Acne Rosacea - nothing seems to work

  • kathyb365
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi Folks:
      I've had acne rosacea for about 13 years and it has gotten progressively worse. My dermatologist has prescribed everything and nothing seems to work, including
      - Doryx - daily for about a year - didn't work
      - topical antibiotics - 2 different kinds for a year - nothing
      - Metrogel - daily for years, no appreciable effect
      - Zinc based make up (daily for about 5 years- covers it up but that's it).
      - Vitamin D

      What is odd about it is that for me it is seasonal - usually from Nov. - Mar. I live in northern NH. This year it didn't strike until Jan., but now it is full blown, big red bumps on my face (nine right now - ouch!). This makes me think it isn't a food allergy as my diet doesn't really change from season to season.

      I only use Cetaphil to wash and use an all natural facial moisterizer (an all natural "Roseline" product made for sensitive skin, by a local organic shop).

      I read a lot about Rosacea-Ltd IV but most of the info out there on the web seems to be generated by the company that sells it. Would like to know what others have seen work.
    • gibsondeis
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
        Hi. I guess I have the same thing (?) - I have adult acne plus rosacea. FWIW, here's what I'm using right now:

        Oracea (Rx oral antibiotic)
        Spironolactone (Rx hormone for acne)
        Finacea (Rx cream, apply am and pm)
        Sumaxin (Rx cleanser, use at pm)
        CeraVe cleanser (use am)
        CeraVe moisturizers (apply am and pm) (dermatologist recommended that I use Eucerin Redness Relief in the a.m., which is okay, but I prefer the CeraVe a.m. moisturizer - it doesn't have that green tint which can look spooky to me!)

        I've seen moderate improvement with this regime, which I've been on for about 1 1/2 years now, sort of. I do think I will eventually try the laser treatments because I can't see staying on these Rx meds for the rest of my life and I think these have done all they can do - now I'm just maintaining with not much more improvement that I can see. Hope this is helpful to you in some way.

        warmly,
        Beth
      • kathyb365
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
          Thanks Beth. That's a lot of RX to take. When you say "sort of" do you mean you've sort of been on it a year or the relief has been "sort of" moderate?

          I convinced myself treatment was working off and on but now that I am off all the meds I realize they were making no difference (other than my wallet) as symptoms wax and wane especially seasonally.

          Have you ever tried Accutane?

          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "gibsondeis" <gibsondeis@...> wrote:

          > Hi. I guess I have the same thing (?) - I have adult acne plus rosacea. FWIW, here's what I'm using right now:
          >
          > Oracea (Rx oral antibiotic)
          > Spironolactone (Rx hormone for acne)
          > Finacea (Rx cream, apply am and pm)
          > Sumaxin (Rx cleanser, use at pm)
          > CeraVe cleanser (use am)
          > CeraVe moisturizers (apply am and pm) (dermatologist recommended that I use Eucerin Redness Relief in the a.m., which is okay, but I prefer the CeraVe a.m. moisturizer - it doesn't have that green tint which can look spooky to me!)
          >
          > I've seen moderate improvement with this regime, which I've been on for about 1 1/2 years now, sort of. I do think I will eventually try the laser treatments because I can't see staying on these Rx meds for the rest of my life and I think these have done all they can do - now I'm just maintaining with not much more improvement that I can see. Hope this is helpful to you in some way.
          >
          > warmly,
          > Beth

        • gibsondeis
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
            I meant to say that I have been on my present skincare routine about one a half years. I haven't been diligent about it the whole time because I get lazy and forgetful or too busy or just too tired at night. :-) And once I couldn't get my prescriptions filled for a few weeks because of an insurance problem. So, I haven't been 100% consistent for the whole time is what I was trying to say. But I've recommitted to doing it as faithfully as I can to see the full benefits. Then I'll go back for a follow-up appt. with my derm. and ask about laser options. I think the laser treatments will be less costly in the long run than staying on all these prescription meds for years, don't you? And, no, I have never tried accutane. Have you? Beth

            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "kathyb365" <kathyb365@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Beth. That's a lot of RX to take. When you say "sort of" do you mean you've sort of been on it a year or the relief has been "sort of" moderate?
            >
            > I convinced myself treatment was working off and on but now that I am off all the meds I realize they were making no difference (other than my wallet) as symptoms wax and wane especially seasonally.
            >
            > Have you ever tried Accutane?
            >
            > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "gibsondeis" <gibsondeis@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi. I guess I have the same thing (?) - I have adult acne plus rosacea. FWIW, here's what I'm using right now:
            > >
            > > Oracea (Rx oral antibiotic)
            > > Spironolactone (Rx hormone for acne)
            > > Finacea (Rx cream, apply am and pm)
            > > Sumaxin (Rx cleanser, use at pm)
            > > CeraVe cleanser (use am)
            > > CeraVe moisturizers (apply am and pm) (dermatologist recommended that I use Eucerin Redness Relief in the a.m., which is okay, but I prefer the CeraVe a.m. moisturizer - it doesn't have that green tint which can look spooky to me!)
            > >
            > > I've seen moderate improvement with this regime, which I've been on for about 1 1/2 years now, sort of. I do think I will eventually try the laser treatments because I can't see staying on these Rx meds for the rest of my life and I think these have done all they can do - now I'm just maintaining with not much more improvement that I can see. Hope this is helpful to you in some way.
            > >
            > > warmly,
            > > Beth

          • DAVID LEE DURHAM
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
              I just add to chime in about the Accutane thing. I've never used it myself, but I had my son on it for a while back when he was a teenager, for acne. It was just horrible. Oh it did help with the acne, for sure. But it dried out his poor lips so much he had awful chapped lips with sores on them. And they swelled up too. Nothing helped to keep them soft or undried. It was almost more painful looking that the acne. Plus there used to be some concern about teenagers feeling suicidal while being on it. Don't know if that is the case with adults. But I think that's a scary drug.......

