Re: mundo bike

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hey Morgan,

      I have another perspective on 100lb+ loads. At least five of our touring bikes always have 100lb+ payloads. Two are Big Dummies. The other 3 are FreeRadical-equipped MTBs. For touring, I think the combination of high-end components, lower weight, and easier/modular loading system (FreeLoaders) makes the xtracycle system superior to the Mundo. Granted, I haven't ridden a Mundo on tour. To me, where it really shines is as a local-heavy-duty and/or less-expensive cargo machine.

      In my experience, with practice both the BD and the FR handle big loads with aplomb—enough that I don't find myself wishing for a sturdier heavier steed.

      Thanks for your reflections on H-bars. We ride slow so the benefits of total upright cruiser bars seem to outweigh the negatives of wind resistance.

      kipchoge
      --------------
      4 min clip of a Mexican rock odyssey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbAIiTZ9bk

      www.gingerninjas.com

      Re: mundo bike

      Posted by: "Morgan" mcgurme@...   mcgurme

      Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm (PDT)

      The new Mundos (2009) are nice - lighter weight than last year's, and
      with a full complement of gears (triple chainring up front). They
      used shaped tubes to reduce the weight while supposedly retaining the
      strength. They also narrowed the rear cargo platform to better
      accommodate child seats.

      The old Mundo (last year's) was very solid. I carried some heavy
      loads and it is more stable and wobble-free than my Big Dummy when
      loaded over 70 lbs. However, the things that led me to prefer my Big
      Dummy were the weight of the Mundo (2008 version), and the low-end
      components. I don't carry heavy loads often enough to have the wobble
      bother me. If I were to regularly carry > 100 lbs, I would definitely
      go Mundo, especially with the new, improved version.

      Morgan
      cycle9.com
    • mcgurme
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
        Hi
        I agree that for touring, the Xtracycle/Big Dummy is a superior solution. If I ever find the time again to do more touring, I will likely use my BD. As you point out the modularity and lower weight is wonderful. And it's not that the BD can't handle > 100 lb loads - I do carry such loads fairly often, and I can load them up to be stable. It's just that the Mundo is more stable with > 100 lb loads. For me the bottom line is that the Xtracycle platform is more versatile for everyday use, and it is also superior for something like touring. However, if I were to use a bike for heavy-duty utility purposes like carrying drywall and other construction equipment/tools every day (I think that's what the original poster asked about), I'd probably go for the Mundo.
        Regards,
        Morgan

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Kipchoge Spencer <kipchoge@...> wrote:

        > Hey Morgan,
        >
        > I have another perspective on 100lb+ loads. At least five of our touring
        > bikes always have 100lb+ payloads. Two are Big Dummies. The other 3 are
        > FreeRadical-equipped MTBs. For touring, I think the combination of high-end
        > components, lower weight, and easier/modular loading system (FreeLoaders)
        > makes the xtracycle system superior to the Mundo. Granted, I haven't ridden
        > a Mundo on tour. To me, where it really shines is as a local-heavy-duty
        > and/or less-expensive cargo machine.
        >
        > In my experience, with practice both the BD and the FR handle big loads with
        > aplomb—enough that I don't find myself wishing for a sturdier heavier steed.
        >
        > Thanks for your reflections on H-bars. We ride slow so the benefits of total
        > upright cruiser bars seem to outweigh the negatives of wind resistance.
        >
        > kipchoge
        > --------------
        > 4 min clip of a Mexican rock odyssey:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbAIiTZ9bk
        >

        > www.gingerninjas.com

      • jj
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
          We do a lot of family biking (not car free, but we use abou a gas tank a
          month.), and my oldest daughter (12) is asking for a different saddle.
          She has become conscious of the "squished parts" feeling from foam
          seats, and has asked for something with some cushioning, but not foam.

          Since we do a lot of biking, I am not opposed to getting her a Brooks
          and having her switch it from the Tandem she rides with her sister to
          her own Townie, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that
          were better.

          Also: Will a Brooks saddle "adjust" to her over time as she grows (she
          isn't done growing) or is it a bad idea to expect it to last her for
          more than a season or two?

          Thanks!

          JJ
        • Liz W. Durham
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009

            Don’t know about Brooks adjusting over time.

            I have WTB women’s specific saddles on bikes and love them.

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2009
              FWIW, I have a Brooks B17 (one of the unsprung ones) on my commuter. I'd
              heard great things about them, but after about a year and around 1500
              miles (yeah, I know, easy commute, right?) it's still not achieved the
              comfort level I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not *bad*, but I
              don't think I'd want to go touring on it. I've treated it right, not got
              it wet, Proofided (is that a verb?) it regularly, but it's still a
              rock-hard beast, and largely the same shape it was when I got it! (And
              I'm not a tiny individual). I intend to keep 'working on it', but these
              things aren't a quick fix for comfort. As with all things, of course, YMMV.
              Slightly tangentially, I might be reading more into your post than is
              there, but in my experience, when a young 'un says something like
              "something with some cushioning, but not foam", they've likely got their
              eye on some highly expensive and flashy new bit of gel-based kit, rather
              than a leather rock ;o)
              Cheers
              Ian