Re: [rootsradicals] How to set-up an Xtracycle for cyclo-touring WITH BACKPACKS (NOT PANNIERS)

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2007
      On the other, other hand:

      I spoke to someone, don't recall who, who had been touring on a
      tandem, and they did it that way because the two riders were
      mismatched; two bikes would have been too slow for one, too taxing
      for the other (unless, perhaps, the "one" rides the fully loaded
      xtracycle). I think taking one bicycle also avoids the very most
      likely cause of failure, which is one bike accidentally brushing
      another and causing an accident. Tandems are also far less
      vulnerable to the only kind of accident that has ever sent me to a
      hospital -- a header.

      If you know how to work on a bike, a 99% tool kit weighs just a few
      pounds. Unfortunately, lots of people don't know enough about how to
      work on a bike (or else they know it wrong).

      My kit:
      * pump
      * tire irons
      * patch kit
      * gorilla (duct) tape (helps with cut tire patches, also for
      rim tape, also for restraining cables -- my rear derailleur
      works better if the cable is not flopping around)
      * allen wrenches
      * appropriate metric box wrenches
      * combination screw driver + a T-25 bit for my disk brake rotors.
      * needle-nose pliers
      * spoke wrench
      * spare spokes
      * adjustable wrench (for tweaking bent derailleurs and hangers,
      and for other people's caliper brakes).
      + chain breaker
      + 2 spare power links + few spare inches of chain
      + freewheel remover
      - chain whip (never needed it on the road, I've got strong fingers)
      - pedal wrench (it's light)
      - spare brake pads

      * = I've used it on the road
      + = If I'd had it at the time, I would have used it. I had a
      chain break once, and if I had been able to prune out the
      busted part, I could have carried on pretty quickly.
      - = used them in the shop, haven't needed it on the road, but
      can easily imagine needing it.

      The cone wrenches and bottom-bracket tools stay home.

      I think the main issue is whether the xtracycle can deal with the
      xtra load. I think they will be within its nominal load rating, but
      just barely.

      On 2007-04-07, at 2:48 AM, Tone wrote:
      > On top of this though, I would also highly recommend against riding
      > two people on a bike while touring. By your description of some off-
      > road expedition stuff, I gather you would most likely be in
      > possibly more remote areas. I highly recommend against both you and
      > your wife touring with only one bike .Too much can go wrong, and if
      > your single bike has some kind of mechanical failure you could get
      > into some undesirable situations, especially if someone might need
      > medical assistance. Phone reception does not always work in certain
      > areas, especially around wilderness areas. If something were to
      > fail mechanically on your one bike with both of you on it, you both
      > could crash and become injured and/or incapacitated. With two bikes
      > you decrease that probability immensely.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
        Juergen Weichert wrote:
        > Perhaps I don't fully understand the question, but I would
        > just put one backpack in each side of the Freeloader. When
        > you arrive pull out the backpacks, lock up the bike and go
        > hiking. Totally standard installation. Use wide loaders if
        > you like to help support the backpacks if they are bulky.

        I ditto Juergen.

        Why do you need something special to haul backpacks? An xtracycle can
        haul ANYTHING -- that's why we got 'em, right? I frequently haul things
        including backpacks, they just go in the bags. If they're too long,
        they stick out the back end. They're usually not long enough to mess
        with a wide loader. If your pack's waterproof enough on your back, it's
        probably waterproof enough in a freeloader. Those straps that come with
        the freeloader are nice because they can help cinch the packs closer to
        the center line. When I'm hauling heavy things like 25-L of kitty
        litter, I get much less wobble if I have everything cinched tight to the
        center line.

        CL