Proud new Big Dummy Owner

  • lizwdurham
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hello All.

      I have been lurking around here for the past 6 months or so. I have learned so much from everyone's posts - Thanks! This list helped me in my decision to purchase my bike.

      I just bought a BD a couple of days ago after salivating over it for the past year. I am car-free (my husband is not) and ride with a 3 y.o. I have some photos on Facebook which show my new bike and how we retro-fitted a front mount Bobike seat to the snapdeck. If anyone is interested the link is

      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37080&id=1356228364&l=d4ea302d4c

      Again...Thanks!
      -Liz
    • Neil Walsh

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 28, 2009

          Yes, it is! I am so glad they make it in black now…IMHO it really makes the bike’s lines and beauty stand out.

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 28, 2009
            It looks much better in those pictures than it does on the Surly website. I am still a fan of the military green though.
            Neil

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
            • 1 Attachment
            • 2.1 MB
            Congrats on the purchase!
            My wife just got my Big Dummy Frame for me...destined for the Powder Coat shop...still trying to decide on the color.  Torture will be waiting till after Christmas to be able to build it!

            "The things that bring me so much joy, are the things my parents did with me as a child.  Hiking, Bicycling, Canoeing, scrambling on rocks, being at a beach, and in general spending time out in nature.  Now I have a little girl of my own, and do the same things with her...and again, those are her favorite things to do."

            Message 6 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
              Liz!,
              I looked at your photos of the child-seat retrofit on your Big Dummy and
              one thing I immediately noticed was a major safety concern you should be
              aware of. While your connection of the child seat to the Snap-Deck looks
              solid, it does not appear as if you have the Snap-Deck locked down with
              straps or anything. I have the Big Dummy as well with WhaChaMaCollars to
              keep the V-racks from spreading out too much, but still I would never
              carry a person on the snap-deck without it being strapped down some how.
              The last thing you want is to hit a bump or whatever and have the bounce
              or shock cause the snap-deck to pop out with your child in that seat!
              Even without a bump, if your child ever leans extremely far to one side
              the weight could cause the snap deck to pop out. Though unlikely to
              occur, why take the chance with an easy fix?
              I once was carrying a girlfriend over the Manhattan Bridge in New York on
              my Xtracycle rig and the snap-deck popped off with her on it when we
              crossed over a metal plate. The metal plates are there to cover minor
              gaps in the surface of the bridge, which expand and contract due to
              temperature and winds, etc. Either way we were not going super fast, but
              when bouncing over it the deck popped off and my girlfriend became
              terrified while holding on with her life. At the time I did not have a
              stoker bar, so she had to hold onto my seat post or the V-rack rails. I
              of course slowed down to a stop immediately, and I popped the deck back
              in place. After we got home she was never a passenger on my bike again
              even though I immediately installed heavy duty buckled straps across the
              front and rear ends of the snap-deck. The incident could have turned out
              a lot worse.
              Hope this helps avoid any tragic accidents for you and anyone else.
              Ride safe,
              _TONE_
            • todd
              Message 7 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
                What Tone said. Gotta secure that deck! OP might make a note of this important point in Facebook posting or any other public photos to avoid unwitting propagation of dangerous idea.
              • dianedouglas8
                Message 8 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
                  Tone is absolutely right on the strap it down part. One fateful morning after dropping my kids off, I hit a big bump riding down Capitol Hill. My new custom-made double kid seat snapdeck replacement (the orange one from the pictures) popped off and shattered into three pieces. I was despondent until I could get another one made. I now use two Surly extra-long toe clip straps (fore and aft) to squeeze the v-racks together. I also wrap a third around the seat and v-racks making absolutely sure it's going nowhere.

                  This brings up a new point.

                  Has anyone tried out the new superhooks (all-metal snaphooks)? I blew through one of my snaphooks on the old seat--the screw simply pulled itself through the plastic hook. The newer superhooks should never have that problem, but I didn't see them as an optional accessory buy on the Xtracycle site.

                  Scott
                  Washington, DC

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "todd" <todd@...> wrote:

                  > What Tone said. Gotta secure that deck! OP might make a note of this important point in Facebook posting or any other public photos to avoid unwitting propagation of dangerous idea.

                • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
                  Message 9 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
                    We don't have them in hand yet, one of the reasons why PPLT had to be pre-order since we're expecting those parts early next week. Sadly, we only have enough for PPLT and won't have one-offs available for a couple more months. :(

                    Thanks for sharing the security concerns and tips regarding custom child seats. Be careful out there!

                    ride on,
                    rick

                    --
                    graphic structuralist | rick@...
                    888 537 1401 x709 | the original longtail company
                    Message 10 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009

                      Thanks Tone.

