Re: [rootsradicals] Re: greatgreengadgets.com ï¿ ½ Blog Archive � Sport Utility Bicycle (S.U.B.)

  • Jeff Youngstrom
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
      On 4/2/07, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@...> wrote:
      > Just carry an extra-long compression strap to lash any old thing to the deck. when i go over
      > 4 overstuffed grocery bags i pack the rest in a box and lash it to the deck. See, e.g., http://
      > todd.cleverchimp.com/blog/images/P1000513_1.jpg

      That works fine when you've got something with some structural
      integrity or there's a reasonably sized box handy. I'm thinking of
      things like buying a cake at a bake sale or a you-bake pizza on a
      flimsy pan. I'll probably try to put something together from the
      collected pile of coroplast campaign signs once I find some stickers
      to cover up all the repulsive candidates they were advertising.

      j.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
        Do, please do!!!

        Hmmm.... how many bungees do I have....
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Youngstrom" <jeffy@...> wrote:

        > On 4/2/07, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@...> wrote:
        > > Just carry an extra-long compression strap to lash any old thing
        to the deck. when i go over
        > > 4 overstuffed grocery bags i pack the rest in a box and lash it to
        the deck. See, e.g., http://
        > > todd.cleverchimp.com/blog/images/P1000513_1.jpg
        >
        > That works fine when you've got something with some structural
        > integrity or there's a reasonably sized box handy. I'm thinking of
        > things like buying a cake at a bake sale or a you-bake pizza on a
        > flimsy pan. I'll probably try to put something together from the
        > collected pile of coroplast campaign signs once I find some stickers
        > to cover up all the repulsive candidates they were advertising.
        >
        > j.

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
          In Taiwan, they used to deliver incredible angel-food meringue
          confections on the backs of motorbikes. They had a contraption with a
          swing that hung with springs over the back seat of the bike. The cake
          in its box sat on the swing. That way, no matter what the bike did
          (lean into turns, accelerate, screech to a stop, ...) the cakes stayed
          level. I assume they arrived fine.

          I've not seen one in years, but will now keep my eyes open in case I can
          get a picture.

          CL

          Susan wrote:
          > Darned cool! I posted a reply to add to the effect. (Not only is it
          > out there, but people notice maybe?)
          >
          > So. Here's my problem. I made a key lime pie with a lovely meringue.
          > How can I carry *that* on my bicycle?
          >

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Pete B" <nackterman@...> wrote:
          >> The message is getting out there in blog-land.
          >>
          >> --------------------------------
          >>
          > http://greatgreengadgets.com/gadgets/2007/03/31/sport-utility-bicycle-sub/
          >> Sport Utility Bicycle (S.U.B.) from xtracycle.com 6 new S.U.B. models
          >> starting at $599.00
          >> Much of urban driving is just running errands to various stores to
          > get a few
          >> items. Why use a truck disguised as a car to carry a few groceries? More
          >> people are dumping the gas guzzling SUV's for the clean and green
          > S.U.B.'s.
          >> These bikes are built not only lightweight, compact and strong but can
          >> easily carry your groceries, supplies, even another passenger.
          > Xtracycle has
          >> a photo gallery that shows images and videos of creative uses of the
          > S.U.B.
          >> to carry an amazing amount of stuff, one photo shows a guy with a
          > kitchen
          >> table and chairs on the back. If more people used bikes to get
          > around not
          >> only would there be less pollution, we could see a lot more people
          > in shape
          >> and having healthier lifestyles. Here is another link to their page
          > on the
          >> bicycle lifestyle.
          >>

          > http://greatgreengadgets.com/gadgets/2007/03/31/sport-utility-bicycle-sub/
          >> ------------------------------

          > ride to believe.
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Cara Lin Bridgman

          P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
          Longjing Sinjhuang
          Taichung County 434
          Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
            It ought not be too hard to put something together with thin PVC.
            3/4-inch PVC's a little floppy, but it fits through the horizontal
            tubes fore-and-aft, you could just tinker-toy it together till
            you had something about right.

            On 2007-04-03, at 8:31 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman wrote:

            > In Taiwan, they used to deliver incredible angel-food meringue
            > confections on the backs of motorbikes. They had a contraption with a
            > swing that hung with springs over the back seat of the bike. The cake
            > in its box sat on the swing. That way, no matter what the bike did
            > (lean into turns, accelerate, screech to a stop, ...) the cakes stayed
            > level. I assume they arrived fine.
            >
            > I've not seen one in years, but will now keep my eyes open in case
            > I can
            > get a picture.
            >
            > CL

          • Ryano
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2007
              Ate you kidding?  They still do this everywhere in Japan.  Just tried to find a photo online, but I couldn't.  Must remember to take a photo next time myself...

              Incidentally, one of the main japanese freight forwarding and delivery companies has recently started using electric bicycles with trailers. The posties of course have used bicycles forever.