laser treatment

  • dvelezfl
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2009
      I had been diagnosed with rosacea and another type of adult acne by my dermatologist in March. I have had bad break outs on my face but my nose is always the worst. It is always red and bumpy. He prescribed solodyn, benzo-clin, metrogel and a sulfur based cleanser. I recently had a follow up visit and although he was happy with the improvement to my cheeks, chin, and forehead, he noticed my nose had not gotten that much better as it was stil red and still had bumps. He prescribed a higher dose of solodyn (115 mg instead of the current 90 mg) and kept the rest the same. He also mentioned if when I go back in December, its not better then he wanted to do laser surgery. Now heres my question:

      He didn't specify exactly what type of procedure or what kind of laser but he said it would help if the solodyn did not improve the redness and bumps. The only other thing he mentioned was that it would look worse for a "couple of weeks" because f the bruising. Has anyone done this type of surgery and how long did it take to recover? Remember, its just on my nose because of the redness and overall breakouts and bumps that occur on the nose. The rest of my face is actually improving quite well. Thanks in advance for any info

      Dan Velez
    • Aurelia.Dawn
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2009
        Hi Dan Velez,

        It is quite common for people to have acne in addition to rosacea, but it's a tricky combination because, as your dermatologist might have told you, the main anti-acne treatments are commonly far too harsh for rosacea skin.

        Yes, noses are often the worst place for bad break-outs like the ones you describe, but Solodyn, Benzoclin, Metrogel and a sulfur-based cleanser is a pretty good regime. It sounds like your derm knows his business. :)

        It would be difficult for any of us to answer your questions about the laser treatment he might perform because there are many different types of laser and IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology and each is a bit different. Could you ask his staff what type of machine he has, or check on his web site?

        > The only other thing he mentioned was that it would look worse for a "couple of weeks" because f the bruising. <

        Perhaps he means V-Beam, which can be strong enough to cause dark bruises (operating at "purpuric" levels) or no bruises ("non-purpuric" levels)?

        > Has anyone done this type of surgery and how long did it take to recover? Remember, its just on my nose because of the redness and overall breakouts and bumps that occur on the nose. <

        Many thousands of people have had such treatments, but recovery times vary depending on the type of technology, the model of machine, the length and duration of sessions, and the skill of the operator. Sorry not to be more helpful, but you really need more details.

        > The rest of my face is actually improving quite well. <

        Excellent!

        Kind regards, and best of luck,

        Aurelia
      • Russie Smith
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 6, 2009
          Hi,

          I just went to yet another new derm today and she recommended Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone tried it and what are your thoughts?

          Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very expensive.

          My derm recommended this as my skin regimine:
          1- Cleanse
          2- Elidel (I am not sure about this one. Does anybody have any info)
          3- Pyratine XR
          4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit) Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.

          Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

          Russie
        • backcountryhiker76
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 7, 2009
            I haven't heard of the topicals you mentioned, so I can't comment on that.

            With regard to Cerave, I've heard good things about it and use it from time to time. Still, if it's making your face burn, I would try something else (Cetaphil, Purpose and Free & Clear would be three other options that come to mind).

            Chris

            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Russie Smith <russiesmith@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I just went to yet another new derm today and she recommended Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone tried it and what are your thoughts?
            >
            > Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very expensive.
            >
            > My derm recommended this as my skin regimine:
            > 1- Cleanse
            > 2- Elidel (I am not sure about this one. Does anybody have any info)
            > 3- Pyratine XR
            > 4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit) Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.
            >
            > Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
            >
            > Russie

          • Aurelia.Dawn
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 8, 2009
              Hi Russie,

              Sorry but I have no personal experience of these topicals. However, since you have said that "ANY thoughts would be most appreciated", I will put on my "mod hat" and offer a few snippets from older posts. Apologies if they aren't quite what you wanted. :)

              PYRATINE XR

              You are right to be sceptical of wildly over-priced rosacea treatments, but at least you got a free sample, even if only very small. I might be wrong but don't think RSG has had anything yet about the XR, but if you visit the 'Topical Treatments' section of our direct-posting board, the Rosacea Support Community, in the sub-section for 'Non Prescription Topicals' you will find several threads relating experiences with Pyratine XR including these:

              "Pyratine XR--I'm going to be the guinea pig for everyone."
              http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1480

              "Pyratine XR - where can you buy it then ?"
              http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1649

              "Pyratine XR is great for me!"
              http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1500

              There are some very happy users, and it appears that you can manage with just tiny dabs.

