stoker stem and bar

  • mmoulton5
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2007
      Hi,

      I bought two stoker stems and used the silver one with a standard size
      seat post as the bar. It is a Cinelli alloy tandem stem and the bar
      sizes it handles worked out well. There are some left for $20 shipped
      on ebay action 270102602754. The result is relly solid. Here are some
      pics from the group gallery.

      The other stem I bought (the black one in the picture gallery) turned
      out to be nicely adjustable but too long for what I wanted to do. Let
      me know if you want to buy it for $12 shipped to you. I though I'd
      offer it here before putting it back on Ebay where I got it. It is an
      adjustable stoker stem. Post size is 31mm, bar size is 25.4mm extension
      is aprox. 9" to 12" and 45degrees. Stem is made from Ch/mo and
      powercoated black.

      - Michael
    • Cathode Ray
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
        alternative footsies tried and tested...

        a couple of handlebar stems from some older road bikes fitted
        perfectly into the front bridge and attached firmly with recessed
        allen screw. See pictures here:

        http://www.retrovox.com.au/hpv/images/xfootsie_1.jpg

        and

        http://www.retrovox.com.au/hpv/images/xfootsie_2.jpg

        I fitted these alternative footsies to my x some weeks back.

        lotsa passengers since then, some over 100Kg.

        No failures, injuries or confusion over the new footpegs. I tell
        passengers to stand up for the bumps

        handlebar stems are available in all sorts of angles and lengths, so
        other possibilities for alternative wideloaders await. Old pushbikes
        are five dollars each at the dump shop, or free if found by the side
        of the road

        also got the deck upholstered in 50mm foam and black vinyl. the
        little stickers that came in the xtracycle box made a nice finishing
        touch (hint please send me some more!)

        now everybody wants a ride! another bonus is that people no longer
        ask: Is that a skateboard? Did you make that yourself?

        ray
        --

        http://www.retrovox.com.au
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
          I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
          is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
          wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
          about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
          balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?

          David

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
            At 9:17 AM -0400 11/4/07, David Chase wrote:
            >I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
            >is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
            >wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
            >about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
            >balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?

            I think the weight distribution is the issue. Two kids with a
            combined weight of 60Kg affects my handling greater than one adult of
            90Kg. This is because with two kids the weight is further back. The
            passenger must sit forward of the axle and lean forwards. My 14 yo
            son likes to stand up on the footpegs and hold onto my shoulders,
            this really improves the handling. Riding too fast shouldn't be a
            problem, I think it is more stable the faster you go. I am 5'10" and
            less than 70Kg, but not real sure how the rider's weight affects
            handling with a passenger.

            ray
          • Ryano
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
              Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds just fine.  But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not sit still for the life of him so we gave up.  It also helps if you have a nice wide handle bar.  I switched my bars out recently to some big chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.

              If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer.  I have both a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids - especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep...  For giving older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the ticket, and great fun.

              On 11/04/07, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

              At 9:17 AM -0400 11/4/07, David Chase wrote:
              >I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
              >is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
              >wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
              >about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
              >balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?

              I think the weight distribution is the issue. Two kids with a
              combined weight of 60Kg affects my handling greater than one adult of
              90Kg. This is because with two kids the weight is further back. The
              passenger must sit forward of the axle and lean forwards. My 14 yo
              son likes to stand up on the footpegs and hold onto my shoulders,
              this really improves the handling. Riding too fast shouldn't be a
              problem, I think it is more stable the faster you go. I am 5'10" and
              less than 70Kg, but not real sure how the rider's weight affects
              handling with a passenger.

              ray

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 2007
                My son who is 3 1/2 always wants me to "ride faster Daddy" (naturally I
                keep my speed down in any case) so when he wiggles too much I slow down
                (or stop) and tell him to sit still. When he stops wiggling we go again
                - thus he gets instant reward/feedback for behaving back there.

                In any case things handle pretty well. I have has two giggling 8yr old
                girls on the back with no problems either aside from the rear one
                sliding slightly on the shiny snap deck. A friend of mine solved a
                similar issue by applying a bit of anti-slip grip tape on the snap deck.

