Re: Digestive enzymes

  • lisamouries
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
      On this issue, has your Doctor checked if your child had a hatial hernia? This can cause bad acid reflux.
      Kind regards.
      Lisa M.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia#Other_types_of_hernia

      --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID LEE DURHAM" <DDavleedurham@...> wrote:

      Just wanted to throw my .2 cents worth in here. Somehow I am bothered by the fact that a six year old would even need medication for acid reflux or enzymes. It's been said that as we age we product less acid to help in digestion, but I'm talking adults here. Why would a child not have enough acid to cope with digestion. I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate reason why but it just seems somewhat odd to me. I think I would want an explanation of why my child needed such medication, and if they didn't give a good one I'd find another doctor or look for a naturopath. I don't think supplements is the way to go with children. Their bodies should be making what it needs and if not then nutrition is often the culprit. We all want what is best for our kids but I'm not sure supplements is the answer for them. That's just my opinion.
      Lee

      From: ninemilesja@ ...
      Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:21:08 +0000
      Subject: [rosacea] Re: child with rosacea

      --- In rosacea-support@ yahoogroups. com, maria michelle60 <mariamichelle60@ > wrote:

      Hi
      I am sorry people are giving you such a time about your sons appearance. I was bald at that age, I have alopecia in addition to rosacea. I understand how you feel. sometimes watching what you eat helps, I don't consume any dairy products and generally stopped eating a lot of processed foods especially soda pop. rosacea, in my opinion pushes from the inside out so eating better did help me.

      Hi

      My son has the flushing too. He's 5 but he seems to have had it since he was about 1. He wasn't really conscious of it until recently.. Everyone else was, but bless him, he would run about absolutely red as a beetroot and it wouldn't bother him, but I knew in time it would!

      The thing that gets on my nerves is adults - teachers! when he started his preschool the teachers asked about it as if it was a great concern and oddity that they had never seen before in the history of the world and when he started his school almost immediately the headmaster brought it up as a concern. Oh, and when he went to a summer holiday club, they thought I hadn't put suncream on him and it was sunburn!!!!

      My poor son. I too have the same problem, but I was praying that my son wouldn't inherit it. I hope they discover a cure for it before he gets much older, that would be great but in the meantime, I would also be grateful for any advice that people have to help.

      thank you.

      To: rosacea-support@ yahoogroups. com
      From: lindahulteen@
      Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:40 +0000
      Subject: [rosacea] child with rosacea

      Hello,

      My son, who is almost 4,has rosacea. The doctors say no but my entire family has it and this is definitely it. He also has cerebral palsy. I have just the broken blood vessels and redness, but he seems to have that plus flushing. He is also a redhead.
      What can I do to prevent this from getting worse for him? When I took him to preschool the other kids asked "What's wrong with his face?" - not "why is he in a wheelchair" "why can't he talk" "why does he keep sticking his tongue out"...no, it was "what's wrong with his face?"!

      The flushing especially I don't know what to do about.

      Thanks
      Linda
      View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place â€" Learn more!
      http://clk.atdmt.<http://clk.atdmt./> com/UKM/go/ 137984870/ direct/01/
    • pindlelou
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hi Maria, I know exactly what you mean about the doctors not really knowing what to do. Believe it or not, they are like that with my son's cerebral palsy also. I'm talking about neurologists and neurosurgeons, plus a world-reknowned pediatric geneticist who specializes in brain issues. They pretty much say "we don't know" and apparently that's how it is for most kids with cerebral palsy, according to the moms I talk to online. Just like you, I get most of my info from moms online who have already gone through it or who are going through it presently.

        Most of the treatments and equipment we have recieved for my son have been a result of me asking the doctors for them, based on research I did on said treatment/equipment. I'm thinking, why am I the one coming up with all this? Aren't you supposed to be the expert?

        Anyway,
        Good luck and take care!