              NEOCUTIS

              > Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very expensive. <

              Hmm, I wonder if this is the super-expensive cream Neocutis put out in 2005 or 2006 that was ridiculously over-hyped by a promoter, then was widely rubbished as not much use?

              ELIDEL

              Another extremely expensive topical. :( Were you expected to buy these through the derms or shop around and get them elsewhere?

              If you run a site search here, you'll find nearly 900 posts mentioning Elidel. Basically, it is one of two creams mainly used to treat eczema but that doctors thought might be helpful in treating steroid-induced rosacea. The two are Elidel (pimecrolimus) and Protopic (tacrolimus).

              Some rosaceans found one or the other helpful, some did not. However, I think most ran for the hills in 2005/06 when the FDA "black-boxed" Elidel and Protopic as potentially risking cancer (eg skin cancer and lymphoma). The FDA thought they could still be used for short periods, but not long-term, and really only if safer eczema medications weren't working.

              http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/news/20060119/two-eczema-drugs-get-black-box-warning

              Then there was a study suggesting that Elidel was no more effective against the papules and pustules of rosacea than the cream the pimecrolimus was mixed in:

              http://rosacea-support.org/elidel-vs-protopic-does-it-work-for.html

              After that, I think there were some studies published showing that Elidel and Protopic could both WORSEN rosacea.

              Any idea why your derm thought it would be a good idea for you to use it?

              CERAVE

              > 4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit) Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it. <

              Here's a link that explains about ceramides (found by my dear fellow-mod Lisa):

              http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Ceramide-Barrier-Repair_345.html

              "Skin protects your body from extreme hot and cold, and helps control body temperature. By sweating, skin also rids your body of wastes and toxins. As your outside barrier, skin keeps your body safe from physical damage and blocks out bacteria and viruses.

              Fatty substances, called lipids, give the skin the ability to perform these many functions. Cholesterol and fatty acids are two such lipids. The outer most layer of your skin contains a third lipid, called ceramide. Ceramide helps form skin's protective barrier, called the "ceramide" barrier. The barrier helps maintain overall skin health. All of these lipids also help keep your skin moist and smooth.

              Damage to lipids and the ceramide barrier affects your skin cells ability to function normally. Your skin can become irritated and sensitive. A weakened barrier puts you at greater risk of infection and other skin diseases. You may also notice that your skin gets dryer. The dryness can increase the appearance of fine lines and make wrinkles appear larger and deeper. (...)"

              There are lots of posts about Cerave products, which are supposed to be surprisingly inexpensive for such a high-quality, gentle range. However, some have said that the cream blocks their pores and is best on dry rather than oily skin. However, if it feels like it burns your skin, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

              Kind regards, and hoping that this is of some help,

              Aurelia
            • Russie Smith
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 8, 2009
                Thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate you taking the time to
                put it all together for me. :-)

                About the Elidel: My derm says she has Rosacea, even though there was
                no evidence of it. Her face looked completely normal and I was flushing
                like mad (very warm, small room, door closed always causes a huge flush
                for me!!). Doctors offices are the worst! She says she uses Elidel
                twice daily and it is safe. Of course, I am skeptical because of the
                price, but mainly the cancer warnings. I have dry skin which is why she
                said Elidel might help. You are right these are really expensive
                treatment options, well not the Cerave.

                I think the derm thought my Rosacea is worse than it actually is because
                I had such a major flush. Usually my face looks fairly normal, if a bit
                pink, until I have a bad flush.

                Completely off topic, but does Artist still post here? I had a question
                about makeup, but I haven't seen her post in a long time.

                Thanks again!