                      I actually have some straps for the purpose of holding down the snapdeck…they just hadn’t made it on before the photo taking and small ride as we were testing it out. I will make it a priority to get them on before my next ride with the wee one. I certainly wouldn’t want him to have an experience like your girlfriend had…sounds scary and potentially quite harmful.

                      Message 11 of 26 , Sep 29, 2009
                        I used 7/8" stainless steel silicone cushioned P clamps from McMaster Carr to attach my custom kid seats.  I drilled out the P clamps to accept 1/4" screws and secured the seats to to the P clamps with 1/4x20 SS torx head screws. Screws are screwed into SS tee nuts set into the top of the deck. I also drilled the holes on the deck a little wide so that it would hold the V racks in a bit more tension (not much and not so much I can't move 'em there with my hands). this has the effect of really stiffening up the back end.  The whole set up is really secure.

                        --dlloyd
                        "I don't know what utopia will be like exactly, but it will have bicycles." -- Frank Barron

                        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 14:29, dianedouglas8 <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

                        Tone is absolutely right on the strap it down part. One fateful morning after dropping my kids off, I hit a big bump riding down Capitol Hill. My new custom-made double kid seat snapdeck replacement (the orange one from the pictures) popped off and shattered into three pieces. I was despondent until I could get another one made. I now use two Surly extra-long toe clip straps (fore and aft) to squeeze the v-racks together. I also wrap a third around the seat and v-racks making absolutely sure it's going nowhere.

                        This brings up a new point.

                        Has anyone tried out the new superhooks (all-metal snaphooks)? I blew through one of my snaphooks on the old seat--the screw simply pulled itself through the plastic hook. The newer superhooks should never have that problem, but I didn't see them as an optional accessory buy on the Xtracycle site.

                        Scott
                        Washington, DC

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "todd" <todd@...> wrote:

                        > What Tone said. Gotta secure that deck! OP might make a note of this important point in Facebook posting or any other public photos to avoid unwitting propagation of dangerous idea.

                      • Travers, Neil
                        Message 12 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                          > it does not appear as if you have the Snap-Deck locked down with
                          straps or anything.

                          It does seem like this should be a standard feature - e.g. that the snap
                          deck should have locking fixings rather than (or aswell as) push
                          fittings. It just seems to me that many of the common usage cases
                          require a much more secure fitting that is the base provision.
                        • na na
                          Message 13 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                            Hey all,

                            I've had my X for about a year and a half after I sold my beetle, and have been checking out the Yuba E-mundo. My X has been good so far as a cargo bike, but I have some qualms:

                            -Its unwieldy for me at 150lbs, I don't think I could safely ride downhill (and I live on a 30% grade) with more than that - which sucks - because I still have to bum rides from friends for building materials.
                            -My calf muscles are really impressive, but I am exhausted and sore on a daily basis
                            -The way the x is designed with all the connections theres alot of parts that rust easily, and it rains here pretty regularly.
                            -To really replace a car it needs to be able to pull 250lbs of drywall comfortably for me, which it doesnt.
                            -My stuff occasionally flies out of the rear end of the bags when I'm going downhill.

                            Has anyone had any experience or seen reviews for the mundo ?

                            Reese

                            Message 14 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                              if they don't speak up here, look for the Stouts, longwalktogreen

                              http://longwalktogreen.blogspot.com/

                              If I recall, they replaced their Big Dummy with a Yuba Mundo, loved
                              the frame, replaced the components. A BD is stiffer than an XC, so a
                              YM must indeed be a tank.

                              David

                              On 2009-09-30, at 10:53 AM, na na wrote:

                              > Hey all,
                              >
                              > I've had my X for about a year and a half after I sold my beetle,
                              > and have been checking out the Yuba E-mundo. My X has been good so
                              > far as a cargo bike, but I have some qualms:
                              >
                              > -Its unwieldy for me at 150lbs, I don't think I could safely ride
                              > downhill (and I live on a 30% grade) with more than that - which
                              > sucks - because I still have to bum rides from friends for building
                              > materials.
                              > -My calf muscles are really impressive, but I am exhausted and sore
                              > on a daily basis
                              > -The way the x is designed with all the connections theres alot of
                              > parts that rust easily, and it rains here pretty regularly.
                              > -To really replace a car it needs to be able to pull 250lbs of
                              > drywall comfortably for me, which it doesnt.
                              > -My stuff occasionally flies out of the rear end of the bags when
                              > I'm going downhill.
                              >
                              > Has anyone had any experience or seen reviews for the mundo ?
                              >
                              > Reese
                              >

                              > Bing™ brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place.
                              > Try it now.

