Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Smorris' Xtracycle blog, build, and questions

    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 12, 2009
      On 2009-09-12, at 8:01 PM, argecko wrote:
      > http://smorris.smugmug.com/photos/647258366_HufR2-XL-2.jpg

      that's very handsome
      > As I pulled out of the driveway and started down the road, I was
      > greeted with a fair bit of fork shimmy. It was worse when I pedaled
      > than when I was coasting, and it went away as I got some speed.

      Do you have the shock at maximum resistance? The longtail geometry
      doubles the load on the front fork. Also take good care of it; I
      pretty much ate up a shock my XC, not knowing enough about fork shocks
      to take proper care of it (I am heavy).
      > Probably some of it was the fork compressing, but I'm not so sure
      > I'll be towing the bike too much. This was just two miles.

      The other way to tow a bike, is just "whole bike", with the front
      wheel in the freeloader (taking care not to wear the fabric with the
      pointy bits). I have hauled bikes 10 miles that way without too much
      problem.

      http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_3054/web.jpg?ver=12426590990004
      http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase/100060/IMG_3221/web.jpg?ver=12426592650005
      > It is a bear to back up! With just me with no load coming home, it
      > was much more stable. Not sure if it is no-hands stable, though.

      It may depend on the bike and the rider, but I find that up to 50lbs
      of load is ok no-hands, but I don't think I have no-handed hauling a
      bike.

      David
    • Bill Bonney
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 19, 2009
        That's a good point you make. I'm not sure that the length on the fork is as significant as just removing suspension. The extra leverage from the increased wheel base must effect the balance of the suspension fork. Wold be nice to experiment with stronger springs in the suspension fork. But for simplicity, the rigid fork is the easy way to go

        Bill

        On 2009-09-19, at 16:50 , Smorris wrote:

        I'm impatient, and couldn't wait until my friend returns. I temporarily put the new fork on today using the old bearings and cups, and a second stem to take up space on the long steerer tube. (The KHS has the Diatech style headset that has a conical pinch bolt that clamps up against the bottom of the stem or spacers instead of an Aheadset style clamp.) Wow, does that make a difference! Much more nimble and lighter feeling steering. It feels like a completely different bike. At fist I was disappointed with the Xtracycle, because it made a fun mountain bike feel heavy and sluggish. That's all gone now. What a drastic improvement!

        I've put three work in progress photos at the end of the "Xtracycle Build" gallery here to show what it looks like now.

        http://smorris. smugmug.com/ Leaning-Against- the-Wall/ Xtracycle- Build/9568253_ heqyV#P-2- 28