Rain + X recommendations?

  • Elaine Nelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      I got my X in July, and now western WA's arid season is coming to an
      end. Last fall/winter I bike-commuted up until last December's
      "Snowpocalypse" (srsly, most snow I'd ever seen, as a So. CA
      transplant to WA) and then sporadically through March. So not afraid
      of rain at all as long as it's not freezing!

      I have one pair of Whatchamacollars, and in the few rains we've had,
      I've gone with a combination of water-resistant bags and garbage bags
      inside my Freeloaders. There is a bike shelter at work, but it's not
      all that great if there's any wind. :(

      I did some research a while back
      (http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/) but was wondering if
      anyone has more/new/better tips for Xtracycle use in the rain. I don't
      sew at all, but am willing to be otherwise crafty. I'm cheap, but
      would rather not look TOO ghetto! :)

      Thanks in advance; would be happy to compile any tips, either as a
      post to the group or as a post to my blog!

      Elaine Nelson
      http://elainenelson.org/
    • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        Living in the mostly dry area of the Bay, I don't do much other than use Whatchamacollars and keep a plastic bag (for my Brooks saddle, '73 baby!), and my rain pants in the inside of my FreeLoaders. Fenders always on... that's about it for me.

        Cheers,
        Rick

        --
        graphic structuralist | rick@...
        888 537 1401 x709 | the original longtail company
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
          I live in PDX and it rains a lot here. Just a bit.

          I have a shower cap for my saddle. They go for 2.50 for a pack of three
          at the local walgreens. I carry three...cuz wet seats are annoying and
          they are cheap enough to give to a fellow rider.

          I have a rain poncho that sits in my pannier and tape for the holes in
          my helmet. Otherwise, I wear street clothes.

          The rain poncho was made in Eugene, and is designed with loops for my
          hands and then go over my handlebars.

          JJ

          Elaine Nelson wrote:

          > I got my X in July, and now western WA's arid season is coming to an
          > end. Last fall/winter I bike-commuted up until last December's
          > "Snowpocalypse" (srsly, most snow I'd ever seen, as a So. CA
          > transplant to WA) and then sporadically through March. So not afraid
          > of rain at all as long as it's not freezing!
          >
          > I have one pair of Whatchamacollars, and in the few rains we've had,
          > I've gone with a combination of water-resistant bags and garbage bags
          > inside my Freeloaders. There is a bike shelter at work, but it's not
          > all that great if there's any wind. :(
          >
          > I did some research a while back
          > (http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/
          > <http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/>) but was wondering if
          > anyone has more/new/better tips for Xtracycle use in the rain. I don't
          > sew at all, but am willing to be otherwise crafty. I'm cheap, but
          > would rather not look TOO ghetto! :)
          >
          > Thanks in advance; would be happy to compile any tips, either as a
          > post to the group or as a post to my blog!
          >
          > Elaine Nelson
          > http://elainenelson.org/ <http://elainenelson.org/>

        • jj
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
            Now that I re-read my email, I should point out that I have made some
            "street clothes" accommodations for the rain:

            1. I don't wear pants. Hate em. Shorts most often, kilts for formal
            events. The rain doesn't soak my skin, and the poncho tends to cover up
            my shorts.
            2. I don't wear crappy shoes: I either wear Wesco boots/Shoes, or primal
            sandals, so there isn't any chance of getting them soaked.
            3. When I wear socks, I only wear wool socks. It keeps warm even if
            damp, so its a rain accommodation.
            4. I wear wool sweaters: they stay warm even when wet, and tend to dry
            quickly. Now that I think of it, almost all my clothes for outdoors are
            wool.
            5. I have a wide brim on my helmet, thanks to some velcro and a kid's
            monkey visor: *http://tinyurl.com/yzb7crk
            *6. My cape is water resistant. Again, an accommodation to the rain.

            recap: Shower caps, no pants, wool, wool, wool, wide brim helmet, cape.

            JJ

            jj wrote:

            > I live in PDX and it rains a lot here. Just a bit.
            >
            > I have a shower cap for my saddle. They go for 2.50 for a pack of three
            > at the local walgreens. I carry three...cuz wet seats are annoying and
            > they are cheap enough to give to a fellow rider.
            >
            > I have a rain poncho that sits in my pannier and tape for the holes in
            > my helmet. Otherwise, I wear street clothes.
            >
            > The rain poncho was made in Eugene, and is designed with loops for my
            > hands and then go over my handlebars.
            >
            > JJ
            >
            > Elaine Nelson wrote:
            > >

            > > I got my X in July, and now western WA's arid season is coming to an
            > > end. Last fall/winter I bike-commuted up until last December's
            > > "Snowpocalypse" (srsly, most snow I'd ever seen, as a So. CA
            > > transplant to WA) and then sporadically through March. So not afraid
            > > of rain at all as long as it's not freezing!
            > >
            > > I have one pair of Whatchamacollars, and in the few rains we've had,
            > > I've gone with a combination of water-resistant bags and garbage bags
            > > inside my Freeloaders. There is a bike shelter at work, but it's not
            > > all that great if there's any wind. :(
            > >
            > > I did some research a while back
            > > (http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/
            > <http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/>
            > > <http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/
            > <http://pinboard.in/u:epersonae/t:rain-riding/>>) but was wondering if
            > > anyone has more/new/better tips for Xtracycle use in the rain. I don't
            > > sew at all, but am willing to be otherwise crafty. I'm cheap, but
            > > would rather not look TOO ghetto! :)
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance; would be happy to compile any tips, either as a
            > > post to the group or as a post to my blog!
            > >
            > > Elaine Nelson
            > > http://elainenelson.org/ <http://elainenelson.org/>
            > <http://elainenelson.org/ <http://elainenelson.org/>>

          • Michael Yoder
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
              I just got done with the NW rains, but what I had was:

              fenders
              Water proof bag
              rain jacket
              Water resistant pants
              Shoe covers (really make a difference)
              Lights
              Wool, lots of wool
              The impression that I could make it even on the worst days.

              Mostly it is mental, if you can ride through a pineapple express, you
              can do anything.

              Michael

              Sent from my iPod
            • David Dannenberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
                Good fenders, good rain suit, good biking boots and sometimes booties,
                dry bag for my stuff. Can ride through anything and only my ankles,
                hands, and face get wet. Fenders are definitely the ticket!