                            • Bert Ankrom
                              Message 15 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009

                                I have an emundo. I bought the mundo frame on closeout, so it is last years model (the new frame is 16 pounds lighter). As mentioned the mundo is rock solid there is no flex in the frame at all but I highly recommend buying the frame and adding the components as the stock components leave a bit to be desired. As far as the e-assist there are a ton of options to consider, front wheel hub motor or rear wheel, geared or gearless or an external chain drive (AKA as a stokemonkey). If you indeed do have a 30% grade you will be looking at what is called the Crystalyte x5 series hub motor and a and a beefy minimum 80 amp controller. I won’t go into a lot of detail here but you should check out endless sphere an ebike forum (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21) and ask the good folks there for advice. Look around a bit you’ll probably even find a few pics of my ride.

                                Message 16 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                                  I have a friend with an electrified Mundo and I have a BD. The Mundo
                                  is indeed a tank. If you want to motorize it, the Mundo is a good
                                  value and a great bike. If you want to pedal it a lot I would
                                  recommend a BD hands down.

                                  David Dannenberg
                                • na na
                                  Message 17 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                                    what is a bd?

                                    To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                                      Surly "B"ig "D"ummy

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, na na <reesedobbins@...> wrote:

                                      > what is a bd?
                                      >

                                      > To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                      > From: ddannenberg@...
                                      > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:18:38 -0400
                                      > Subject: [rootsradicals] Re:mundo bike
                                      >

                                      > I have a friend with an electrified Mundo and I have a BD. The Mundo
                                      > is indeed a tank. If you want to motorize it, the Mundo is a good
                                      > value and a great bike. If you want to pedal it a lot I would
                                      > recommend a BD hands down.
                                      >
                                      > David Dannenberg

                                      > Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that's right for you.
                                      > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290

                                    • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                                        || My stuff occasionally flies out of the rear end of the bags when I'm going downhill.

                                        If you take the lanyard loop and pass your buckle through it, that should keep the mesh bag up and prevent items from flying out.

                                        With regards to the mega loads you want to haul on a repeated basis, a Mundo might be the ticket for you. They're high-tensile steel, but less holes so they should have less exposure to the elements. You'll want an e-assist no matter what cargo bike you use since you're messing with some steep hills and heavy cargo.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Rick
                                      • Morgan
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Sep 30, 2009
                                          The new Mundos (2009) are nice - lighter weight than last year's, and with a full complement of gears (triple chainring up front).  They used shaped tubes to reduce the weight while supposedly retaining the strength.  They also narrowed the rear cargo platform to better accommodate child seats.

                                          The old Mundo (last year's) was very solid.  I carried some heavy loads and it is more stable and wobble-free than my Big Dummy when loaded over 70 lbs.  However, the things that led me to prefer my Big Dummy were the weight of the Mundo (2008 version), and the low-end components.  I don't carry heavy loads often enough to have the wobble bother me.  If I were to regularly carry > 100 lbs, I would definitely go Mundo, especially with the new, improved version.

                                          Morgan
                                          cycle9.com

                                          mundo bike

                                          Posted by: "na na" reesedobbins@...

                                          Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 am (PDT)

[...]

                                        • mcgurme
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Oct 1, 2009
                                            Bert,
                                            Sorry to disagree a bit, but the C'lyte x5 series will turn a bike into something that feels and acts more like a motorcycle than a bike. It is quite heavy, and at 80A, this will have over 3 kilowatts of power. There are other solutions to achieving loaded hill climbing that don't involve so much weight or power.
                                            Morgan

                                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Ankrom" <BEAnkrom@...> wrote:

                                            > I have an emundo. I bought the mundo frame on closeout, so it is last
                                            > years model (the new frame is 16 pounds lighter). As mentioned the mundo
                                            > is rock solid there is no flex in the frame at all but I highly
                                            > recommend buying the frame and adding the components as the stock
                                            > components leave a bit to be desired. As far as the e-assist there are a
                                            > ton of options to consider, front wheel hub motor or rear wheel, geared
                                            > or gearless or an external chain drive (AKA as a stokemonkey). If you
                                            > indeed do have a 30% grade you will be looking at what is called the
                                            > Crystalyte x5 series hub motor and a and a beefy minimum 80 amp
                                            > controller. I won't go into a lot of detail here but you should check
                                            > out endless sphere an ebike forum
                                            > (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21) and ask the good
                                            > folks there for advice. Look around a bit you'll probably even find a
                                            > few pics of my ride.