                Aurelia.Dawn wrote:

> [...]
                > "ceramide" barrier. The barrier helps maintain overall skin health.
                > All of these lipids also help keep your skin moist and smooth.
                >
                > Damage to lipids and the ceramide barrier affects your skin cells
                > ability to function normally. Your skin can become irritated and
                > sensitive. A weakened barrier puts you at greater risk of infection
                > and other skin diseases. You may also notice that your skin gets
                > dryer. The dryness can increase the appearance of fine lines and make
                > wrinkles appear larger and deeper. (...)"
                >
                > There are lots of posts about Cerave products, which are supposed to
                > be surprisingly inexpensive for such a high-quality, gentle range.
                > However, some have said that the cream blocks their pores and is best
                > on dry rather than oily skin. However, if it feels like it burns your
                > skin, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.
                >
                > Kind regards, and hoping that this is of some help,

              • Aurelia.Dawn
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Hi Russie,

                  > She says she uses Elidel twice daily and it is safe. Of course, I am skeptical because of the price, but mainly the cancer warnings. <

                  I wonder if your derm has seen more recent research? Perhaps she just figures that it's a low risk, given other possible carcinogens? After all, some doctors still smoke.

                  > Completely off topic, but does Artist still post here? I had a question about makeup, but I haven't seen her post in a long time. <

                  Artist more often posts at our direct-posting board, the RS Community, but she hasn't abandoned this group. However, she is a working mother with a young son, combining looking after her loved family with a nursing role in a busy hospital. Add in summer vacations and it was sensible to take a bit of a break.

                  I will draw her attention to your message.

                  Kind regards,

                  Aurelia
                • nurse_artist
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 8, 2009
                    Hi Russie! I love chatting about makeup and topicals, since I have tried so many. Speaking of topicals, I recently tried a new derm and instantly knew he was very good with rosacea. However, based on my history, he told me he is almost certain I also have an allergy to glycerin. I was stunned and I didn't believe him. I'm slowly starting to think he could be right, though. I do have that itchy hive component. Maybe taking it out would improve things overall for me. Avoiding glycerin is hard, though, since it is included in most otc cleansers, moisturizers, and cosmetics. Interestingly, my beloved Vanicream does not contain glycerin.

                    I always considered glycerin to be inert, but he said it is possible (rare, but possible) to be allergic to it. He said he has a few patients with rosacea who have the same problem. Has anyone heard of glycerin sensitivity or allergy?

                    Talk about getting off topic! Russie, what was the question? Hope you are doing well!

                    Artist

                    > Completely off topic, but does Artist still post here? I had a question
                    > about makeup, but I haven't seen her post in a long time.
                    >
                    > Thanks again!

                  • Russie Smith
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 9, 2009
                      I know what you mean as I used to *love* makeup, until I got rosacea.
                      Now I have to get my makeup fixes with lipsticks. Thanks so much for
                      emailing me back.

                      I was just going to ask if you still like the Laura Mercier tinted
                      foundation and the concealer (don't remember which kind). I have been
                      having Vbeams so haven't bought it yet because I didn't want to try
                      something new.

                      Also, have you ever tried Elidel, Pyratine XR, Cerave, or Protopic? My
                      newest derm (I've had around 10) suggested I try these to help with my
                      dryness and redness.

                      Thanks so much. Take care!

                      nurse_artist wrote:

                      > Hi Russie! I love chatting about makeup and topicals, since I have
                      > tried so many. Speaking of topicals, I recently tried a new derm and
                      > instantly knew he was very good with rosacea. However, based on my
                      > history, he told me he is almost certain I also have an allergy to
                      > glycerin. I was stunned and I didn't believe him. I'm slowly starting
                      > to think he could be right, though. I do have that itchy hive
                      > component. Maybe taking it out would improve things overall for me.
                      > Avoiding glycerin is hard, though, since it is included in most otc
                      > cleansers, moisturizers, and cosmetics. Interestingly, my beloved
                      > Vanicream does not contain glycerin.
                      >
                      > I always considered glycerin to be inert, but he said it is possible
                      > (rare, but possible) to be allergic to it. He said he has a few
                      > patients with rosacea who have the same problem. Has anyone heard of
                      > glycerin sensitivity or allergy?
                      >
                      > Talk about getting off topic! Russie, what was the question? Hope you
                      > are doing well!
                      >
                      > Artist
                      >
                      > > Completely off topic, but does Artist still post here? I had a question
                      > > about makeup, but I haven't seen her post in a long time.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks again!