                I have carried friends, full-grown 200lb men with no problem. Handling
                suffers a bit if they lean side to side to try and see how much it might
                affect my ability to ride but if they sit still the only affect is that
                it becomes much harder to ride up hills! :-)

                Juergen

                David Chase wrote:

                > I have carried passengers, but I find that the handling
                > is far worse past 50kg. Is this just a matter of my kids
                > wiggling, when they should be sitting still? I weigh just
                > about 100kg myself, and I'm strong, and I've got good
                > balance. Am I trying to ride too fast?
                >
                > David
                >
                > On 2007-04-11, at 8:15 AM, Cathode Ray wrote:
                > > lotsa passengers since then, some over 100Kg.

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Cathode Ray wrote:
                  > also got the deck upholstered in 50mm foam and black vinyl. the
                  > little stickers that came in the xtracycle box made a nice finishing
                  > touch (hint please send me some more!)

                  I like the upholstered snap deck. As for alternative footsies, I got a
                  piece of PVC pipe the right length and diameter to slide through the
                  front bridge. I drilled some holes through the PVC so a bit of wire
                  through the front bridge and the PVC holds it in place. I've not tested
                  it for standing passengers, but sitting passengers do fine.

                  CL
                • Ryano
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Actually that was the strange thing - this particular old geyser rides his bike everywhere.

                    I suspect he was probably having too much fun falling off to really try to stay on.

                    On 13/04/07, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

                    And the more they ride as passengers and on their own, the better
                    they'll be as passengers. In Taiwan, if they're not on a bicycle,
                    they're on a motorbike. I've gotten passengers who were so light in
                    their seat (or so balanced with the bike) I've had to keep checking
                    whether they were still there.

                    It's all about whether they try to straighten up as the bike leans or if
                    they stay with the bike.

                    CL

                    Ryano wrote:
                    > Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to
                    > disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds
                    > just fine. But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not
                    > sit still for the life of him so we gave up. It also helps if you have
                    > a nice wide handle bar. I switched my bars out recently to some big
                    > chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.
                    >
                    > If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer. I have both
                    > a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle
                    > is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids -
                    > especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep... For giving
                    > older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the
                    > ticket, and great fun.

                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12, 2007

                      Ryano wrote:
                      > Generally the passenger quickly gets used to it and the wobbles tend to
                      > disappear after a bit of practice, and then you can travel at low speeds
                      > just fine. But I did take one old geyser one time who just could not
                      > sit still for the life of him so we gave up. It also helps if you have
                      > a nice wide handle bar. I switched my bars out recently to some big
                      > chopper like things and that helps even more with balance.
                      >
                      > If you have kids and you are still worried, use a trailer. I have both
                      > a trailer and the xtracycle, and though I personally think the xtracycle
                      > is heaps much more fun, the trailer is undeniably safer for small kids -
                      > especially if they have a tendency to nod off to sleep... For giving
                      > older kids and adults a quick ride of course, the xtra is just the
                      > ticket, and great fun.
                    • Michael Siminitus
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13, 2007
                        The handle bars of those Razor scooters fit perfectly and make some nice footsies. It shouldn't be too hard to find a broken or scrap one...
                      • Philip.X.Diaz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 16, 2007
                          this past weekend, i used 7/8" diameter hardwood dowel and birch plywood to make some runner boards for my FreeRadical. i stained and varnished the whole setup, so it looks very antique/nautical.  i will post photos later today or tomorrow.

                          the 7/8" dowel is super-cheap and easy to find, and is a perfect fit. a couple of 3/8" wood screws into the dowel through the holes at the front side of the horizontal tube will be enough to hold it in place.

                          make sure you varnish the dowel before installing, or you risk it rotting inside the FreeRad frame if it gets wet.

                          Philip Diaz
                          Berkeley CA

                          ps> i'm loving all the activity on this list lately!

                          On Apr 13, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Michael Siminitus wrote:

                          The handle bars of those Razor scooters fit perfectly and make some nice footsies. It shouldn't be too hard to find a broken or scrap one...

                          ride to believe.

                        • Ryano