Big Dummy sizing?

  • Doug Van Cleve
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
      Howdy folks.

      I am thinking hard about getting a Big Dummy rather than completing the 700C Xtra I started building (got a used Free Radical and all the bits really cheaply).  I haven't been a mountainbiker for years, but my current MTB has about a 57cm effective top tube.  With a 10cm stem and straight bars, I feel pretty stretched out on it, so I am not sure I would really want to go much longer in the TT.  From a standover perspective, I could ride either the 16" or 18" BD.  My road bikes are typically about 55cm with a 10-11cm stem.  What size BDs do you folks who ride similarly sized "normal" bikes ride?  I would hate to get the wrong size BD...

      Thanks, Doug

    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
        Bar choice is a big factor in sizing. Folks running a flatbar
        typically ride a smaller size than those on cruiser\albatross type
        bars

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
          Depends on the bars.

          I am 6' tall, long torso, short legs, and with a 20" BD I am right at
          the hairy edge with dropped bars on the shortest stem I could find.

          Road frames, I am about a 56 or a 57.

          Here, I just took a picture of mine:

          http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_4524/web.jpg?ver=12535469370001

          It's a weird combo of upright on the grips, or semi-leaned on the
          hoods, or actually somewhat tucked if I grab the center and rest my
          forearms on the hoods.

          This setup works pretty well for me, but I think an 18" frame might
          have given me more handlebar options.

          Here's another look -- and these are narrow bars, too.

          http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_1617/web.jpg?ver=12550377360001

          On 2009-10-09, at 2:08 PM, Doug Van Cleve wrote:

          > Howdy folks.
          >
          > I am thinking hard about getting a Big Dummy rather than completing
          > the 700C Xtra I started building (got a used Free Radical and all
          > the bits really cheaply). I haven't been a mountainbiker for years,
          > but my current MTB has about a 57cm effective top tube. With a 10cm
          > stem and straight bars, I feel pretty stretched out on it, so I am
          > not sure I would really want to go much longer in the TT. From a
          > standover perspective, I could ride either the 16" or 18" BD. My
          > road bikes are typically about 55cm with a 10-11cm stem. What size
          > BDs do you folks who ride similarly sized "normal" bikes ride? I
          > would hate to get the wrong size BD...
          >
          > Thanks, Doug

        • Eric Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
            David -

            Is that a custom fabricated chain guard on the BD? I'd like something
            like that . . .

            Eric

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
              On 2009-10-09, at 2:48 PM, Eric Paul wrote:

              > David -
              >
              > Is that a custom fabricated chain guard on the BD? I'd like something
              > like that . . .

              velo-orange. Finicky install, but once it's on, it seems to work well.
              I still need to put something on the backside of the front to keep the
              chain a little cleaner.

              http://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/installing-a-velo-orange-porteur-chain-case-on-a-big-dummy/

              David
            • Andrew Kreps
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
                On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Doug Van Cleve <dvancleve@...> wrote:

                Howdy folks.

                I am thinking hard about getting a Big Dummy rather than completing the 700C Xtra I started building

                You're going the proper route.  The Big Dummy is a fantastic piece of engineering.   I'm about 5'10" (32" inseam), and I'm riding a 54cm road bike, and about a 19" MTB frame.  I went with the 16" Big Dummy for a couple of reasons.  First, I wanted anyone to be able to ride it.  It's nice to tow a friend, but it's even nicer being towed by one.  :)  Second, with the loads I carry I need a low standover height, and as low of a center of gravity that I can manage.  This is so I can get on and off in a hurry, without worrying about my foot hitting the bar.

                That said, I have no complaints.  The cockpit has never felt cramped, and I've ridden it with flat, mustache and fully swept bars.  I find there's an inverse correlation between the amount of sweep and my average speed.  On the other hand, my "Pleasant Revolution" grin gets bigger and bigger the further back the bars go.

              • David Dannenberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 10, 2009
                  I am 5'10", 32" inseam, medium torso, long arms. I bought an 18" but
                  would have done as well or better with a 20. Standover height is low
                  on these things no matter what. I have very slightly swept bars and
                  about a 4" long stem. I am very comfortable, and figured that the
                  shorter frame would allow a larger range of people to ride it. But a
                  20 would have worked just as well and may have had some advantages.

                  David
                • Liz W. Durham
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2009

                    I am 5’10, 33 ½ inch inseam. I have a 20” BD. I chose this size without having ridden it first but I did test ride an 18” with my husband on the back (as he weighs 158 lbs or so I figured it be a good load bearing test). The 18” just felt a bit small. I can’t explain why, it is just a feeling. Standover height on the 20” is no problem for me. The curve of the top tube gives quite a bit of extra clearance. I ride with Titec h-bars and am still comfortable with my reach.

                    I haven’t hauled more than 60 lbs or so thus far but have felt perfectly comfortable and not had any issues. My husband, who is not as tall as me has ridden with 30 or 40 lbs on the back of the bike and has managed. If it were his bike, he would have bought the 18” though.

                    -liz

                  • Neil Walsh
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2009
                      Hey,
                      I ride a 56cm Cross Check and an 18" BD. I had to buy it blindly though because the shop I bought it from didn't keep a stock. The issue with sizing is not standover height but TT length. For this, I found a bike in my LBS that had the same TT length as the 18" BD and tried that out and I thought the fit was ok. I did have riser bars with a slight sweepback on it for a while and that made the bike feel a bit small, but I have switched the straight bars and it's a much better fit.
                      Neil

                      On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Doug Van Cleve <dvancleve@...> wrote:

                      Howdy folks.

                      I am thinking hard about getting a Big Dummy rather than completing the 700C Xtra I started building (got a used Free Radical and all the bits really cheaply).  I haven't been a mountainbiker for years, but my current MTB has about a 57cm effective top tube.  With a 10cm stem and straight bars, I feel pretty stretched out on it, so I am not sure I would really want to go much longer in the TT.  From a standover perspective, I could ride either the 16" or 18" BD.  My road bikes are typically about 55cm with a 10-11cm stem.  What size BDs do you folks who ride similarly sized "normal" bikes ride?  I would hate to get the wrong size BD...

                      Thanks, Doug

                    • wsafranek
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 11, 2009
                        I am 5'10.5", 33" inseam. I bought an 18" but think I think I could have and possibly should have gone with a 20". However, I'm using an Albatross handlebar, and am hoping I'll be better off with a longer stem and a Jones H-bar or Surly Open Bar.