Psoriasis and Acne

  • arkowalsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi everyone! I have a slightly off topic question. My husband has psoriasis on his scalp and face. He uses a variety of steroids to control it but they have caused him to develop blackheads and acne. His derm told him just to use an over the counter acne system but it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot. Has anyone here ever had a similar problem? He is 37 and his face looks like a teenager's!
    • Woody
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
        You might want to try the acne cream on the www.purpleemu.com website. I
        use their rosacea cream but they have a stronger one for acne and the emu
        oil works well on blackheads. I use the oil as a cleanser frequently and it
        took care of my blackheads for me and I think one of their ads said it
        worked for psoriasis too? Maybe the oil would work so he can come off
        steroids. I've read about steroid induced rosacea so I avoid steroids like
        the plague.

        Woody

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2010
          Alexis asked:

          "Hi everyone! I have a slightly off topic question. My husband has psoriasis on his scalp and face. He uses a variety of steroids to control it but they have caused him to develop blackheads and acne. His derm told him just to use an over the counter acne system but it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot. Has anyone here ever had a similar problem? He is 37 and his face looks like a teenager's!"

          Hi Alexis,

          As you will surely know, steroids are potentially dangerous drugs, best avoided unless really needed. Having said that, with really awful conditions like psoriasis and the worst types of eczema, patients often do need steroids and sometimes do pretty well on them. The key is having a good dermatologist, who is aware of the potential risks and takes every care to limit them where possible.

          Having said that, I am surprised that your husband's derm thinks OTC acne preparations would be okay for your husband's steroid-induced blackheads and acne, given how fragile psoriatic skin can be.

          Rosacea plus acne is a tricky combination. Some people with the pustular subtype, which resembles acne, may also happen to have true acne present elsewhere on the face, and a smaller percentage may even have true acne present in the same skin as the rosacea. When that is the case, the usual advice is to avoid OTC acne preparations and use only meds designed to take account of the need to be gentle with rosacea skin.

          Given how much worse psoriasis can be, I would have thought it would be all the more important for someone in your husband's circumstances to use only meds designed to fight acne-type conditions on fragile skin, as with rosacea. Examples include topicals based on azelaic acid (derived from grains) such as Azalex or Finacea, or else topicals based on Sulfur / Sodium Sulfacetamide. (Even then, not everyone can cope with them.) Have you taken a look at the relevant sections of our Resource Pages?:

          http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Azelaic_Acid_Topicals
          http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Finacea
          http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sulfur_/_Sodium_Sulfacetamide_Topicals

          Our best wishes to you and your husband!

          Kind regards,

          Aurelia
        • Todd Davidson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2010
            Hi Alexis.
            I would recommend for him:
            AM: gentle non soap cleanser (cerave or cetaphil)
            Finacea gel (entire face)
            Sunscreen
            PM: cleanser
            Duac gel (rx)
            Just my 2 cents, as I know alot of adult acne patients who sware by this regimen.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Alexis asked:

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
              Thanks for all of the suggestions. His psoriasis is unfortunately very persistent especially on his scalp. The steroids he uses are pretty mild and he is definitely aware of the side effects of using them too often. I had though of the Finacea too since it works so well for me. The pimples that really concern me though are the cystic acne that he gets on the side of his face. They are extremely deep and painful and often cause scarring. I had thought that maybe a course of retin-a might help, but it hasn't been brought up by his derm.
              Alexis