Re: mundo bike

  • mcgurme
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
      Hi
      I agree that for touring, the Xtracycle/Big Dummy is a superior solution. If I ever find the time again to do more touring, I will likely use my BD. As you point out the modularity and lower weight is wonderful. And it's not that the BD can't handle > 100 lb loads - I do carry such loads fairly often, and I can load them up to be stable. It's just that the Mundo is more stable with > 100 lb loads. For me the bottom line is that the Xtracycle platform is more versatile for everyday use, and it is also superior for something like touring. However, if I were to use a bike for heavy-duty utility purposes like carrying drywall and other construction equipment/tools every day (I think that's what the original poster asked about), I'd probably go for the Mundo.
      Regards,
      Morgan

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Kipchoge Spencer <kipchoge@...> wrote:

      > Hey Morgan,
      >
      > I have another perspective on 100lb+ loads. At least five of our touring
      > bikes always have 100lb+ payloads. Two are Big Dummies. The other 3 are
      > FreeRadical-equipped MTBs. For touring, I think the combination of high-end
      > components, lower weight, and easier/modular loading system (FreeLoaders)
      > makes the xtracycle system superior to the Mundo. Granted, I haven't ridden
      > a Mundo on tour. To me, where it really shines is as a local-heavy-duty
      > and/or less-expensive cargo machine.
      >
      > In my experience, with practice both the BD and the FR handle big loads with
      > aplomb—enough that I don't find myself wishing for a sturdier heavier steed.
      >
      > Thanks for your reflections on H-bars. We ride slow so the benefits of total
      > upright cruiser bars seem to outweigh the negatives of wind resistance.
      >
      > kipchoge
      > --------------
      > 4 min clip of a Mexican rock odyssey:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbAIiTZ9bk
      >

      > www.gingerninjas.com

    • jj
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
        We do a lot of family biking (not car free, but we use abou a gas tank a
        month.), and my oldest daughter (12) is asking for a different saddle.
        She has become conscious of the "squished parts" feeling from foam
        seats, and has asked for something with some cushioning, but not foam.

        Since we do a lot of biking, I am not opposed to getting her a Brooks
        and having her switch it from the Tandem she rides with her sister to
        her own Townie, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that
        were better.

        Also: Will a Brooks saddle "adjust" to her over time as she grows (she
        isn't done growing) or is it a bad idea to expect it to last her for
        more than a season or two?

        Thanks!

        JJ
      • Liz W. Durham
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009

          Don’t know about Brooks adjusting over time.

          I have WTB women’s specific saddles on bikes and love them.

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2009
            FWIW, I have a Brooks B17 (one of the unsprung ones) on my commuter. I'd
            heard great things about them, but after about a year and around 1500
            miles (yeah, I know, easy commute, right?) it's still not achieved the
            comfort level I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not *bad*, but I
            don't think I'd want to go touring on it. I've treated it right, not got
            it wet, Proofided (is that a verb?) it regularly, but it's still a
            rock-hard beast, and largely the same shape it was when I got it! (And
            I'm not a tiny individual). I intend to keep 'working on it', but these
            things aren't a quick fix for comfort. As with all things, of course, YMMV.
            Slightly tangentially, I might be reading more into your post than is
            there, but in my experience, when a young 'un says something like
            "something with some cushioning, but not foam", they've likely got their
            eye on some highly expensive and flashy new bit of gel-based kit, rather
            than a leather rock ;o)
            Cheers
            Ian