Georgia Holbrook's rosacea treatments (joy-full.com) ???

  • gibsondeis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi, all. I've been doing a little research today to start the New Year and was reading an article by Christiane Northrup about rosacea: http://www.drnorthrup.com/womenshealth/healthcenter/topic_details.php?topic_id=56. Northrup references another woman - Georgie Holbrook - and her website (www.joy-full.com) for recommended reading:

      "Georgie is a nationally-recognized health educator and professional speaker, wellness trainer, and workshop leader who has chronicled her personal story of healing from rosacea and inspires people to find their spiritual center and heal from the inside."

      Unfortunately, when I went to Georgie's website it appears she only shares her "wisdom" if you buy her book or CD. I'm always skeptical of that sort of thing, but I do have respect for Northrup and her opinions. So I'm curious: has anyone ever purchased anything from Georgie Holbrook or heard her speak somewhere? Is she legitimate? What has she discovered regarding the treatment of rosacea? Why is she not more forthcoming with her advice?

      thanks,
      Beth

      p.s. Some of you may also find this article of interest: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyaging/holisticskincare.aspx. It includes a bit about rosacea, too. (BTW, this is from the women's medical clinic that Northrup founded in Maine.)
    • Aurelia
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi Beth,

        The link in your postscript didn't work, possibly because a punctuation mark was hard up against it. I've corrected that in the copy of your post (below) for anyone interested in the article on holistic skincare.

        As for Georgie Holbrook, I've not read her book but it is relatively cheap at $17.95. However, on her site I can't see anything about a money-back guarantee. Imho, that is important with "let me help you heal"-type books. Did you spot any mention of a guarantee?

        Kind regards,

        Aurelia

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
          Hi Beth,

          Since no one has tackled your question "What has she discovered regarding the treatment of rosacea?", I'll offer a few suggestions to tide you over until we hear from someone who has bought the book or got it from a library.

          It appears to be a self-improvement manual for spiritual, emotional and bodily healing, taking what is now a common holistic approach: exercise; eat lots of alkaline vegetables; avoid junk food, alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes; avoid stressful situations and negative thoughts, both of which she considers "acid forming".

          Since Amazon stocks the book, you can consult the table of contents, first pages and index here:
          http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Full-Holistic-Remedies-Georgie-Holbrook/dp/096687420X#reader_096687420X

          The index is particularly helpful in showing that there is unlikely to be anything similar to the kind of rosacea treatment advice dispensed by medical doctors. Georgie opposes medical intervention and is committed to "healing solutions which are non-related to vitamins, herbs or medications". She strongly believes that illnesses can be healed "by addressing the emotional and physical areas of one's life", which suggests that she sides with the people who attribute rosacea (plus cancer and almost every other bodily ill) to negative emotions, traumatic experiences earlier in life, etc.

          My personal take on this is that although there is no doubt that stress and depression can inflict awful damage on the body, and some people might suffer from bodily problems triggered by their subconscious mind (eg hysterical paralysis) or even from conditions like BDD, anorexia or Munchausen Syndrome, to name just a few, there is no reason to assume that everyone who is ill got that way through wrong thinking. Is that liberating patients or victimising them?

          Plenty of people who today are fighting awful illnesses were happy and well-balanced prior to falling ill, and anxiety only set in after they developed rosacea ... after setting off too many trigger factors and then only if they have the genetic predisposition for rosacea. Without the genes, no rosacea.

          I don't doubt that this book will be wonderfully helpful and inspiring for some people. Who couldn't benefit from leading calmer, happier, more spiritual lives? Yet I doubt that the techniques described will heal everything that ails us. As well as being spiritual and emotional beings, we are also incredibly complex bodily systems and it should come as no surprise if sometimes things malfunction.

          Even the holiest, most abstemious, blissfully forgiving and compassionate and joyful saints fall ill and die of something, since canonization cannot begin until the person is dead.

          Just my 2 cents worth, but I would be interested to hear the opinions of others.