        Linda

> [...]
        > > >

        > > > thank you.
        > > >

        > > > To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
        > > > From: lindahulteen@
        > > > Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:40 +0000
        > > > Subject: [rosacea] child with rosacea
        > > >
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > My son, who is almost 4,has rosacea. The doctors say no but my entire family has it and this is definitely it. He also has cerebral palsy. I have just the broken blood vessels and redness, but he seems to have that plus flushing. He is also a redhead.
        > > >
        > > > What can I do to prevent this from getting worse for him? When I took him to preschool the other kids asked "What's wrong with his face?" - not "why is he in a wheelchair" "why can't he talk" "why does he keep sticking his tongue out"...no, it was "what's wrong with his face?"!
        > > >
        > > > The flushing especially I don't know what to do about.

      • pindlelou
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
          Hi Lee,

          I don't like giving my son medications and/or supplements for his acid reflux, but we have tried *everything*. He has severe cerebral palsy and so his body doesn't work right. Most of the cp children of moms I talk to have reflux. We have done extensive testing for food allergies, swallow studies, upper GI's, etc. He has severe sensitivities that cause his reflux, along with the fact that his esophageal sphincter (where your esophagus meets your stomach) doesn't work right due to the cerebral palsy. The sensitivities cause him to produce excess acid, and the esophageal sphincter doesn't close correctly and the contents of his stomach go back up his esophagus. We have changed his diet via the elimination diet, and everything was eliminated. So he can only eat this special formula (Elecare) that is already broken down into individual amino acids that I thank God for because without it he continuously spits up acid - pure acid. Same with the Prevacid - I have tried taking him off of it, but it is a disaster. He will literally spit up acid 5 to 10 times an hour. It's very painful for him and it was causing him to not want to interact with us or anyone and stifling any physical or occupational therapy we were trying to give him.

          The reflux has probably been the hardest thing to reckon with as far as all of his problems, even more so than the fact that he can't crawl, roll over, walk, talk, feed himself, or see correctly, because he can still be happy with all of those things, but with the reflux it zaps any happiness. So unfortunately we have to give him medication and limit his diet. He also might have to get surgery to tighten up his esophageal sphincter and/or be put on a feeding tube directly into his intestines. Currently we've been able to avoid those things thanks to the prevacid and the elecare (that he gets via medicine dropper because he can't use a sippy cup!).

          Anyway I didn't mean to go on and on! It's just so complicated and frustrating. And then he has this stupid rosacea on top of it all! I mean, come on! But you know, I should be thankful he's not medically fragile.

          Anyway, take care
          Linda

        • DAVID LEE DURHAM
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
            Hi Linda,

            No need to apologize for your post being long. Sometimes you just need to say things and feel better rather than keeping it cooped inside. I'm very sad for your little son and your troubles. This sounds like a situation that is constantly on your minds and in your heart. I certainly didn't mean to imply in my previous post that you were doing or not doing something correctly with your son and hence the acid reflux. I just didn't know your situation. But I've surely seen my share of parents feeding their children pop and candy all day long and wondering why they don't feel well. But your circumstances are different. It sounds like the Prevacid has indeed been a help to him and I can certainly see why you would use it. You want him to feel as good as he can. It's important to us parents that our children are as happy as they can be. We would do anything for that. Perhaps when he's older maybe the surgery for tightening might be the way to go, to eliminate the reflux. Have you ever considered acupuncture? You might consider it as I've used it for several things and always found it helpful, never painful. You could try it for the reflux as well as the Rosacea. I would bet that the Rosacea is a manifestation from the reflux somehow. In your case I definitely wouldn't be giving him enzymes since his balance seems so delicate. Unless you talk with your doctor about it. You don't know how he might react to them. It's one thing to take a chance on something with your own body, but your children that depend on you is another.

            Best of luck with everything. We are all thinking about you and sending good wishes!

