Re: [rootsradicals] How to set-up an Xtracycle for cyclo-touring WITH BACKPACKS (NOT PANNIERS)

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
      Juergen Weichert wrote:
      > Perhaps I don't fully understand the question, but I would
      > just put one backpack in each side of the Freeloader. When
      > you arrive pull out the backpacks, lock up the bike and go
      > hiking. Totally standard installation. Use wide loaders if
      > you like to help support the backpacks if they are bulky.

      I ditto Juergen.

      Why do you need something special to haul backpacks? An xtracycle can
      haul ANYTHING -- that's why we got 'em, right? I frequently haul things
      including backpacks, they just go in the bags. If they're too long,
      they stick out the back end. They're usually not long enough to mess
      with a wide loader. If your pack's waterproof enough on your back, it's
      probably waterproof enough in a freeloader. Those straps that come with
      the freeloader are nice because they can help cinch the packs closer to
      the center line. When I'm hauling heavy things like 25-L of kitty
      litter, I get much less wobble if I have everything cinched tight to the
      center line.

      CL