                    • nurse_artist
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 9, 2009
                        Russie asked "> Also, have you ever tried Elidel, Pyratine XR, Cerave, or Protopic?...

                        I have tried those. The Elidel seemed to work well at first, but I eventually stopped using it because of sudden deep red flushes with it. It seems like I read a lot of positive feedback on Pyratine and Cerave, so keep that in mind as you read on. The Pyratine was great for a while, then just seemed to aggravate things so I stopped using it. I tried the original...Pyratine-6 I think. The Cerave didn't irritate, but after a week or so it caused my whole face to break out. My derm really feels that I'm allergic to glycerin, which may be why I eventually reacted to the Pyratine and Cerave (and just about everything else I try).

                        If I could have continued any of these, I would have chosen the Cerave for dryness and the Pyratine xr for redness. In my opinion (I am not a doctor), those two make the most sense to me for dryness (Cerave) and redness (Pyratine). I really wished I could have used them. The Cerave really did moisturize all day amazingly well and my skin always needs it. And the pyratine really did tone down redness. I really hope you will do well with them if you try them.

                        Oh and also, yes, I still use the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer spf 20 after my Vanicream and finacea soak in. Then I very, very lightly apply a tiny amount of Lancome waterproof undereye concealer on any uneven areas with a small concealer brush. I cannot stress how small of an amount is needed on the uneven aread only.

                        I think dry skin is my number two trigger (too much sun is my first trigger). I say find a moisturizer and use a lot of it, often.

                        Hugs!

                        Artist

                        > I know what you mean as I used to *love* makeup, until I got rosacea.
                        > Now I have to get my makeup fixes with lipsticks. Thanks so much for
                        > emailing me back.
                        >
                        > I was just going to ask if you still like the Laura Mercier tinted
                        > foundation and the concealer (don't remember which kind). I have been
                        > having Vbeams so haven't bought it yet because I didn't want to try
                        > something new.
                        >
                        > Also, have you ever tried Elidel, Pyratine XR, Cerave, or Protopic? My
                        > newest derm (I've had around 10) suggested I try these to help with my
                        > dryness and redness.
                        >
                        > Thanks so much. Take care!

                      • nurse_artist
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 9, 2009
                          Did your derm talk about Finacea and Oracea? Perhaps they could be tried instead of the Elidel along with a lot of moisturizing? I use Finacea and it has just been wonderful for my rosacea. Oracea (low dose doxycycline) was shown to be just as effective as other antibiotics for rosacea, and it's a super low dose so much better for your system. It can be used long term since the dose is so low. Also, from what I read, it works faster, in one month or so, and doxycyline is taken up more effectively in the skin. Perhaps something to discuss with your derm. I hope your routine works, though, whatever you do. The list you made below (from your derm) looks like a lot of topicals to add at once. I would add them slowly if you do try them.

                          Artist
                          Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.

                          --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, Russie Smith <russiesmith@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I just went to yet another new derm today and she recommended Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone tried it and what are your thoughts?
                          >
                          > Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very expensive.
                          >
                          > My derm recommended this as my skin regimine:
                          > 1- Cleanse
                          > 2- Elidel (I am not sure about this one. Does anybody have any info)
                          > 3- Pyratine XR
                          > 4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit) Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
                          >
                          > Russie

                        • Russie Smith
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 9, 2009
                            Artist,

                            Thanks for the response. I have a RX for Finacea, but my derm said it
                            only helps with bumps (which I don't really get, knock on wood). She
                            also said Oracea (I have used 40mg doxy because it is $40 cheaper) would
                            only help if I have bumps. Do you find this to be the case? My skin
                            does get really inflamed when I flush, though. I get really bad
                            inflammation under my eyes (upper cheekbone area), but haven't been
                            diagnosed with ocular rosacea by either derms or eye docs.

