RE: [rootsradicals] Single speed Big Dummy?

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 2009
      Neil,

      I forgot to mention another option, though awkward as it may sound. I
      knew a number of cyclists, who liked riding fixed-gear track bikes, but
      occasionally biked on hilly terrain. If you ever biked a fixed gear down
      hill, you know that it can be really nuts and dangerous without at least
      a hand brake of some sort. Anyway, some fixed gear riders opt for a
      flip-flop hub. This means their rear wheel is set up with two cogs, with
      one on each side of the hub. The idea is that when you want to ride fixed
      gear you would have your fixed gear/cog side on your drive-chain side,
      but when you wanted to have a free wheel for downhill or whatever you
      would take off your rear wheel, flip it over, and re-attach your rear
      wheel with the free-wheel cog/gear on your drive chain side.

      In a set up like the one I am pointing out the rider is limited to having
      both rear cogs having the same number of teeth or at least very similar
      in size due to the chain tensioning concerns needed on a fixed gear bike.
      However, dual sided freewheel hubs are available, and if you are using a
      chain tensioner with enough play you can expand the limitations of how
      many teeth the cogs have on each side of your rear wheel. Therefore if
      you ever did need to deal with somewhat more hilly terrain than you
      normally do, then all you would have to do is unlock your rear quick
      release and flip your rear wheel around to take on the hills. Think of it
      as switching gears old-school style, but by having the quick release it
      makes things a lot simpler.