Skip to search.

Re: Smorris' Xtracycle blog, build, and questions

  • argecko
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 12, 2009
      Thanks David,

      Full loose or full tight makes no difference with this shock. I had it at full resistance, though.

      I've seen the towing method you used in the Xtracycle Flickr gallery. I'll try that, too. I also ought to put a nylon washer between the fork and the mount, as it really doesn't pivot with the current configuration. I didn't think about that when I added the fork mount.

      Steve

      > On 2009-09-12, at 8:01 PM, argecko wrote:
      > Do you have the shock at maximum resistance?

      > The other way to tow a bike, is just "whole bike", with the front
      > wheel in the freeloader (taking care not to wear the fabric with the pointy bits)
    • Bill Bonney
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 19, 2009
        That's a good point you make. I'm not sure that the length on the fork is as significant as just removing suspension. The extra leverage from the increased wheel base must effect the balance of the suspension fork. Wold be nice to experiment with stronger springs in the suspension fork. But for simplicity, the rigid fork is the easy way to go

        Bill

        On 2009-09-19, at 16:50 , Smorris wrote:

        I'm impatient, and couldn't wait until my friend returns. I temporarily put the new fork on today using the old bearings and cups, and a second stem to take up space on the long steerer tube. (The KHS has the Diatech style headset that has a conical pinch bolt that clamps up against the bottom of the stem or spacers instead of an Aheadset style clamp.) Wow, does that make a difference! Much more nimble and lighter feeling steering. It feels like a completely different bike. At fist I was disappointed with the Xtracycle, because it made a fun mountain bike feel heavy and sluggish. That's all gone now. What a drastic improvement!

        I've put three work in progress photos at the end of the "Xtracycle Build" gallery here to show what it looks like now.

        http://smorris. smugmug.com/ Leaning-Against- the-Wall/ Xtracycle- Build/9568253_ heqyV#P-2- 28