Re: footsies and more

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
      Tom, thanks for the reasonable suggestions, though we're on a tight budget, so I'm not
      sure the PeaPod is realistic for us. The "stoker bar" looks good, however. Any ideas about
      where to find one of those?

      Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm with Ben - it looks dangerous to use for a
      passenger grip.

      -Phil
      (if you're ever in Goshen, IN, check out our contra dancing at http://www.godancing.org/)

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ahearn" <tahearn@...> wrote:

      > Phil,
      >
      > I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
      > (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
      > (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
      > figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
      > Footsies.
      >
      > As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
      > the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
      > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
      set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
      > I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.
      >
      > I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
      > laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.
      >
      > Tom Ahearn
      > West Seattle
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
      > <poppamando@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
      > if anyone has used the
      > > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
      > and his feet probably
      > > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
      > considered making an
      > > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
      > to the seatpost,
      > > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
      > to allow for a
      > > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
      > feeling pretty secure,
      > > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
      > when I take him to
      > > Kindergarten.
      > >
      > > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
      > even through our
      > > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
      > I drove at least an
      > > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
      > commuting.
      > >
      > > Thanks a bunch,
      > > Phil

    • Andrew Janjigian
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
        That was my worry.  I'll be sticking with my grip as is. Thanks for the review.

        aj

        On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:29 PM, Ben Rosenthal wrote:

        I have a Swing Grip, Andrew, but I don't feel its designed to serve as a handlebar for anyone. I suppose it would fit on a seat post, but it hasn't felt to me to be sturdy enough for that kind of resistance.

        - Ben

        On 8 Feb 2006, at 16:58, Andrew Janjigian wrote:

        I have a clamp on threadless stem and a pair of grips on the seatpost of my XC/SM, but I was thinking about replacing it with one of these:

        Someone on the XC forum said it made a god grip, and it folds away when not in use. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough for when I'm going 25mph or not, however. . .

        Andrew

        On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

[...]

        ride to believe.

        Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
        Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ride to believe.

        Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
        Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ride to believe.

        Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
        Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • N A
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
          Phil,
          Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
          stem is probably going to be your best bet.

          http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=public&page=5

          Drew
          San Diego

          --- Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

          > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB
          > FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
          > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on
          > the smallish side and his feet probably
          > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also
          > wondered if anyone's considered making an
          > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something
          > that would attach to the seatpost,
          > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a
          > smallish handlebar to allow for a
          > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid
          > holding on and feeling pretty secure,
          > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently
          > rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
          > Kindergarten.
          >
          > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by
          > bike most days, even through our
          > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job
          > in August of '05, I drove at least an
          > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to
          > be done with car commuting.
          >
          > Thanks a bunch,
          > Phil

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ben Rosenthal
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
            I'd be thrilled if Xtracycle would produce a handlebar unit for
            footsies standers and deck sitters. Sure, I enjoy when friends hold
            onto me (better than the deck or the seat post), but for smoother
            riding, sometimes I stand up, and I have to be sure not to when a
            rider needs me for his/her own balance. I would certainly be a first
            buyer of such a product!

            - Ben

            On 9 Feb 2006, at 15:21, N A wrote:

            > Phil,
            > Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
            > stem is probably going to be your best bet.
            >
            > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?
            > set_albumName=public&page=5
            >
            > Drew
            > San Diego
          • Phil Good-Elliott
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
              Drew, thanks much. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

              -Phil