                            My primary problem is flushing. I flush mainly with warm rooms, rooms
                            with little air circulation, stress, anger, exercise, hormones, seasonal
                            changes, and for no identifiable reason at all. I get bad flushes under
                            my eyes and on my cheeks primarily. Oh yeah, and I have really dry
                            skin. So much so that most nights I put Vaseline all over my cheeks,
                            which gives me some relief. Luckily my skin doesn't itch and looks
                            fairly normal when I am not flushing. Oddly, the other night at an open
                            house I was talking with several women and told them I had rosacea and
                            they didn't believe me. I told them if I took off my makeup or was
                            flushing they could tell. They said my skin looked like a baby's bottom
                            (I now know where to go when I need a self esteem boost--- he,he). Two
                            days earlier, my derm classified me as having severe rosacea because I
                            had a horrid flush when I saw her. Telling her that I don't always look
                            like this didn't seem to help. Just goes to show how truly bizarre this
                            disease can be.

                            While I have you here, do you know of a good eye makeup remover? I had
                            another question, but forgot it while writing my extensive rant and
                            rosacea history one paragraph up. Sorry about that--sometimes I get
                            going and can't stop myself. Ugh! Hope you don't mind my asking you
                            when I do remember?

                            Thanks so much.

                            Russie

                            nurse_artist wrote:

                            > Did your derm talk about Finacea and Oracea? Perhaps they could be
                            > tried instead of the Elidel along with a lot of moisturizing? I use
                            > Finacea and it has just been wonderful for my rosacea. Oracea (low
                            > dose doxycycline) was shown to be just as effective as other
                            > antibiotics for rosacea, and it's a super low dose so much better for
                            > your system. It can be used long term since the dose is so low. Also,
                            > from what I read, it works faster, in one month or so, and doxycyline
                            > is taken up more effectively in the skin. Perhaps something to discuss
                            > with your derm. I hope your routine works, though, whatever you do.
                            > The list you made below (from your derm) looks like a lot of topicals
                            > to add at once. I would add them slowly if you do try them.
                            >
                            > Artist
                            > Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
                            >
                            > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, Russie Smith
                            > <russiesmith@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > I just went to yet another new derm today and she recommended
                            > Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at
                            > $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone
                            > tried it and what are your thoughts?
                            > >
                            > > Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very
                            > expensive.
                            > >
                            > > My derm recommended this as my skin regimine:
                            > > 1- Cleanse
                            > > 2- Elidel (I am not sure about this one. Does anybody have any info)
                            > > 3- Pyratine XR
                            > > 4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit)
                            > Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.
                            > >
                            > > Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
                            > >
                            > > Russie

                          • Aurelia.Dawn
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 9, 2009
                              Hi Russie,

                              > They said my skin looked like a baby's bottom <

                              But not one with diaper rash. ;)

                              > I now know where to go when I need a self esteem boost--- he,he. <

                              Excellent! We should all be so lucky. :D

                              Kind regards,

                              Aurelia
                            • Russie Smith
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                Well, the room was dimly lit---I was joking about the self esteem
                                boost. It is one of the few times in four years anyone has said my skin
                                looked good, so it may me feel good, if only for a brief second.

                                Aurelia.Dawn wrote:

                                > Hi Russie,
                                >
                                > > They said my skin looked like a baby's bottom <
                                >
                                > But not one with diaper rash. ;)
                                >
                                > > I now know where to go when I need a self esteem boost--- he,he. <
                                >
                                > Excellent! We should all be so lucky. :D
                                >
                                > Kind regards,
                                >
                                > Aurelia

                              • Aurelia.Dawn
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                  Dear Russie,

                                  > Well, the room was dimly lit---I was joking about the self esteem boost. It is one of the few times in four years anyone has said my skin looked good, so it may me feel good, if only for a brief second. <

                                  I'm sorry to hear that. I really was pleased to think that you had felt so cheered and encouraged by the comment. Referring to the original comment, not my feeble joke. :(

                                  However, even a momentary boost is something, and even a compliment for skin looking good in poor lighting can be progress, a foretaste of much better days to come. May they be soon!