                                          • Kipchoge Spencer
                                            Message 22 of 26 , Oct 1, 2009
                                              Hey Morgan,

                                              I have another perspective on 100lb+ loads. At least five of our touring bikes always have 100lb+ payloads. Two are Big Dummies. The other 3 are FreeRadical-equipped MTBs. For touring, I think the combination of high-end components, lower weight, and easier/modular loading system (FreeLoaders) makes the xtracycle system superior to the Mundo. Granted, I haven't ridden a Mundo on tour. To me, where it really shines is as a local-heavy-duty and/or less-expensive cargo machine.

                                              In my experience, with practice both the BD and the FR handle big loads with aplomb—enough that I don't find myself wishing for a sturdier heavier steed.

                                              Thanks for your reflections on H-bars. We ride slow so the benefits of total upright cruiser bars seem to outweigh the negatives of wind resistance.

                                              kipchoge
                                              --------------
                                              4 min clip of a Mexican rock odyssey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbAIiTZ9bk

                                              www.gingerninjas.com

                                              Re: mundo bike

                                              Posted by: "Morgan" mcgurme@...   mcgurme

                                              Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm (PDT)

                                              Message 23 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
                                                Hi
                                                I agree that for touring, the Xtracycle/Big Dummy is a superior solution. If I ever find the time again to do more touring, I will likely use my BD. As you point out the modularity and lower weight is wonderful. And it's not that the BD can't handle > 100 lb loads - I do carry such loads fairly often, and I can load them up to be stable. It's just that the Mundo is more stable with > 100 lb loads. For me the bottom line is that the Xtracycle platform is more versatile for everyday use, and it is also superior for something like touring. However, if I were to use a bike for heavy-duty utility purposes like carrying drywall and other construction equipment/tools every day (I think that's what the original poster asked about), I'd probably go for the Mundo.
                                                Regards,
                                                Morgan

                                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Kipchoge Spencer <kipchoge@...> wrote:

                                                > Hey Morgan,
                                                >
                                                > I have another perspective on 100lb+ loads. At least five of our touring
                                                > bikes always have 100lb+ payloads. Two are Big Dummies. The other 3 are
                                                > FreeRadical-equipped MTBs. For touring, I think the combination of high-end
                                                > components, lower weight, and easier/modular loading system (FreeLoaders)
                                                > makes the xtracycle system superior to the Mundo. Granted, I haven't ridden
                                                > a Mundo on tour. To me, where it really shines is as a local-heavy-duty
                                                > and/or less-expensive cargo machine.
                                                >
                                                > In my experience, with practice both the BD and the FR handle big loads with
                                                > aplomb—enough that I don't find myself wishing for a sturdier heavier steed.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for your reflections on H-bars. We ride slow so the benefits of total
                                                > upright cruiser bars seem to outweigh the negatives of wind resistance.
                                                >
                                                > kipchoge
                                                > --------------
                                                > 4 min clip of a Mexican rock odyssey:
                                                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbAIiTZ9bk
                                                >

                                                > www.gingerninjas.com

                                              • jj
                                                Message 24 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009
                                                  We do a lot of family biking (not car free, but we use abou a gas tank a
                                                  month.), and my oldest daughter (12) is asking for a different saddle.
                                                  She has become conscious of the "squished parts" feeling from foam
                                                  seats, and has asked for something with some cushioning, but not foam.

                                                  Since we do a lot of biking, I am not opposed to getting her a Brooks
                                                  and having her switch it from the Tandem she rides with her sister to
                                                  her own Townie, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that
                                                  were better.

                                                  Also: Will a Brooks saddle "adjust" to her over time as she grows (she
                                                  isn't done growing) or is it a bad idea to expect it to last her for
                                                  more than a season or two?

                                                  Thanks!

                                                  JJ
                                                • Liz W. Durham
                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Oct 2, 2009

                                                    Don’t know about Brooks adjusting over time.

                                                    I have WTB women’s specific saddles on bikes and love them.

                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                      FWIW, I have a Brooks B17 (one of the unsprung ones) on my commuter. I'd
                                                      heard great things about them, but after about a year and around 1500
                                                      miles (yeah, I know, easy commute, right?) it's still not achieved the
                                                      comfort level I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not *bad*, but I
                                                      don't think I'd want to go touring on it. I've treated it right, not got
                                                      it wet, Proofided (is that a verb?) it regularly, but it's still a
                                                      rock-hard beast, and largely the same shape it was when I got it! (And
                                                      I'm not a tiny individual). I intend to keep 'working on it', but these
                                                      things aren't a quick fix for comfort. As with all things, of course, YMMV.
                                                      Slightly tangentially, I might be reading more into your post than is
                                                      there, but in my experience, when a young 'un says something like
                                                      "something with some cushioning, but not foam", they've likely got their
                                                      eye on some highly expensive and flashy new bit of gel-based kit, rather
                                                      than a leather rock ;o)
                                                      Cheers
                                                      Ian