biofeedback

  • Debbie Freeberg-Renwick
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      Does anyone know anything about biofeedback? I
      remember reading bits about it years ago, and last
      night I just had a thought. I remember hearing people
      who had high blood pressure, for example, could be
      'taught' how to lower their blood presure at will. I
      was just wondering if there could be a way to stop
      flushing using this? any ideas?

      Debbie

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • emrauback@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi Debbie,

        I haven/t heard about bio-feedback. Is it something like hynotism?
        Also, I have heard a lot of people have success with clonodine for flushing.
        Would you consider that?
        Elena
      • Carole Lee Connet
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          Biofeedback is not like hypnosis. During biofeedback, subjects learn to produce
          alpha brain waves, associated with restful alertness. During hypnosis, although
          the subject appears relaxed, they are actually producing beta waves, associated
          with the normal wakeful state. Biofeedback is done by the subject to the subject
          through the mechanism of receiving feedback on their biological processes, such
          as body temperature, heart rate, brain waves. Hypnosis is done by the
          experimenter to the subject through verbal suggestions. The goal of biofeedback
          is to train the subject to self-regulate. Hypnosis supposedly works by implanting
          a subconscious suggestion to change behavior, which may or may not work.

          Caree

          emrauback@... wrote:

          > Hi Debbie,
          >
          > I haven/t heard about bio-feedback. Is it something like hynotism?
          > Also, I have heard a lot of people have success with clonodine for flushing.
          > Would you consider that?
          > Elena

          > another option is to select
          >
          > NOMAIL to suspend group email temporarily
          > or
          > DIGEST to receive fewer emails

        • Debbie Freeberg-Renwick
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
            Hi Elena,

            I know what you mean about bio-feedback and hypnotiam
            and I guess yes, they could be in the same ballpark. I
            don't know much about either though. No, I really
            don't want to take clonodine. So many things I have
            taken have had adverse effects after a while, that I
            am very gunshy. And the AMA either doesn't tell you or
            doesn't know the full story on many products out
            there. I checked out Zoloft for flushing. AMA says it
            is totally safe, not addictive. There are chat pages
            like this one we have that is support for those trying
            to get off Zoloft. The stories they tell are very
            different than the official line on the product. And
            we have all heard the rosacea fix it stuff from our
            doctors. So, no I don't trust the stuff.I plan on
            doing photoderm when I get home in a month. Deb

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
              thanks Caree. Deb

              http://auctions.yahoo.com