                                  Kind regards,

                                  Aurelia
                                • nurse_artist
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                    Russie: I do not mind at all! Please post lots, share lots, and ask lots of questions. That's what we are here for :)

                                    So nice to know you don't have breakouts, but it sounds like inflammation is involved in the blushing and flushing you described. I can keep flushing and blushing under control pretty easily, but I instantly start flushing if my skin is even a little bit dry.

                                    I absolutely must moisturize my skin well with a real moisturizer, not just oil or vaseline. I need a good creamy moisturizer, applied at least twice per day. Vanicream moisturizing skin cream (the one in the round tub) works best for me. I get it at Walgreens. I would use Cerave if I could since it moisturizes for longer.

                                    Does Elidel work on flushing? I thought Elidel was for breakouts, but perhaps I am wrong about that. This is interesting. Maybe it does help flushing and blushing?

                                    The methods I know of to help reduce flushing and blushing are one or a combination of some of these:

                                    -Treating the rosacea overall. My personal opinion is that taking low dose Doxycycline would help the inflammation, which might really calm the redness down when it happens, but I am not a derm.
                                    -IPL (Intense pulsed light, like Photoderm or Lumenis One)
                                    -Red Light Therapy
                                    -Saw Palmetto, one per day (Be very certain to ask doctor and pharmacist first)
                                    -One 81mg aspirin per day (Be very, very certain to ask doc and pharmacist first)
                                    -For blushing from social situations, stress, embarassment: Small dose of Atenolol or other beta blocker daily. Or, learn meditation to control this sympathetic nervous system response.
                                    -Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
                                    -Gentle skin care
                                    -Daily sunscreen

                                    If any appeal to you, you might want to talk to the derm again about working some of them in.

                                    I do firmly believe that it is best to work as a partner with the dermatologist to use trial and error in finding the best outcome for you. Your derm sees hundreds of patients a year, and that is very much to your advantage. If I feel my derm has a lot of experience and seems to know rosacea pretty well, I know it may just take a while to get to the right combination. There is only one way to get there, though, and that is to go through the options methodically.

                                    So, if your derm is experienced and really seems certain that combo will help you, and she actually saw your face in a deep flush, you might consider taking the plunge and giving it a go for a year with her at least, until she finds the right combo for you :)

                                    Artist
                                    Not medical advice. Ask your dermatologist first.

                                  • Russie Smith
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                      Not a problem. It is nice to hear a compliment on my face because most
                                      of the time I get asked "why is your sunburned", or "you are too young
                                      for hormones" or "are you hot".

                                      Your joke was funny. That actually ran through my mind when they said
                                      it :-)

                                      Aurelia.Dawn wrote:

                                      > Dear Russie,
                                      >
                                      > > Well, the room was dimly lit---I was joking about the self esteem
                                      > boost. It is one of the few times in four years anyone has said my
                                      > skin looked good, so it may me feel good, if only for a brief second. <
                                      >
                                      > I'm sorry to hear that. I really was pleased to think that you had
                                      > felt so cheered and encouraged by the comment. Referring to the
                                      > original comment, not my feeble joke. :(
                                      >
                                      > However, even a momentary boost is something, and even a compliment
                                      > for skin looking good in poor lighting can be progress, a foretaste of
                                      > much better days to come. May they be soon!
                                      >
                                      > Kind regards,
                                      >
                                      > Aurelia

                                    • Russie Smith
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                        Thanks for the response. Yes, flushing is definitely my major problem.
                                        You are so lucky to be able to control it! I use Clonidine which has
                                        helped me more than anything else. Zyrtec has helped with food
                                        flushes. LaRoche Posay dermo cleaner is the best for cleaning my
                                        face---never irritates it. I may try a beta blocker for stress, thanks
                                        for the suggestion. The derm wants me to use Elidel for dryness--she
                                        didn't say anything about it helping with flushing.

                                        I am getting Vbeams right now. Is IPL suppose to help with flushing
                                        more than Vbeams?

                                        Thanks again!

