700c tire/fender combo

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2007
      Were you both using the V-rack elevators that are sposed to come with the 700c FreeRadical kit? These put the racks up about an inch and should give you plenty of clearance for a fender.

      --
      Kipchoge Spencer

      29085 Highway 49
      North San Juan CA 95960
      530/292-1401
      www.xtracycle.com
      www.gingerninjas.com
      www.myspace.com/gingermyninja

      Check out our new video for the VP: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAtSQQaWJ-0
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2007
        On 2007-03-29, at 6:51 AM, Kipchoge Spencer wrote:

        > Were you both using the V-rack elevators that are sposed to come
        > with the 700c FreeRadical kit? These put the racks up about an inch
        > and should give you plenty of clearance for a fender.
        I don't recall getting any V-rack elevators, but (rather than put my
        loads
        up another inch) I am going to a combination of the snap-deck elevator,
        and what I am doing know, which is to slice up 2-liter soda bottles, and
        zip tie-them into place as necessary.

        The snap deck definitely needs to go up with 700c tires; every once
        in a while (depending on who is riding on the back, depending on the
        un-truth of the rear wheel) the tire itself hits the deck. This is
        especially bad with snow tires; the studs carve out a groove just
        like some wood-working machinery (to preserve the wood, I've been
        rubbing beeswax in and melting it with a heat gun).

        David
      • Chris Follmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2007
          What do the elevators look like? I haven't taken it apart and my LBS installed it but I just see the V-racks going into the frame.  And yes I have been getting alot of John's emails too.
          Chris

          Kipchoge Spencer <kipchoge@...> wrote:
          Were you both using the V-rack elevators that are sposed to come with the 700c FreeRadical kit? These put the racks up about an inch and should give you plenty of clearance for a fender.

          --
          Kipchoge Spencer

          29085 Highway 49
          North San Juan CA 95960
          530/292-1401
          www.xtracycle. com
          www.gingerninjas. com
          www.myspace. com/gingermyninj a

          Check out our new video for the VP: http://youtube. com/watch? v=HAtSQQaWJ- 0

          "Success isn't defined by the things you have.
          It's defined by the things you don't need."

        • Kipchoge Spencer
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
            the rack elevators are 4 sets of 2 plastic parts. one part gets pounded into the rack with a soft hammer or such, and the other piece screws into it much like a caster would screw into the bottom of a leg. We're out of them but should have more in a few weeks.

            -kipchoge