Re: [rootsradicals] footsies and more

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
      I have a Swing Grip, Andrew, but I don't feel its designed to serve as a handlebar for anyone. I suppose it would fit on a seat post, but it hasn't felt to me to be sturdy enough for that kind of resistance.

      - Ben

      On 8 Feb 2006, at 16:58, Andrew Janjigian wrote:

      I have a clamp on threadless stem and a pair of grips on the seatpost of my XC/SM, but I was thinking about replacing it with one of these:

      Someone on the XC forum said it made a god grip, and it folds away when not in use. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough for when I'm going 25mph or not, however. . .

      Andrew

      On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

      Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
      Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side and his feet probably
      wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's considered making an
      add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach to the seatpost,
      extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar to allow for a
      secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and feeling pretty secure,
      versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
      Kindergarten.

      I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days, even through our
      Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05, I drove at least an
      hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car commuting.

      Thanks a bunch,
      Phil

      ride to believe.

      Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
      Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ride to believe.

      Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
      Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Phil Good-Elliott
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
        Tom, thanks for the reasonable suggestions, though we're on a tight budget, so I'm not
        sure the PeaPod is realistic for us. The "stoker bar" looks good, however. Any ideas about
        where to find one of those?

        Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm with Ben - it looks dangerous to use for a
        passenger grip.

        -Phil
        (if you're ever in Goshen, IN, check out our contra dancing at http://www.godancing.org/)

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ahearn" <tahearn@...> wrote:

        > Phil,
        >
        > I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
        > (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
        > (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
        > figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
        > Footsies.
        >
        > As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
        > the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
        > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
        set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
        > I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.
        >
        > I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
        > laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.
        >
        > Tom Ahearn
        > West Seattle
        >

        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
        > <poppamando@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
        > if anyone has used the
        > > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
        > and his feet probably
        > > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
        > considered making an
        > > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
        > to the seatpost,
        > > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
        > to allow for a
        > > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
        > feeling pretty secure,
        > > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
        > when I take him to
        > > Kindergarten.
        > >
        > > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
        > even through our
        > > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
        > I drove at least an
        > > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
        > commuting.
        > >
        > > Thanks a bunch,
        > > Phil

      • Andrew Janjigian

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
            Phil,
            Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
            stem is probably going to be your best bet.

            http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=public&page=5

            Drew
            San Diego

            --- Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

            > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB
            > FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
            > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on
            > the smallish side and his feet probably
            > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also
            > wondered if anyone's considered making an
            > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something
            > that would attach to the seatpost,
            > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a
            > smallish handlebar to allow for a
            > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid
            > holding on and feeling pretty secure,
            > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently
            > rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
            > Kindergarten.
            >
            > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by
            > bike most days, even through our
            > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job
            > in August of '05, I drove at least an
            > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to
            > be done with car commuting.
            >
            > Thanks a bunch,
            > Phil

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ben Rosenthal
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
              I'd be thrilled if Xtracycle would produce a handlebar unit for
              footsies standers and deck sitters. Sure, I enjoy when friends hold
              onto me (better than the deck or the seat post), but for smoother
              riding, sometimes I stand up, and I have to be sure not to when a
              rider needs me for his/her own balance. I would certainly be a first
              buyer of such a product!

              - Ben

              On 9 Feb 2006, at 15:21, N A wrote:

              > Phil,
              > Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
              > stem is probably going to be your best bet.
              >
              > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?
              > set_albumName=public&page=5
              >
              > Drew
              > San Diego
            • Phil Good-Elliott
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                Drew, thanks much. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

                -Phil