                                        nurse_artist wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > > from what I read, it works faster, in one month or so, and doxycyline
                                        > > > is taken up more effectively in the skin. Perhaps something to
                                        > discuss
                                        > > > with your derm. I hope your routine works, though, whatever you do.
                                        > > > The list you made below (from your derm) looks like a lot of topicals
                                        > > > to add at once. I would add them slowly if you do try them.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Artist
                                        > > > Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
                                        > <mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > > > <mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, Russie Smith

                                        > > > Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at
                                        > > > $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone
                                        > > > tried it and what are your thoughts?

                                        > > > expensive.

                                        > > > Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.

                                      • Aurelia.Dawn
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 10, 2009
                                          Hi Russie,

                                          > Your joke was funny. That actually ran through my mind when they said it :-) <

                                          Thanks for being so sweet.

                                          This discussion reminds me of a very English phrase, where someone red-faced or with a sour expression is (unfairly) described as having "a face like a slapped bum". :o

                                          That is only understandable if you know that in Britain, bums are bottoms or rear-ends, not vagrants. ;)

                                          Kind regards,

                                          Aurelia
                                        • nurse_artist
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 11, 2009
                                            My pleasure! You asked about an eye makeup remover.. I recently tried Albolene cleanser (from Walgreens). It is mineral oil/petrolatum based. it really does remove stubborn makeup. It's very inert, only a few ingredients, and doesn't irritate my skin at all.

                                            One note is that I probably wouldn't combine clonodine with Atenolol since it might really lower blood pressure too much..

                                            Cheers!

                                          • lisamouries
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 12, 2009
                                              > This discussion reminds me of a very English phrase, where someone red-faced or with a sour expression is (unfairly) described as having "a face like a slapped bum". :o <

                                              > That is only understandable if you know that in Britain, bums are bottoms or rear-ends, not vagrants. ;) <

                                              Excellent! Love these type of expressions.

                                              In France, if someone is really 'full of themselves' we say "He's farting higher than his bum". I leave you to imagine why. I also like the one you apply to someone being naive about a situation which is: "Do you believe in the farting fly or something? Worth saying to someone who tries to sell you the miracle rosacea CURE, hey!

                                              Note how that brings it back on topic. ;)

                                              Kind regards.
                                              Lisa M.
                                            • Todd Davidson
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 13, 2009
                                                The finacea is actually indicated for bumps and redness associated with the bumps.
                                                Metrogel is indicated for the bumps only.

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                nurse_artist wrote:

                                                > Did your derm talk about Finacea and Oracea? Perhaps they could be
                                                > tried instead of the Elidel along with a lot of moisturizing? I use
                                                > Finacea and it has just been wonderful for my rosacea. Oracea (low
                                                > dose doxycycline) was shown to be just as effective as other
                                                > antibiotics for rosacea, and it's a super low dose so much better for
                                                > your system. It can be used long term since the dose is so low. Also,
                                                > from what I read, it works faster, in one month or so, and doxycyline
                                                > is taken up more effectively in the skin. Perhaps something to discuss
                                                > with your derm. I hope your routine works, though, whatever you do.
                                                > The list you made below (from your derm) looks like a lot of topicals
                                                > to add at once. I would add them slowly if you do try them.
                                                >
                                                > Artist
                                                > Not medical advice. Ask your doctor first.
                                                >
                                                > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
                                                > <mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, Russie Smith
                                                > <russiesmith@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi,
                                                > >
                                                > > I just went to yet another new derm today and she recommended
                                                > Pyratine XR for me. I am skeptical because it is very expensive at
                                                > $150 per tube, though she gave me a very small sample. Has anyone
                                                > tried it and what are your thoughts?
                                                > >
                                                > > Another derm recommended a product by Neocutis, which is also very
                                                > expensive.
                                                > >
                                                > > My derm recommended this as my skin regimine:
                                                > > 1- Cleanse
                                                > > 2- Elidel (I am not sure about this one. Does anybody have any info)
                                                > > 3- Pyratine XR
                                                > > 4- Cerave (which I used before and it burned my face a bit)
                                                > Apparently she likes the ceramicides (sp?) in it.
                                                > >
                                                > > Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.
                                                > >
                                                > > Russie

                                                ; font-weight: bold; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } --> html>