              Lee

              --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com<mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, "kathyb365" <kathyb365@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Beth. That's a lot of RX to take. When you say "sort of" do you mean you've sort of been on it a year or the relief has been "sort of" moderate?
              >
              > I convinced myself treatment was working off and on but now that I am off all the meds I realize they were making no difference (other than my wallet) as symptoms wax and wane especially seasonally.
              >
              > Have you ever tried Accutane?
              >
              > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com<mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, "gibsondeis" <gibsondeis@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi. I guess I have the same thing (?) - I have adult acne plus rosacea. FWIW, here's what I'm using right now:
              > >
              > > Oracea (Rx oral antibiotic)
              > > Spironolactone (Rx hormone for acne)
              > > Finacea (Rx cream, apply am and pm)
              > > Sumaxin (Rx cleanser, use at pm)
              > > CeraVe cleanser (use am)
              > > CeraVe moisturizers (apply am and pm) (dermatologist recommended that I use Eucerin Redness Relief in the a.m., which is okay, but I prefer the CeraVe a.m. moisturizer - it doesn't have that green tint which can look spooky to me!)
              > >
              > > I've seen moderate improvement with this regime, which I've been on for about 1 1/2 years now, sort of. I do think I will eventually try the laser treatments because I can't see staying on these Rx meds for the rest of my life and I think these have done all they can do - now I'm just maintaining with not much more improvement that I can see. Hope this is helpful to you in some way.
              > >
              > > warmly,
              > > Beth

            • Gina
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
                I have a teenage son with acne now. I won't even go near the accutane. There are
                STILL way too many side effects and lawsuits. No way! It's not worth the risk.
                He is responding pretty well to retinol cream. It's just hard to get him to wash
                and use the cream every night. A little dry from the cream, but moisturizer is
                taking care of that. The price is also only $40 now, not $250. Gina

                ________________________________

                "kathyb365" <kathyb365@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Beth. That's a lot of RX to take. When you say "sort of" do you mean
                >you've sort of been on it a year or the relief has been "sort of" moderate?
                >
                > I convinced myself treatment was working off and on but now that I am off all
                >the meds I realize they were making no difference (other than my wallet) as
                >symptoms wax and wane especially seasonally.
                >
                > Have you ever tried Accutane?
                >
                > --- In
                >rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com<mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>,
                >"gibsondeis" <gibsondeis@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi. I guess I have the same thing (?) - I have adult acne plus rosacea. FWIW,
                >here's what I'm using right now:
                > >
                > > Oracea (Rx oral antibiotic)
                > > Spironolactone (Rx hormone for acne)
                > > Finacea (Rx cream, apply am and pm)
                > > Sumaxin (Rx cleanser, use at pm)
                > > CeraVe cleanser (use am)
                > > CeraVe moisturizers (apply am and pm) (dermatologist recommended that I use
                >Eucerin Redness Relief in the a.m., which is okay, but I prefer the CeraVe a.m.
                >moisturizer - it doesn't have that green tint which can look spooky to me!)
                > >
                > > I've seen moderate improvement with this regime, which I've been on for about
                >1 1/2 years now, sort of. I do think I will eventually try the laser treatments
                >because I can't see staying on these Rx meds for the rest of my life and I think
                >these have done all they can do - now I'm just maintaining with not much more
                >improvement that I can see. Hope this is helpful to you in some way.
                > >
                > > warmly,
                > > Beth

              • Jennifer Moore
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
                  I was on accutane for 5 months June to December. It worked great to clear up my acne and stop the excessive oil production. While I was on it the burning and tingling sensation I get associated with my rosacea was gone. I did get very sun sensitive, and was for the most part red most of the time. I also still got flushes (face,ears, neck, and chest). Since I have been off accutane some of the acne has started to come back, the redness has calmed down but the tingling and burning sensation has returned. I do still flush not as much but or as long but its still a flush. I can see that some of the oil is starting to return to my skin... so I am hoping it will not get bad like before. I do and always have since starting accutane used aveeno ultra calming face wash, cerave cream and cerave lotion. I also try and use zinc based sunscreen like solar bar or neutro. baby sunscreen. My lips did get very chapped but Vaseline and Bert's bee chap stick helped to relieve that. It can be a good drug for certain individuals. I would not think twice about taking it again if I had to.
                  J.

                  --- On Fri, 3/4/11, Gina <regina_gresler@...> wrote:

                  I have a teenage son with acne now. I won't even go near the accutane. There are STILL way too many side effects and lawsuits. No way! It's not worth the risk.
                  He is responding pretty well to retinol cream. It's just hard to get him to wash and use the cream every night. A little dry from the cream, but moisturizer is taking care of that. The price is also only $40 now, not $250. Gina
                • Lynne Kingsley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Hi all;
                    � Accutane did work wonders for me; esp with beginnings of rhinophyma and oil production. Too much of a hassle now to obtain EVEN the lo-dose. There is no substitute for accutane,YET, if used wisely.
                    � Ask questions and be vigilant out there,too.
                    � LYNNE