            --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com<mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com>, "DAVID LEE DURHAM" <DDavleedurham@...> wrote:

            > Just wanted to throw my .2 cents worth in here. Somehow I am bothered by the fact that a six year old would even need medication for acid reflux or enzymes. It's been said that as we age we product less acid to help in digestion, but I'm talking adults here. Why would a child not have enough acid to cope with digestion. I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate reason why but it just seems somewhat odd to me. I think I would want an explanation of why my child needed such medication, and if they didn't give a good one I'd find another doctor or look for a naturopath. I don't think supplements is the way to go with children. Their bodies should be making what it needs and if not then nutrition is often the culprit. We all want what is best for our kids but I'm not sure supplements is the answer for them. That's just my opinion.
            > Lee

          • Aimee
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
              Agreed 100%

              ...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:40 +0000
              > > Subject: [rosacea] child with rosacea
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > My son, who is almost 4,has rosacea. The doctors say no but my
              entire family has it and this is definitely it. He also has cerebral palsy. I
              have just the broken blood vessels and redness, but he seems to have that plus
              flushing. He is also a redhead.

              > > What can I do to prevent this from getting worse for him? When I
              took him to preschool the other kids asked "What's wrong with his
              face?" - not "why is he in a wheelchair" "why can't he
              talk" "why does he keep sticking his tongue out"...no, it was
              "what's wrong with his face?"!

              > > The flushing especially I don't know what to do about.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Linda

              > View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place – Learn more!

            • diane Wickersheim
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 1, 2009
                I thank you for your info on digestive enzymes as I know
                this is NOT a forum about digestive issues. If it relates
                to rosacea than thats different. For those who feel the need
                to share their opinion regarding six olds and medicaton, they
                should walk a mile in my shoes before they throw around such
                statements.  Without some of my daughters medications, we would
                be continually hospitalized. As it is, we've done 18 hospitals stays
                in 6 years and had 3 surgeries.  Sometimes medication is necessary.

                Enough said.
                Diane

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Thanks Lee. Actually I have wondered about acupuncture for him. I think it would help him in many ways. I asked the acupuncturist I was going to about it, and she talked about putting them in his head (because of his brain disorder)...I'm trying to work up the nerve to see if he'll tolerate it or not! Sometimes he will bonk his head and not be bothered by it at all, then other times something barely pokes him and he freaks out!

                  Thanks for your ideas,
                  Linda

                • S A
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 3, 2009
                    Hi Maria

                    I know exactly what you mean. I too live in England and NHS doctors only comes up with antibiotics and steriods. They don't want to discuss their side-effects as when it comes, then only we need to deal with them.

                    I feel my daughter who is nearly 2 years old has it too as her cheeks are always red, again inherited from me as I was badly affected when pregnent with her. She has seen no doctor regarding this as you said I have been there myself with not much benefit.

                    Yes please, God cure our kids.

                    Regards

                    Sumi

                  • maria michelle60
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 3, 2009
                      Hi Linda

                      I have to say that I know exactly what you mean (again). My 5 year old as I said has rosacea. My four year old daughter doesn't have the rosacea (not yet anyway) but can't talk properly. Doctors said that she was probably autistic for about eight months and then when I want back in November 08 all of a sudden she wasn't autistic anymore, not even on the spectrum - (good day but also annoying as for 8 months I had thought she was autistic). Their current diagnosis is - they don't know what is wrong with her - probably genetic! Genetic what????? I'm sure they said that because they know I was adopted and do not know my family history - easy to put it onto that. In the meantime, I have a child who isn't the way other children are of her age, she's been turned down for statementing twice - when she doesn't have a label its harder to fight for help and all you seem to get here in NHS England is fancy booklets and pamplets about the numerous services/organisations that are there to help but in reality she's getting near enough no help and I'm trying my best with my husband to help her. She attends a little nursery school for three hours a morning and I thought everything was O.K. (she can't really tell me you see). Then I was getting her assessed by an educational psychologist for statementing when she starts school in September and she went into the nursery to observe my daughter and wrote a report saying many things (depressing) but also including "she was observed approaching children on several occasions to try and join in with them and was either told to go away or ignored". There we go. I shall say no more!

