Surly 1X1 fork/ Planet Bike Hardcore ATB fender fitment problems

  • Smorris
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2009
      Today I test fit the new Surly 1X1 fork on my KHS Xtracycle conversion. I also bought a set of Planet Bike Hardcore ATB fenders, which are the ones Xtracycle sells as accessories on their site.

      Rear fender went on fine. I drilled out the riveted on bridge clip and then made a spacer to fit between the front of the fender an the braze-on on the back of what would normally be the seat tube.

      But the front fender is giving me fitment problems. The 1X1 has so much clearance for big tires, that when I use the fender's riveted in L-bracket, the front of the fender is slightly above the V-brakes. The bracket is about 1-1/2" too short. It looks like a fender on an off-road motorcycle.

      I can't be the first to try to put fenders on a Surly fork. What have y'all done to make it fit? I've seen gizmos that go inside the fork to fit Honjo fenders (daruma is the name of the part) but they all have a short screw coming out of them, so that wouldn't work. I could just screw on a longer strap to the existing L-bracket, but that would look less than elegant.

      Thoughts? Suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Steve