Vitamins Questions - Also Rosadyn Question

  • newso1ja
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      Can someone reccomend a list of over the counter vitamins or supplements that can improve the quality of skin? Most notably redness? Stuff that I could easily buy at GNC or something??

      Thanks all, everyone on this group has been very helpful
    • Aurelia
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi newso1ja,

        As you surely know, many OTC vitamins and supplements claim to improve skin quality but don't always have the science to prove it. Not so many claim to reduce redness because oral products strong enough to make much impact on something like redness would probably need to be prescription-strength, thus would more likely be classed as drugs rather than as supplements you can pick up off the shelf.

        So far, published claims for Rosadyn are regarded as so dubious, we would rather not host posts about it. Most rosacea self-help boards take the same view.

        Supplements that have been strongly recommended by many members include:

        Pycnogenol - great for strengthening weak blood vessels.
        http://www.drugs.com/npp/pycnogenol.html

        GliSODin - a very powerful antioxidant combination.
        http://www.rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=GliSODin

        Vitamin D3 - the role of vitamin D in rosacea is the subject of major research at the moment, but it is absolutely essential for good health generally.
        http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Vitamin_D3

        L-Lysine - an amino acid essential for building protein, but be wary of the ebooks claiming that it will fix rosacea or acne "in three days!!!", etc.
        http://www.drugs.com/npc/lysine.html

        Probiotics - to rebuild healthy bacteria in the gut.

        Kind regards,

        Aurelia

        (writing as a moderator)
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
          I think the two best supplements that help my rosacea are:

          1) Evening primrose oil
          2) Peppermint Oil
        • Lynne Kingsley
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
            Hi all;

            L Lysine is recommended by my cat's vet(Cornell trained) to prevent herpes eye infections, especially during periods of stress and/or other injuries/illness. So far no reoccurence of ocular infections.
            The only supplement my Derm has suggested is Vit A; I tried 25K mg for 6 months, no change in inflammation.
            Be vigilant out there. Lots of ways to spend money!{ expensive urine, too.)

            Lynne
          • carolyn giannitti
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
              hi
              look for something containing hesperidin, it is good for capillaries
            • Jeanette Baldwin
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                I tried hydrocotrzone cream +10 moisturers...bought it at krogers... it worked wonders in 2 hours... it did not take it away but it sure calmed it down... no dryness, redness is gone and very few bumbs...I would say it is about 95% better. IN JUST ONE DAY!!!!!

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Be careful with the Hydrocortisone cream, heard that it works well but then
                  it turns on you in a bad way.

                  In a message dated 4/5/2010 7:00:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  jeanettebldwn@... writes:

                  I tried hydrocotrzone cream +10 moisturers..I tried hydrocotrzone cream +10
                  moisturers..<WBR>.bought it at krogers... it worked wonders in 2 hours...
                  it did not take it away but it sure calmed it down... no dryness, redness
                  is gone and very few bumbs...I would say it

                  I think the two best supplements that help my rosacea are:

                  1) Evening primrose oil
                  2) Peppermint Oil

                • Karen Woller
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
                    Ok thanks I think I have heard that..... just so happy for a quick fix!