FS: Xtracycle FreeRad basic kit + dual stand by Val $150 Spokane ONLY

  • Pete B
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12 12:31 AM
      Found via Twitter..

      http://www.roadrid3r.com/stories/farewell-trusty-xtracycle/

      Farewell trusty Xtracycle

      Maddie and Liza rolling on the Xtree, nearly 4 years ago.

      Click pic to read more about this bike.

      Of all the bikes I have built up right now, the Xtracycle is the oldest. I got it at the beginning of 2005. Maddie spent a bunch of time riding the front of this bike. It's been a great bike and it's helped to illustrate for us just how easy it is to haul lots of daily stuff without a car, which in turn, allowed us to be nearly car free for a year or so.

      For about the last year and half, it's been loaned out to different friends.

      I picked it up from the last borrowers this morning so that I could take it apart. I'm going to use many of the parts on the cargo bike. As for the frame, I'm going to stash it away for a while. It's a neat frame. I may make it a single speed for tooling around the trails. Or I may build it into something else. But for now, it will hang in my basement.

      As I disassembled the bike this morning, I found a couple chestnuts. The rear cassette was super loose, as were the bearings in the rear hub. I didn't realize that the hub on the back was a re-spaced Shimano 600. It's pretty shot. I'll rip it apart this afternoon and see if the cups are pitted as I suspect that they will be.

      The headset was stiff. I attempted to adjust it but couldn't get it just right. I discovered why when I took it apart.

      The Xtracycle attachment will go on another bike. If you live in Spokane and you want to buy this, let me know. I'll sell it with the bags for $100. There's plenty of life in it, though the snap deck is well-weathered. I won't ship it.

      If you want the high zoot Val kickstand, it's an extra $50. More on the high zoot kickstand at the bottom of this page.