had much luck in the past with new products. I will give it a chance in another week.
                              I am sorry Dee that you didn't have any positive results with it. I will give an update. Keep me posted, ladies if you find anything that works well.

                              Victoria

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 23, 2012
                                I just started the daily relief cream. A bit pricy but had great reviews so I am trying it twice a day. The consulant uses it and said give it about a month to see the difference. I will let you know how well it works for my redness.  I also bought just the regular mild cleanser and clarifying lotion since my skin tends to be dry and flaky as well and it needs mild exfoliation.

                                I did purchase the redness foundation, I didn't feel it covered the redness that well, so I purchased the continuos coverage and started using a foundation/concealer brush to apply, then set with powder (a yellow toned), and that does the trick.

                                Kristina

                                ________________________________

                              • barbarahelene286@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 23, 2012
                                  I have fair thin sensitive skin, easily reactive to sun, heat, cold, exertion....and stays that way! I don't have p and p after low dose Accutane 10 years ago and my skin is normal to dry, and often dehydrated, at 64. I use a stick foundation to cover my nose, chin, forehead, and a tinted moisturizer on the rest of my face, then light dusted with Pur Mineral Pressed Powder for setting and a bit more coverage.

                                  I have been using the Clinique Redness cleanser and cream for the past year and my skin is noticeably smoother and much less reactive. Daily fish oil helps too.

                                  Good luck,
                                  Barbara

[...]

                                • David and Lee Durham
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 23, 2012
                                    Barbara, Are you the one who uses the Max stick foundation ? If so could you send me the name of it again ? I was intrigued by it, and wanted to at least keep the email about that product with the link. But I misplaced it ! If you aren't the person who uses that product, I apologize. But I like your method of makeup usage, I may try it myself.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Lee

                                    To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 23, 2012
                                      Oh Barbara, As I was hitting the "Send" button, I realized I wanted to ask you what tinted moisturizer you use ??

                                      Thanks for sharing,
                                      Lee

                                      To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                                        Hi Lee--

                                        I'm the one who uses the Max Factor Pan-Stik. Since Max Factor was bought
                                        up by Procter & Gamble, P & G concentrates on Cover Girl in the U.S., but
                                        they sell Max Factor abroad, and it's available in the U.S. ONLY through
                                        drugstore.com. This link leads to one shade, but shows the others they
                                        have, too.
                                        http://www.drugstore.com/max-factor-pan-stik-ultra-creamy-makeup-true-beige-125/qxp159273?catid=183550
                                        It may not be for everyone,
                                        but I know I have had great luck with it.

                                        Good luck--

                                        Marie Lamb

                                        On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM, David and Lee Durham <DDavleedurham@...

                                      • Marie Lamb
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                                          I sent Lee a link, but if anyone else is looking for Max Factor Pan-Stik,
                                          here's a link to one
                                          shade that shows others as well. Max Factor products are only available in
                                          the U.S. through drugstore.com these days, but they're sold in stores in
                                          many other countries.

                                          http://www.drugstore.com/max-factor-pan-stik-ultra-creamy-makeup-true-beige-125/qxp159273?catid=183550

                                          Marie

                                        • Kristina Wall
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 24, 2012
                                            Hi-

                                            I am not sure if this got posted or not, but for all of you fellow D3 takers, about how long does it take to tell a difference in your rosacea?  Does it just help the redness/flushing, or p&p's?

                                            And also, I notice many of you use oil-free products for rosacea, what is the reason for that? So it doesn't clog pores?  What if you have very dry skin? Is Cetaphil and Cerave oil free???

                                            Thank you. Kristina
                                          • diane Wickersheim
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 20, 2012
                                              I think I've asked this before but dont know if I got any feedback regarding Garden of Wisdom products.
                                              I have been using them on and off for approx a year and I just dont know what to think.  Their philosphy
                                              seem great when it comes to what products to use for sensitive and rosacean skin but skin is still having
                                              issues despite these products.  I cant seem to find a cleanser that doesnt make me red after washing but
                                              removes light makeup and doesnt seem to clog my pores but also needs to gentle clean out the gunk that
                                              gets stuck in my pores.  Sometimes I think Im asking too much of a cleanser as I have so many needs to a
                                              address but there has to be something out there for me.  GOW cleansers always need something prior to cleansing
                                              to remove makeup and I hate this part.  I just want one simple gentle cleanser.  I know I have a bit of seb derm
                                              so I need to gently remove flakes every couple of days so trying to find balance is tough.  Ive recently tried
                                              Dermalogicas Ultra calming cleanser again after trying it a year ago.  Its so calming but I was left with big
                                              huge clogs in my chin area that werent clogged to begin with.  I used it for a week and I dont know when I will learn.
                                              It calmed the rest of my face but even removing with a cotton cloth in just the chin didnt help to avoid the clogs.
                                              I'd love some feedback on whether anyone has experience with these products and what cleansers everyone is using.
                                              I know lots of you love CeraVe but my skin just doesnt like this one at all.  If suds lightly and found this drying which
                                              make things so much worse.  I also dont have a light moisturizer which complicates things.  I have even tried Avene
                                              anti redness cleansing fluid and they are all just too emollient and thick for my large pores...Soo many issues its exhausting.
                                              I dont want to try the low dose accutane again (did 20mg once a week for 4 months and only aggrevated my seb derm)
                                              but I just dont know what will stop these plugs from forming.  I feel if I could resolve this then washing with something
                                              gentle as not to aggrevate my rosacea would be simple.
                                              thanks
                                              dee

                                            • Kristina Wall
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 20, 2012
                                                Hi Dee- The only thought I might have is a cleanser containing salicylic acid, that should definitely help with keeping your pores clean.  Do you have dry or oily skin?  One cleanser and treatment I like is Neutrogena Oil free Acne Control.  It definitely clears blemishes and tones down the redness for me.  I use it as a spot treatment after I cleanse. Maybe you need a gentle exfoliant to add instead of a different cleanser?? I will send you a link to this cleanser.

                                                I also think you must decide what you want to control first. I know I got this idea from the group. For me, the acne is the worst. I would much rather deal with the redness because that can be covered with makeup. P&P's can't. So I decided to use the clindamycin instead of the finacea after going back and forth between the two. The clindamycin is awesome at clearing the acne, but the finacea is better with the redness.

                                                How was your sisters wedding by the way?

                                                 Kristina

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 20, 2012
                                                  Dee- This is the cleanser I was talking about. It helps control the acne part of rosacea, redness, and unclog pores. Check it out and see what you think. It does have a slight fragrance though and can be a bit drying if used with other topicals or without moisturizer, but I do like this line. I feel it is so effective and gentle at the same time.

                                                  http://www.neutrogena.com/product/oil-free+acne+stress+control-+power-cream+wash.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 21, 2012
                                                    Dee,

                                                    There are two Cerave cleansers, one of which is hydrating and the other is
                                                    foaming. It sounds like you've used the foaming one? If it's the foaming
                                                    one
                                                    you've tried, you may want to try the hydrating cleanser as it's extremely
                                                    gentle. : )

                                                    Beth PB