          Kind regards,

          Aurelia
        • gibsondeis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
            Hi, Aurelia. Thanks so much for your response. I totally agree with your thoughts about health/illness, etc. (BTW, my boss' father is suffering from lung cancer and kidney failure and he never smoked cigarettes or drank alcohol in his whole life.) And, yes, I know my rosacea would improve if I would just lead a "healthier" lifestyle but I doubt that I'd be "cured" completely. I had a feeling Georgie's book didn't provide anything "new" wrt treating rosacea. But you never know for sure! I'll check the local library and see if they have it. Good idea to check Amazon.com - I had forgotten about that source for info. on books. Well, it's a new year and I am hoping to recommit to improving my somewhat treatment-resistent rosacea, hence my interest in looking at alternative solutions. I've also got to research and consider whether to try laser treaments this year (which is another topic altogether). Thanks, as always, for your thoughts. warmly, Beth

            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Aurelia <aurelia.dawn@...> wrote:

            > Hi Beth,
            >
            > Since no one has tackled your question "What has she discovered regarding the treatment of rosacea?", I'll offer a few suggestions to tide you over until we hear from someone who has bought the book or got it from a library.
            >
            > It appears to be a self-improvement manual for spiritual, emotional and bodily healing, taking what is now a common holistic approach: exercise; eat lots of alkaline vegetables; avoid junk food, alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes; avoid stressful situations and negative thoughts, both of which she considers "acid forming".
            >
            > Since Amazon stocks the book, you can consult the table of contents, first pages and index here:
            > http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Full-Holistic-Remedies-Georgie-Holbrook/dp/096687420X#reader_096687420X
            >
            > The index is particularly helpful in showing that there is unlikely to be anything similar to the kind of rosacea treatment advice dispensed by medical doctors. Georgie opposes medical intervention and is committed to "healing solutions which are non-related to vitamins, herbs or medications". She strongly believes that illnesses can be healed "by addressing the emotional and physical areas of one's life", which suggests that she sides with the people who attribute rosacea (plus cancer and almost every other bodily ill) to negative emotions, traumatic experiences earlier in life, etc.
            >
            > My personal take on this is that although there is no doubt that stress and depression can inflict awful damage on the body, and some people might suffer from bodily problems triggered by their subconscious mind (eg hysterical paralysis) or even from conditions like BDD, anorexia or Munchausen Syndrome, to name just a few, there is no reason to assume that everyone who is ill got that way through wrong thinking. Is that liberating patients or victimising them?
            >
            > Plenty of people who today are fighting awful illnesses were happy and well-balanced prior to falling ill, and anxiety only set in after they developed rosacea ... after setting off too many trigger factors and then only if they have the genetic predisposition for rosacea. Without the genes, no rosacea.
            >
            > I don't doubt that this book will be wonderfully helpful and inspiring for some people. Who couldn't benefit from leading calmer, happier, more spiritual lives? Yet I doubt that the techniques described will heal everything that ails us. As well as being spiritual and emotional beings, we are also incredibly complex bodily systems and it should come as no surprise if sometimes things malfunction.
            >
            > Even the holiest, most abstemious, blissfully forgiving and compassionate and joyful saints fall ill and die of something, since canonization cannot begin until the person is dead.
            >
            > Just my 2 cents worth, but I would be interested to hear the opinions of others.
            >
            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Aurelia

          • Aurelia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi Beth,

              > BTW, my boss' father is suffering from lung cancer and kidney failure and he never smoked cigarettes or drank alcohol in his whole life. <

              Poor man! Booze and tobacco (including passive smoking) massively increase the risk of developing such horrible diseases, but there are other possible causes. For example, in many countries the second highest cause of lung cancer is radon, a radioactive gas that forms naturally as uranium decays in ordinary rocks and soil. Normally the particles disperse into the air, but they can accumulate in buildings built on granite rock, for example. Even so, most cancer deaths that are radon-related occur among smokers.

              A healthy lifestyle is the obvious sensible choice to boost our chances of good health and long life - and passing it on to the next generation - but we cannot eliminate the element of chance, can we?

              Kind regards, and best of luck for the future,

              Aurelia
            • J JOSEPH & ELOISE SEEGARS
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
                Aurelia, You tickle me so! Your statement about the saints, health, and
                canonization is hilarious! I don't know if you meant it to be funny, but it had
                me doubled over. You are quite the wit, which only can come from one who is
                highly intelligent with a wonderful sense of humor. I'm sure that you have been
                told this before, but I just wanted to tell you again. Warm regards, Eloise ( I
                appreciate so much ALL your helpful, common-sense advice, as well.)