                      Except - she is a wonderful child, appreciates everything - buy her a pair of dora socks and she'll go to bed hugging them!

                      Bye for now. God bless you and your family especially your son.

                      Maria.

                      To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
                      From: lindahulteen@...
                      Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:03:27 +0000
                      Subject: [rosacea] Re: child with rosacea/digestion problems

> [...]

                      > > > thank you.
                      > > >

                      > > > To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
                      > > > From: lindahulteen@
                      > > > Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:08:40 +0000
                      > > > Subject: [rosacea] child with rosacea
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello,
                      > > >
                      > > > My son, who is almost 4,has rosacea. The doctors say no but my entire family has it and this is definitely it. He also has cerebral palsy. I have just the broken blood vessels and redness, but he seems to have that plus flushing. He is also a redhead.
                      > > >
                      > > > What can I do to prevent this from getting worse for him? When I took him to preschool the other kids asked "What's wrong with his face?" - not "why is he in a wheelchair" "why can't he talk" "why does he keep sticking his tongue out"...no, it was "what's wrong with his face?"!
                      > > >
                      > > > The flushing especially I don't know what to do about.

                    • maria michelle60
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 5, 2009
                        Hi Sumi

                        It is difficult as you know what they are going to go through once they get a bit older and more aware of themselves. The only blessing is that we have been there and can be a tremendous support to them until a cure is discovered. I signed a petition on here recently to Prime Minister to urge more funding to go into research into rosacea, maybe you might want to sign it too. Wasn't alot of signatures on there when I signed which is a big shame.

                        Other things that cross my mind are immigrating to warmer climate where there is a lot of outside living as I know that I am always much more comfortable being outside than inside. I think it's having grown up in hot houses with open fires which always made my rosacea/flushing flare up.

                        Anyway, good luck to you and your daughter.

                        Maria.

                      • Candy Hughes
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 5, 2009
                          Maria, talk to those who live in that warmer climate with lots of
                          outside living, before you see it as a solution

                          there may be others, but at least Kenne and I are in Hawaii --- and
                          not immune to rosacea

                          though there is this consolation: many people here who see rosacea's
                          effects on skin, just think we have either a bad sunburn, or adult
                          acne (at least a quarter of the tourists here, wind up with a
                          sunburn)

                          sunscreen in sunny climates is an absolute must --- but children's
                          sensitive skin cannot tolerate a lot of the sunscreens ... and the
                          intolerance may be due to the "underlying creamy carrier" of the
                          sunscreen, rather than necessarily the ACTIVE ingredients

                          Candy
                        • S A
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 6, 2009
                            hi Maria

                            I have signed that petition too, I was 4th on the list.

                            Don't you get affected by sun? Do you also suffer from ocular rosacea.

                            thanks

                            Sumi

                          • maria michelle60
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 30, 2009
                              Hi Sumi

                              Just got back from sunny florida. No the sun doesn't affect me - always use high suncream. Its quite the opposite for me - because one of my biggest problems is flushing but it doesn't seem to happen with natural heat more with artificial heat (strange I know). So in a hot climate, it suits me more because its warm outside and cool (air conditioning) inside whereas opposite here in U.K. where people then tend to go over the top with the heating and that's the disaster for me here in winter.

                              I have never suffered from ocular rosacea thank God.

                              Anyway, one day I hope to see the post "We've found a cure". That would be a great e-mail.

                              Bye for now.

                              Maria.

                            • S A
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 30, 2009
                                I know I can't get on with central heating. It makes my eyes go wild and skin.

                                Last year, I bought humidifier which helped and lots of house plants(keep moisturising them) and radiator hangers with wet towels hanging on them helped a bit.

                                What do you use to control your rosacea?

                                Sumi

                              • maria michelle60
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 30, 2009
                                  I control my rosacea by wearing a bag over my head! ---------- no only joking!

                                  The truth is that I can't control it - that's the problem. Living with something that you have no control of. I usually live life avoiding, if possible, situations that make it worse, but you miss alot of life doing this.