New here! An introduction

  • tanya.janepatmore@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi!
      I've just found this group and hope to join you all well.
      I am 60 and was diagnosed with rosacea about 25 years ago. At that time I was struggling with odd flushing,which also included swelling. And also flushing to the point of looking purple! But it all calmed down. I think I also, to some extent, have got used to the odd pustules and bits of redness, so I don't notice so much any more.

      But a couple of weeks ago I got bad eye inflammation, for the second time in 3-5 years. Saw the optician (couldn't get an early GP appt) who diagnosed episcleritis, though he thought it was possible it was scleritis, he wasn't totally sure. He also diagnosed blepharitis with blocked oil glands. When I read up about it I quickly came across ocular rosacea......and in truth, many of the eye symptoms described are those that I have experienced, but thought were due to allergic conjunctivitis, which I get from out cats occasionally. I have an appt with my GP in a few days, hoping she will take me seriously (she normally does) and help me sort all this out. And now I do take my rosacea much more seriously again! Just started using a Weleda product as a cleanser and so far it seems to be doing the trick.

      Tanya
    • Aurelia
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi Tanya and welcome to the RSG! :)

        Sorry to hear that you've had rosacea for 25 years or more. When rosaceans are confronted with flushing, swelling and redness - even to the point of purpleness, as you sometimes had - they often fall into despair, so it's good to hear that your skin did calm down.

        Any suggestions or advice you can offer to others still going through that?

        We are indeed more inclined to accept our defects as we age so "the odd pustules and bits of redness" are less upsetting. It is good to be more laid-back about such things, as long as we maintain treatments to prevent progression, especially towards ocular rosacea.

        Have you read through our Resource Pages sections on ocular rosacea? Even if it turns out that you don't have this sub-type, there might still be some helpful tips tucked in there.

        http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ocular_Rosacea:_Dr._Eric_Jones%2C_MD
        http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ocular_Rosacea:_Dr._Mark_J._Mannis%2C_MD

        Kind regards, and best of luck with the GP's visit.

        Aurelia
      • tanya.janepatmore@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          Thank you for your kind welcome, Aurelia!

          Re managing rosacea, I rarely see a mention of 'cold' anything on rosacea, most people mention heat. While I wouldn't say heat is good for me either (and I don't tend to drink very hot drinks as I don't like them that way), my main one is COLD, in particular cold winds. But also getting really frozen then coming into a normally warm room - that's the time I can feel that my face is exploding, burning off altogether. From that I assume that cold drinks arent't good either. I don't like ice in drinks anyway and tend to like my drinks luke warm, but generally people and retails tend to assume you want it all cold. Just today I have decided to be more explicit when eating out, asking for drinks that have NOT been kept in th fridge etc.

          So I spend time thinking how I can manage to keep my face warm when it is cold. Eg being careful to use hats, use hoods and big scarves, avoiding getting cold if possible.

          The other one for me is never to use soap. I can feel my face crawling at the very thought of it. But I also found earlier on that any too greasy cream wasn't good - need moisturizer, but not too greasy. Just now I have started to use Weleda products (UK company that makes and sells homoeopathically based products, so all plant based and gentle).

          As for spicy food and alcohol - well I like both! Must check it out and become more attentive to any reactions!

          If I re-discover anything special I will post.

          Tanya

          --

          > http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ocular_Rosacea:_Dr._Eric_Jones%2C_MD
          > http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ocular_Rosacea:_Dr._Mark_J._Mannis%2C_MD
          >
          > Kind regards, and best of luck with the GP's visit.
          >
          > Aurelia

        • Elizabeth Govreau
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
            Hi,
            I love spicy food and alcohol. My mother notice my skin was very flushed after I had a couple beers. I was reading that one glass of alcohol is healthy for women. I have a lot of stress in my life right now and It seems to help. Now I am worried about the redness. I guess I'll have tea instead.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2009
              Hi Tanya,

              Thanks for sharing your hints. Much appreciated.

              You are right that cold as a trigger is mentioned on the boards far less often than heat, yet cold - especially cold weather - is a major trigger for many.

              In this NRS (National Rosacea Society) page listing trigger factors most commonly mentioned in a survey of more than a thousand rosacean patients, cold weather scored 46%.
              http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggersgraph.php

              Colin Dahl, a researcher working for a scientific firm named Australian Sciences, released last year a (free) e-booklet on his experience of how temperatures can affect rosacea. Very many people have written to the boards praising it as one of the most helpful things they have ever read, so I wonder if you might find it worth reading?

              http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=431

              A lot of derms discourage the use of soap, even non-fat types. (Non-fat soaps, not non-fat derms. ;) Good luck with the Weleda products. Please let us know how you get on with them.

              > If I re-discover anything special I will post. <

              Please do!

              Kind regards,

              Aurelia